Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

anxious dog chews own foot

tiggbert
August 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
my single friend's shepherd chow is a 12 year old momma's boy! he has developed the habit of licking and chewing on a couple of hot spots on his front paw. The area is completely free of fur and is red and raw. She has tried some natural herbal linaments but although they do deter this behaviour for a short period of time, the area never gets a chance to heal.

Whenever she leaves him alone to go to work, etc. she does provide large raw bones for him to chew on. Also if given the opportunity he will chew the crotches out of any of her garments.

Any suggestions on how to cure this behaviour or treatments to heal the sores would be greatly appreciated.

:shrug:

punkyamberlea
August 28th, 2007, 08:39 PM
it could be a type of allergie that is making him chew on his feet. for the clothing she just needs to make sure nothing is left out for him to get. AMber

pitgrrl
August 28th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I know a few people who have had really good results with a DAP diffuser.
http://www.healthypets.com/dapdogappher.html

It also might be a matter of breaking the chewing cycle long enough to allow healing and hopefully stop the chewing. Has your friend tried baby socks or dog boots while she's at work?

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Whenever she leaves him alone to go to work, etc. she does provide large raw bones for him to chew on.

Maybe a frozen Kong filled with plain yogourt or peanut butter would last him longer. Ditto on not leaving clothes where he can get to them. It could be boredom , is he getting enough exercise ? And it can be allergies too. A trip to the vet would help.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Poor dog..... his foot is red and raw then he needs to be seen by a vet. What is she feeding him?

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine had that problem with her dog, it was food allergies. Corn and wheat are two big allergens in food. Check with your vet about doing some testing, or try some dog food that is grain free.

Would it be a good idea to keep an Elizabethian collar on your dog for a while so it will heal?