Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are eggs dangerous?

Bluedrake
August 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hello again.

I was just talking to my mom, and we were wondering if eggs are dangerous for dogs?

I noticed a lot of people on the forum feed raw or cooked eggs to their dogs without problem, but my mother insists that she has heard that eggs could cause a reaction so severe it could result in practically instant death.:eek:

I'm sure that statement is overblown, but I would like your opinions on the matter.

Do eggs really belong with onions, chocolate and other such harmful foods? Or is it alright to feed them as treats once in a while?

If you could point me to articles about it, I would be grateful. My mom is still in the early stages of her conversion to healthy pet food, and I don't want to scare her off with inadvertantly bad advice!

I did convince her to stop feeding cheap treats loaded with sugar and artificial color though. :highfive:

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Eggs are considered a "whole food". Feed them raw or cooked with the shell (powdered or whole) and you have everything you need ~ protein and calcium ! In the summer, some people freeze them and give them whole to their dogs as a "cool" treat.

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Raw eggs are perfectly safe as long as they are fed whole.
There is concern with avidin I believe ( dont quote me just yet) in the eggs causing biotin definciency or something like that.
I remember a good general link clarifying this and I will look for it.

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Here it is. from this topic ( you can read it more thouroughly...)
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33947&highlight=avidin+biotin

And here's the link to the site in particular.
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

Bluedrake
August 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thought so.

Thanks for the tip about feeding the shell!

Isn't avidin in the white only though? I heard it was alright to feed the yolk only, but just the white is a no no. Or so I heard.

Bobby is going to become a very happy dog. :D Poor boy was sentenced to one cup of PD a day... (weight issues) No wonder he has become so bad tempered...

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The white does have the avidin and the yolk has enough biotin to balance it out.
I wouldnt feed just one or the other, the whole egg (shell and all) is the best way to go. Its natural and balanced that way.

luckypenny
August 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Isn't avidin in the white only though? I heard it was alright to feed the yolk only, but just the white is a no no. Or so I heard.

Yes, avidin is found in the white only. Avidin is believed to decrease the absorption of biotin. But, as erykah said, there's plenty of biotin in the yolk. You'll also find biotin in liver and kidney which can be fed as a supplement as well. Another nutritional supplement which can be fed is brewer's yeast, also very high in biotin. We've fed whole raw eggs to every dog/cat we've had without any problems at all.

sugarcatmom
August 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
You can feed egg whites by themselves if they're cooked. In fact, cooked egg whites are a great addition to an older animal's diet because they boost the protein content but are low in phosphorous (excess phosphorous is hard on ailing kidneys).

stergeR
September 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
will it be okay for me to just smash the shell into little pieces before feeding?

TIA :D

rainbow
September 7th, 2007, 12:24 AM
will it be okay for me to just smash the shell into little pieces before feeding?

TIA :D

Absolutely. :pawprint:

Ford Girl
September 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Dazy eats an egg or two a week, shell and all, raw or frozen, she loves them.

Caution: may cause smelly gas! I feed them in the am so any gas she gets is released outside during the day! hahah! :laughing: