Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our 12 week old puppy can't stop scratching...

oliviasmum
August 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
We just purchased a 12 week old border terrier cross puppy and brought her home from the breeder's farm.

She's been to the vet for her check up and other than some roundworms and conjunctivitis, both of which we got meds for she's perfectly healthy.

She was on "Waggles Premium" puppy food and we are transitioning her to the "Oven Baked" puppy food as per the directions on the bag.

Olivia has been scratching herself since we got her home. The vet said that puppies do scratch their bodies but this seems to be a lot of scratching.

I was in the pet store and he suggested maybe its allergies? He said that often times dogs are allergic to chicken or beef and the food causes her to scratch. ???

Has anyone encountered this with their dogs?

L

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM
It could just as easily be a yeast ingfection or allergy/ sensitivity to grains and this food http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/prod_pouchi_lsting.php?lang=en is heavy on the grains with very little on the easily-digested protein end.

Chicken, ground oats, fish meal, brown rice protein, ground whole barley, chicken fat (naturally preserved), ground brown rice, pearled barley, ground whole flaxseed, inulin, whole dired eggs, yucca schidigera, salt, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, garlic, taurine, vitamin E, choline chloride, beta-carotene, chondroitin sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, spinach, kelp, broccoli, sweet potato, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, riboflavin supplement, thiamine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, sodium selenite, natural flavor.

(This product may contain tracÚ amounts of peanuts)

oliviasmum
August 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Hi there,

So many things to think about. We'll ask the vet if this continues cause the poor little thing looks like she's really suffering.

Well my husband who is at home with her might be suffering more though LOL.
She's been sleeping a lot today and not really eating or drinking anything so if this continues we'll have to take her back to the vet and see what he says.

L

lbiessen
August 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM
It may be her shampoo, I know I use a fragrence free one on my little gracie.

oliviasmum
August 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hi there,

Since we brought her home we have not given her a bath yet so it couldn't be that.

My hubby thinks we should shampoo her and condition her but she has short hair. I don't see any flakes or anything.

I wish she could just tell me what's wrong. :pawprint:

Winston
August 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I dont think a bath would hurt her ..maybe she has something on her from the breeder...I wouldn't bath her all the time but maybe just to freshen her up??

Cindy

Chelly-Belly
August 30th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Poor puppy... so itchy. :sad: i don't think that it's normal for puppies to scratch often, unless something is bothering them. it could be fleas, allergies, or even ringworm or some bacteria. maybe you could get a second opinion so you could get to the bottom of the problem?

Found an article that could help you. be sure to check out the sub articles, too coz i think it has a lot of info. i didn't check it out anymore. heehee. goodluck with your pup. :goodvibes:

:dog: http://www.petshed.com/articles/how-to-stop-your-dog-scratching.html :dog: