Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Think we found the answer :)

Rottielover
August 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
He guys, today I went to another vet, who is way out in cow country. I needed to get clean eyes on the problem, it was only worsening.
Well We did a full blood panel, and other blood work, a fecal analysis, and more.
They have a lab in their vet office, so we waited around for 45 mins, and bam, we got some answers.
Harley has pancreatic insufficiency. And too many different bacterias to name them all. All because of his pancreas.
He is on the metrozidole, for 10 days, he is on nova limerode for 10 days, and on Viokase for the rest of his life.
We have to drive back there next thurs to see if anything is working, also he must go on a high protein, high carbohydrate, low fat food.
Anyone have any suggestions, Food will play the up most importance. Must be all those things, so even if a crappy food, it will be better than what is going on now.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Wow that is great news! Always nice to have a fresh pair of eyes to look at something, whether it be a spreadsheet or health issues.

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I do hope you got your answer ! Wouldn't that be great ! So he has to be on Viokase ? Never heard of it , hope it's not too expensive :fingerscr You should check out the Dog's journal food list (I think it's somewhere in the food forum)

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Im glad that you have some answers finally.
A fresh set of eyes can make the world of a difference.
:grouphug: to you and Harley.

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
So he has to be on Viokase ? Never heard of it , hope it's not too expensive :fingerscr

In case you haven't come across this yet, this site is very informative Rottielover (and everybody else!)

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/viokase.html

I can't think of a single commercially prepared food that will meet your requirements. Are you thinking raw or home-cooked might be possible ? The only other thing I can think to do would be to feed a product like EVO (high protein) and supplement his diet with home-cooked carbs (easier on the budget than the other way around).

Rottielover
August 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evo is not low fat which is the top priority right now, I can always add pasta, or something to his diet for carbs, but the High protein, low fat is most important.
The vet wants me to get around 7-9% fat ONLY

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
The vet wants me to get around 7-9% fat ONLY

Almost all the food on my list is about 3 to 5% (fat) is it too low ?

Hogansma
August 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
That is great news! Have you checked out the senior foods (low in fat)? Maybe call a pet store and get them working on it for you. I cook up drained tuna, rice and veggies for my 2 dogs and it is quite cheap and low in fat. They also love it. They get regular dry dog food for breakfast but what counts is the total daily intake. I just put it all in a rice cooker or steamer so it takes very little time. Good luck and hope he continues to improve!:thumbs up

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I know Harley did have some issues on raw before... will these new meds help him to overcome the issues he had? Or are you afraid to go there again with that?
I dont blame you one minute if you are.
Its going to be tough to find that specific food you are going to need for him. What about home cooking?
Honestly the only way I can see you having Harley eat what he is supposed to is by making it your self in some way.

Rottielover
August 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
if it too low, I can add to it.
He has been on raw, but I am scared to put him on anything now

TeriM
August 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Hmmm, I would probably go with the Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. It is at 12% fat and has a pretty simple formula. You could then supplement with additional protein as needed.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (min) 22%
Available in 1.5lb, 8lb,
and 30lb bags

Crude Fat (min) 12%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.8%
Moisture (max) 10%
Calcium (min) 1.12%
Phosphorus (min) .9%
*Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.75%
*Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.3%

*not recognized as an essential nutrient by the A.A.F.C.O. dog food nutrient profile.

INGREDIENTS

Salmon Meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Oat fiber, Inulin (FOS), Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (vit. D3), dl Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (vit. E), Ferrous Sulfate, *Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (vit. C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vit. B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin K, Vitamin B12.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Wellness CORE makes a reduced fat formula:

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/dog_wellness_grain_reduced.html

Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Whitefish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins, Minerals, Choline Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract.

WellnessŪ uses Ethoxyquin-free protein sources.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein min. 33%
Crude Fat min. 9%
Crude Fat max. 10%
Crude Fiber max. 8.5%
Moisture max. 10%
Calcium max. 1.9%
Phosphorus max. 1.3%
Vitamin E min. 500 IU/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* min. 2.2%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* min. 0.50%
Glucosamin Hydrochloride* min. 250 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* min. 200 mg/kg
Total Micro-organisms* min. 80,000,000 CFU/lb

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Did you get my fax Rottielover ?

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:
I'm hoping that this is the answer you have been looking for :highfive:

:grouphug:

krdahmer
August 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM
:grouphug: Glad you finally got some solid answers. Hope he improves for the next visit!:pray:

Rottielover
August 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you frenchy, yes I did get it.
I am putting him on solid gold holistic. With added protein for muscle maintenance. But nothing with fat in it. This will be a chore.
I have made myself sick reading about this. I am so worried for my baby.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you frenchy, yes I did get it.
I am putting him on solid gold holistic. With added protein for muscle maintenance. But nothing with fat in it. This will be a chore.
I have made myself sick reading about this. I am so worried for my baby.

What formula of Solid Gold doesn't have fat in it? :confused:

Rottielover
August 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM
it is called solid gold holistic blend.

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM
:highfive: woohoo :grouphug: I'm so glad to hear Harley has been given a definative diagnosis. Hopefully this will be the start to smooth sailing for you & Harley :grouphug: