Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what is the meaning of your pets name???

melanie
May 18th, 2004, 03:47 AM
well we have so many strange names flying around here (from tron to bob) it would be really interesting to find out what they mean to you. well i started the thread so i am going first :p .
Charlie is my ladies name. most people assume she is a boy (growl) and i get odd looks when people meet her (she is the only girl charlie i know)..
she is charlie because- there once was a kids cartoon movie called all dogs go to heaven. the lead character was a boy GSD looking thing (but tan with white chest) and he was the hero of the movie, in the end of the movie he saves all the cats and dogs for death. i knew then that would be a name for me one day. years and moons later, i met a poor neglected pup who was GSDX and tan with a white chest. i rescued her from the pigs that had her and i knew who she was straight away, it was my charlie, yay. :D :D and we live happily ever after loving each other to bits, we are the happiest gals i know. :D :D :D :D now your turn... :p

woodbyter
May 18th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Dynamyte - a 5 1/2 pound poodle, 14 years old and is named because she is all heart and guts. Small package and a loud bang.

Jazzy - The huge hound of the Baskervilles A rescue from a home when the people moved out and left a parvo infected puppy in the front yard. My wife named her because she liked the name and the dog has the most expressive eyes and face of any dog we have ever had.

BO - A white German Shepherd named by my wife after her husband (ME).

Mr. Pye - A Siamese Cat. My wife liked the story Bell, Book and Candle. The star cat was Pywacket.

Charlie - A Siamese Cat rescued from a busy highway where someone had dumped two kittens. Charlie is into everything and very investigative thus he is named after "Charlie Chan" the great detective.

Ching - A Siamese Cat rescued by my wife. Ching is a strange kitty who loves dogs and is never happier than when smoozing with a dog - any dog.
She keeps the house in harmony.
She is named after the balancing half of "Ching" and Chang or Ying and Yang.
Woody :D

chico2
May 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Rocky...named after the boxer in the movie,he came from a farm,great big paws and strong legs.
Chico...my son named him,because he had the colour of chicory.
Vinnie..after Winston Churchill Industrial Park where he was found.
Nothing overly imaginative :D

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Good topic Mel :D

Sadie was named after a Cree Indian Midwife that delivered my mother (her story of it).....

I called her Sadie after jumbling the letters of all our previous dogs names together!

Ironically we both came up with the same name w/o knowing what the other thought!

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
You guys have much better imaginations than I do. I'm lousy at naming pets..some never even GOT a name.:(

I came up with "Chloe" on the way home from picking her up, cause I just wanted a cute girlie name to make people less afraid of her, and it does sometimes work!

Also the name she came with did not appeal to me - "Rhonda"!

chico2
May 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Rhonda :eek: what an awful name for a dog...I can just hear it,Here Rhonda,come here now!! :D

mona_b
May 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Well Tron was named after the video game "Tron"..Brother named him.. :rolleyes:

And Yukon(way before the truck..lol),was named after,ummmmmmmm,well,uhhhhhhh....OK I'll just spit it out.....Potatoes...Yes,Yukon Gold....... :D

Casper was named after Casper the cartoon.Considering he is all white..LOL...I thought of that name as I was in the bathroom at Timmys.... :D

Winnie,well she went from Cocao,to Amber then finally Kyra came up with Winnie...She LOVES Winnie the Pooh....And there was NO way I was letting Kyra name her Pooh....LOL

My previous GSD of 13 years was named Cujo after the movie....But he was no Cujo.... :)

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I was much more imaginative with my rats.

Daisy Mae Needlenose, Ashley Peebody (named for his moistness), Greta Garbo and Alvis the Great.
:cool:

cmt489
May 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Nadia, my Himilayan, came first. Well, being a Himi, she needed a snooty name to match her snooty persona (albeit, she is anything but snooty and a total cuddlebum) but she does have certain air (or should I say hair - oh God the hair - it's spring) about her... :rolleyes:

Oliver, my Shiba, came next. Well, he had to have a name that could stand up next to "Nadia", so Sir Oliver it was. Since he was named right off, his breeder even had his papers coincide with his call name and she registered him as "Sunojo's Ironsides" (Ironsides was a nickname for Sir Oliver Cromwell). Now this is one dog that suits his name - bold, fearless, and a pain in the butt to those who oppose him. I will check to make sure he doesn't have any coups planned and that my head will remain firmly attached to my body... :D

Michelle

wAggie
May 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
AWWWWWWWWW, Melanie, that was my first video that I got from my mommy when we came to ka-na-da :D

mona - Tron lmao!

cmt, u fanny :p

Choco-well, Chocolate- I named him that bc... I love Chocolate :D teehee, ok, and he's got a Chocolate head? and he's coloured chocolate... pretty simple.

oh, and I love chocolate :D :p :o

Honey --> ask Luba :p

Bill & Bob
May 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Bob's my oldest brother. Good guy. Very loyal. Doesn't say a whole lot. Would do anything for me, and I'd do the same for him. Used to get into quite a bit of trouble. We used to hang around all the time when I was a little kid.

melanie
May 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
well i must say that i think rhonda (but would she be more helpful, help me rhonda, help, help me rohonda)would have been too weird and she would have bitten you if you didnt change it, there is a guy up the road with a dog named Andrew, i think that is such a strange name for a dog.
my mum had a cat called horse and a dog called dog (from New zealand cartoon, foot root flats). sounded really stupid when she called them at night, she would cry 'horse, dog'..
i one had mice, janice and jimmy.
chooks were called - white chook, brown chook, matilda, gertrude and henny penny (miss them sooo much, sigh, but hubby promises me a huge flock by the end of next year, he better or else.....my beautiful white chook (bantum) lives down the road now on a farm and hopefully we will be again together some day. she can sing and loves dogs, she cuddles up to them. and she will follow me all day and we sing together) i tease charlie and say in a high voice' here took took took took' (imagine what the neighbours think)and she comes running with a big smile :D :D :D
what a mix, potato dogs, chocolate dogs, pee on yourself rats,
my favorite (not really, too hard to choose but if i need one it is)- mr pye, that is pretty cute and imaginative :D :p :D

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Honey = first thing that came to my mind when I saw her behind the bars at the shelter!

The name just flew outta my mouth and it stuck, she responded to it and seemed to like it...now there's Honey and Chocolate LMAO and they're both rescued from the same pound. haha! Go figure

Kona Dawg
May 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I'm into mountain biking, and Kona is a Brand of Mountain bikes from B.C.
They actually have a model in their line up called the Dawg so it fits well.

I had never really thought of using Kona as a name until when I was looking for a dog of my own (parents have an american cocker (Daisy) and a Brittany(Rocky)
I new I wanted a rescue/shelter dog and I was looking for a Lab Border collie X
(Basically a Border collie with webbed feet)

I finally found one at the Ottawa Humane society and her name was Kona, I instantly fell in love with her picture, went there the next day to fill out the forms and adopt her. She had been adopted out the previous night :(

My coworker saw me constanly on the net at work searching for a dog by this point and led me to the sister of his dog. An old guy who lives a few doors from my buddies parents up in Quebec had her, and could no longer take care of her for health reasons(he was in the hospital for cancer) My buddies dad made sure she had food and water, but knew this couldn't go on for ever, and arranged for me to pick her up.

In a few more years I will get Kona a Border collie buddy, and I'm thinking of naming him Trek (another bike company)

Karin
May 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Ciara was named after my favorite perfume. She has other names as well, like the "uber goober dawg", or "goobs" for short. She also answers to "McGoofus", she aquired this name as a puppy, goofy is as goofy does.

One of my long time dear friends, which I am trying to get here to this board, has a Scottie named "Duncan". Duncan is 1 year older than Ciara and they are pals....I was the one who neutered Duncan and on that day I dubbed him "Duncan-NoNuts". The name stuck.

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Duncan-NoNuts Hahaha! :D

melanie
May 19th, 2004, 01:07 AM
poor duncan, lol :D karin are you a vet or vet nurse?? just wondering :D , hopefully you are not an australian farmer doing the old gum boot trick(yuck) :p
ps i once saw a woman bite the testicals of a sheep, used to be quite common here with farmers (they use rings now) poor sheepys, but now is only done for show, ooooow grose :D :p :eek:

mizzlittle
May 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
okay...

Ceide (my sweet little Tibetan Terrier) was called that when she arrived in our home during autumn (fall)... I collected her and instead of going straight into the house she jumped into my dad's mercedes... so my mum called her cede - though when the Kennel Club got their hands her papers she became In May's Memory (the name her breeders got her) and Ceide with an i...

Holly... (our little white maltese) I brought her home (without warning) to my parents one week before christmas, they fell for her straight away and we spent hours going through names and calling them to her to see if they suited her when she started pulling decorations off the Christmas Tree everyone just said Holly and so thats what she became... my sister has now added vallance (as in the blanket on your bed) onto the end of it cause thats what my sister thinks she looks like... personally I think she looks like Elizabeth Taylor!

Taz.. (newest addition Tibetan Terrier) he came with that name though he doesn't seem to know it for a 2 1/2yr old which is strange... so maybe that could be changed.... though when you say Taz the Tibetan Terriorist it kind of has a ring to it!

Ali is my tortoise she is 8 yrs old and came from Africa... so Ali Baba came to mind...

Ossie Oscar is my fish he is about as big as Holly now and we've had him almost as long as we have had Ali and has about as much personality as the other kids (pets) do his breed of fish is called Oscar so thats what stuck...

We also had Fred and Flo the dolphin nosed fish, Sam and Ella oh can't remember the name of the breed of fish they were and Rod and Todd... (RIP)

We had Liz and Rex the Chameleons (liz as in Lizard and Rex as in T Rex)

oh and I had a tarantula and I called him cuddles - well he was furry!!!

yes at one point our house was kind of like a zoo! (awh the good old days *thinks about expanding the family again*)

wAggie
May 19th, 2004, 05:32 PM
wow!

mizzlittle, post some pictures, PLEASE :)

Luba
May 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Look at these names and lists WOW! :D

Catt31
May 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Wow - totally coolio!!! Waggie, where did you live before Canada?? Here's my menagerie list:

Spunky - was a hyper lil **** when I got her, tried carrying her home in a box but she kept jumping out of the box like a fish out of water! AKA Spunkaroo.

Tux - my good friend Lucie named him when he showed up on her doorstep. She couldn't keep him so I took him in so he didnt' have to go to the pound. He is black and white, so the Tuxedo part fit him. He is also affectionately known around the house as ****head, tuxaroni macaroni, tuxJesus, etc. etc.

Brick - wanted a one syllable word so when Tim and I were driving home from the pound, waiting to pick him up the next day, we rambled off a whole bunch. We were talking about how muscular he is all over even though he was so scrawny - and I said, "Yeah he is built like a brick ****house" - hence the name Brick! Many people say its cuz he's thick like a brick, but he's not..he is a very smart boy - too smart for his own good some days!!

Sonic - my students in Gr. 2 last year named him after the play station character
Silent Bob - the movie character that Kevin Smith plays (Jay and Silent Bob movies)
Annie - she is an ANOLE (ann -ole -ee), so she got Annie and her brother (RIP) was named Ollie.
George - George the gecko just sounded cool
Kaimah - in an African dialect, means tiny one and she is the smallest of the 2 snails
Kamau - in an African dialect, means silent warrior and he is the biggest of the 2
Dave - named before I met him, but I think it had something to do with dope
Jenn & Jane - named before I met them

melanie
May 19th, 2004, 09:03 PM
OMG, that is a family and a half, is there any food left for you at the end of the day?? :D :p :)

Catt31
May 19th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Yeppers!!! There's always lots of crickets to eat before the lizards get them!! LOL I love it though!!! Always something to watch or do!! Our newest entertainment is watching the snails DEVOUR watermelon in seconds!! Its great fun!!! :D

wAggie
May 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM
omg, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

i NEVER imagined snails could do something fast :p :p

i LOVED playing w snails when i was a child... my brother and i would pick them from the garden and "race" them on the sandbox in our garden :D

k, Catt... lol, I'm born and raised ( till approx age 7 ) in Poland. :) how'd u figure i wasnt "canadian"? ;)

kasher+tazz
May 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
I dont have particuarly good reasons for my babies names.

tazz came from the rspca called charlie but he is so fast we called him tazzer after the tazmanian devil...

Kasha was named because i spent 6 weeks waiting for her to be old enough to leave her mum and being an expectant mum myslef made lists and searched high and low for a name for her and that is the one that stuck...

mustard the hamster because she is mustard color...a bit obious i know.

And bob the rabbit - just seemed to fit

My little neice who cant speak properly yet calls him 'bob the babbit'

mizzlittle
May 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v186/lsxiekittie/CeideMay.jpg

This is Ceide... she is 8 or 9mths old in this picture

mizzlittle
May 20th, 2004, 07:43 AM
and this is my Holly (Vallance/Berry)

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v186/lsxiekittie/nananaHolly.jpg

Catt31
May 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Awww cute!!!

Waggie, you mentioned something about a movie your mom gave you when you first came to Canada - I just put 2 and 2 together!!! I'm so very observant!!! LOL :D

I'm trying to get a "watermelon" eating snail pic so will have that to post soon I hope - they are snoozing right now though!! :rolleyes:

chico2
May 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Awwww Mizzlittle they are soooo cute,it must be kind of wild in your household,those little guys are energetic :D

mizzlittle
May 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM
oh its fun and games when you come home from work and you get jumped on by the lot all looking for belly rubs and find where the treat is (I hide treats in one of my pockets or my bag and whichever one of them finds it gets it) I'll post pics of Taz and the gang later

wAggie
May 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Catt.... DOH! :o :o :o :o

mizzlittle, they're beeeeautiful! how well do they get along and did u have any difficulty @ first?

mizzlittle
May 21st, 2004, 06:53 AM
Well the reason I got Holly was to be Ceide's friend/pet as she had a false pregnancy and cried for about 4weeks afterwards even when the vet had given her hormones... so Holly was Ceide's early Christmas present...

There is almost a year and a half between them so we were a bit worried at first but Ceide took to Holly though the first two weeks were a bit rocky... Holly kept following Ceide around and trying to grab her boobs/legs and well anything thinking that this is where her mom used to give her food, Ceide tolerated this and Holly but when Holly came over Ceide got up until Holly realised that if she sat still in time Ceide would come to her on her terms and not on Holly's, but now they are inseparable Holly I think is convinced she is a Tibetan and has the deepest bark I have ever heard from such a little dog - my neighbours thought she was a gsd!

Now Taz is part of the family he is getting in on the fun and games... Ceide instantly took to him (she has mellowed out after Holly) but Holly is still a bit reserved... though she is more tolerant of him than other dogs which she won't even let near her!

I don't know what I'd do without them!

wAggie
May 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM
omggggg, now that's an awesome story.

they sound peeeerfect for one another

LUCKY U! :D

heidiho
May 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know what the name Damien means?? I heard it is sweet and harmless but no one believes me..

Catt31
May 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the name means, but I do know that many movies have portrayed "Damien" as the 'devil child'.......not sure why but thats what the name is associated with, which is why people probably don't believe you when you tell them what it means. It's just a stereotypical name thing, thanks to society!! There should be a website that tells you the meanings of names...just do a search on google - meanings of names. I'll take a peek for you and get back to ya!!

K, got it!!!
In Greek it means "to tame", but in French, it means "untamed".

Damien French Untamed
Damien French Variant of Damon one who tames; subdues. The Belgian priest Father Damien gave his life helping the Hawaiian lepers of Molokai. 3rd Century St. Damian is patron of physicians.

melanie
May 21st, 2004, 06:38 PM
oh i saw those movies to waggie, oh damien was an evil boy in those horror movies but you have gotto read the books far more graphic, i read them as a young teen and they will stay with me forever,ohhh. but i have some lovely damian friends so that cancels that out doesnt it?? :D :D

goldenblaze
October 29th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Just came across this post and it is very interesting.
I don't have a real exciting story behind the boys names but wanted to tell it anyway ;)

Blaze, I named him. Before seeing him we could only guess what he looked like. I really love Nugget but Marty ( my husband ) didn't like it much, I loved Cashew, he didn't I waited till we picked him up and for some reason Blaze came out of my mouth :) and Marty like it too. I call him Blazer or Blazen alot too. :)

Jordon ( Jordie ) I named him after the son I never had.
I loved the name and always planned on using it for my son, I was never blessed enough to have children so I gave it to my little Shih Tzu son. It fits him great I like both their names but I do see many on here I love too. :)

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Cano had his name when we got him. The guy we bought him from was one of James' friends so we do know the story behind it.

He bought Cano for his young son. His son named him volcano, but was too young to say the whole word, and pronounced it cano. So that is where he got his name from. The boys mom wanted to get rid of Cano, because of allergies. Poor little boy, only got to have Cano for a month or so. :(

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 07:11 AM
I've had 4 Den-Dens, each named in honor of the one before. Den-Den #1 was in the 60's. Kennedy was in the White House and his son, John-John. It got to be a fad for girls to call their bf's hyphenated names. I met my hubby, Dennis, and jokingly called him Den-Den. He didn't like it. Couple years later I got my puppy and called him Den-Den. Puss-Puss? It just seemed to fit.

BamaRama
October 30th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Peanut - We named our Green-Cheek Conure this after another Green-cheek named Peanut. I just really liked the name, and I had bonded well with the other GC, so I thought if I named mine Peanut, we'd bond well too:)

Elmo--Elmo is deaf...and he's all white...I rescued him from PJ's Pets...the girl at the pet store told me that because he was the runt and he was deaf he was always getting beat on as a tiny kitten (I got him at 5 weeks) and that they couldn't sell him because of his 'defects' so I said "If I had the money I would take him home" And she said "Well you can have him for free." So, I took him home. Sorry. I'm kinda digressing on this name story here. But anyways, I've had him now for 2 years and he's a little psycho, but fun:) It really shows that he was maybe beat on by his siblings a little too much, my bf and I joke around that he has brain damage, he's so stupid. But we love him:) Anyways, I just liked the name Elmo:) It stuck.

Gonzo--Rescued from a shelter, and I named him that in keeping with the Jim Henson theme.

Scooter---Rescued as well from a shelter, also in keeping with the Jim Henson theme, but he has lived up to his name well, i nicknamed him Scoots because he actually does kinda scoot around..instead of running, he does that side-ways bushy tailed crab-walk thing that cats do when they're playing...hehe...he does that ALL THE TIME!! It's cute.

I love my fur/feather babies:)

Mysts38
October 30th, 2004, 08:39 AM
We must have gone through 100 names before we settled on Hannah..I just wanted something soft and gentle that would suit a female golden..and when we saw her..we knew she was a Hannah....now as you can see she is soft and gentle

diandpat
October 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Cute stories, all of them!

Ginger (Golden Ret) was already named when we adoted her. Evidently the kids in her first French family liked her color but "Gingembre" just isn't that easy to say! (We live in Montreal!) So, in so much as the Spice Girls were all the rage in the early 90's they called her Ginger (English translation) after Ginger Spice!!!! Probably would not have been my first choice but hey she was seven years old and had been thru enough already. Mostly we call her Ging, Gingersnaps, or Snaps. Honestly, if you are holding food she will come to any name!!!!

Our little guy we found running around on the street so in the first week when we were looking for his family (always the optimist!) I would refer to him as "the little Hobo". When it became obvious that no one was looking for him and we decided to keep him he was already answering to that title so we just shortened it to Hobo. People laugh when I call him because he really does look like a Hobo too so I guess it fits.

diandpat
October 30th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Mizzlittle, that picture of Ceide looks so much like a puppy wheaten terrier. How old is that dog now and did(will) her fur change color? Darling little "stuffed animal" like pose! What a cutie.

Copper'sMom
October 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Copper - was named from the movie The Fox and the Hound. He reminded me of the hound dog in the movie so I named him Copper. I had a hard time naming him because he had no personality when I first got him. All he did was sleep!! The name suits him well, as he grew up his hair(fur) turned from light tan to a copper colour!

Max- I used to babysit a little boy named Max. He was a cutie(and still is at 15!). I thought this name suited him because he was cute and was a little hellion at times just like the boy I babysat.

Bud- was adopted so that's the name he came with. It suits him well. He's a macho cat.

CJ - I don't know why I chose this name. Something different I guess. She was a stray(found her when I babysat Max at a new place his family moved to. The previous owners left her there!) She also answers to "My Pretty Princess Poo." She is a timid girl and loves her momma!!

Mysts38
October 30th, 2004, 10:49 AM
grace...ah how appropriate

moontamara
November 1st, 2004, 06:07 AM
I named my toy poodle Casey because he didn't seem all that masculine and I needed a cute girlish boy name. I came up with a reason shortly after I started calling him Casey. Since "Casey" can also be spelled "KC" the "K" stands for Korea and the "C" stands for Canada.

Sadly, Koreans who don't speak English particularly well tend to pronounce it "Kay-shee" which I'm not overly fond of... oh well.

Luvmypit
November 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM
I wish I would have named capone something else. I like the name and it suits him. But I wish I would have thought of a less threatning name considering his breed. But capone obviously is from Al capone. No particular reason just thought capone was somewhat original although I know there are other dogs named capone I have met after i named him. I usually call him Pone or pony... he answers to all..... My other dog that died about 2 years ago :( (loved that dogs so much!) his name was Bo and that was after Bo diddly when they used to have the Bo does this and Bo does that commercials..

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Our little girl got her name from a stuffed toy. "Diamond Plush Toys" makes the toys you see in those "claw" machines. We were at the bar one night and went on a winning spree on the machine. One of the toys I won was a little stuffed GSD. Well, it was so cute it's the centerpiece of my stuffies. When we got a GSD puppy, it was sheer luck she looked just like the little toy.

Thus...Diamond was named.

Not to mention, I wanted a registered name of "Diamond-in-the-ruff vom Canisphere". But she was a B litter. Upset, just a little. So, our little "Baroness vom Canisphere" was born.

heeler's rock!
November 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Awesome thread!

My furbabies names and what they mean:

DOGS
1. Red - Red was named by the rescue group I got her from so I decided to keep it.
2. Helix - Helix was also named by the rescue group so we decided to keep it.
3. Kia - Pronounced with the I long, not like the car company. We named her after our friends GSD cross pup that was stolen from his backyard.

CATS
1. Jacob - He was named after my first bunny ever that died in my arms when I was 13.
2. Elliott - He was named after my dad's friend's dog. That dog was the first dog in my life and I loved her to bits. She was amazingly sweet.
3. Nova - This is the kitty hubby and I found just last weekend wandering around the neighbourhood, and she is named after a client's dog who died at the age of 2 from cancer caused by pesticides.

RABBITS
1. Kiwi - I just thought this was a cute name!
2. Onyx - This was chosen because he's got black fur.

TOADS
1. Sprocket - He was named after Spacely Space Sprockets from The Jetsons.
2. Cogs - He was named after Cogswell Cogs from The Jetsons! :D

mastifflover
November 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Both of my kids are rescues so I thought why change their names. Both of them have their original names but they do have a ton of other names I call them.
Buddy English Mastiff
George English Bulldog (foster child)

elmoy
November 2nd, 2004, 07:44 AM
My baby Brigid is named after the Irish moon Goddess Brigit. But spelled in the Irish way.

She is a little "goddess" diva is probably more like it! ;)

sujean
November 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM
heh, i feel like i should join in all the fun!

Tyson (Belgian Malnois): he came from the humane society named that. we tried to change the name but after 6 years with that name, nothing else seems to stick. but we do call him Chicken (which he responds to) for the chicken manufacturer initially. but after a while, it was more b/c he is scared of the cats and well, everything else that goes bump in the night-at 90 pounds, imagine that!

sebastian (18 lb tiger cat): hubbie is a big classical music fan hence johann sebastian bach. but he is also affectionately known as sebutt butt, buttchen, fatty mcfats. somehow when he first got him we were fixated on his butt...

nina (sebastian's sister): for nina simone-which is calm and soothing...which our cat is nothing of the sort...the only other name we call her mrs. poop stick as she likes to poop outside the box

fuki (tuxedo cat): he started as FUMANCHU for the chinese character. fuki (for short) has the longest whiskers and eyebrows you can every imagine. and when he was curious and got too close to a candle, the singed eyebrows looked too much like the old scraggly eyeborws of the old chinese man...antoher affectionate name is foocker and when he is bad, the o's get dropped from his name and is replaced with a u...

oscar (cat): oscar has no description except that he is COMPLETELY gay!! he likes to wear a little pink scrunchy and prances around proudly.

that's it... :D

krdahmer
November 12th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Wow there are some really cool names!

Here are some of mine.... (nlwm= no longer with me)
1st cat(nlwm-unknown)- Little Bones- from the Tragically Hip Song
2nd cat(nlwm-lives in Kinlough)- Eldorado- excerpt from a Tragically Hip Song AKA Little El
3rd cat(nlwm-now my mom's)- Cordelia- yep you guessed it, after the Hip song AKA Peedy (started out as speedy), Chicken, Tuuurkey, Cordy

Current Kitties
Windy- brought her home on a windy day...but she also grew into it and gave it new meaning because I have never seen a kitten fart like that!!! AKA Missy, Big Girl, Pretty Missy, Purdy Girl

Smoke- she was part of a duo, her brother was Ashes, so they were Smoke and Ashes due to their colouring and after the 13 Engines song. Ashes had distemper and did not make it. :sad: AKA Little One, Little Missy, Schmokey, Little Turkey, Growly, Hissy

Buddy- well it just kinda fits...it was what I called him before I knew his name when he used to come visit me every afternoon on my porch (first meeting was me poking my BBQ cover and him lumbering out from underneath, yawning and stretching). Plus I was not keen on the name his former loogan owners gave him- 'Bucca' no doubt after the shot. AKA Bud, Handsome Boy, Big Boy, Hey Leave Your Sister Alone

Fagan- the little orange new guy, Irish origin, means fiery and small. AKA Little Fella, Cutie

Oh and my other little rescue kitties that were named by their new owners...
Zeke- orange male my brother has
George- orange male my best friend has
Shadow- the black and gray female my parents have

Schwinn
November 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Daisy, because my wife wanted to give her a name that was opposite of what people think when they hear "pitbull" (she told me Killer was out). Originally, she said Precious, but I said no way, all the other dogs, cats, and any other furry woodland creature she came upon would kick the crap out of her! (She named her cats Sweetpea and Newbie. I'm convinced they won't go outside for that very reason...I've told her she can't name our kids...) We didn't realise how appropriate Daisy was until a weatherman on TV held one up an said, "Daisies...how can something look so pretty and smell so bad?" We both laughed and went "Perfect!" (Farty puppy!)

My first dog was named Fang...he bit my grandma when he was a pup.

Dukieboy
November 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Duke, after my grandfathers late boston bull. I think it means noble leader.

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Bear-looked like a bear cub when we first rescued him. We lived in the country at the time, and we were always afraid someone would shoot him thinking he was a bear cub.

Aerial-the resident diva cat. She's named after the firetruck her mommy drives.

Buzzy (R.I.P.)-our other diva cat, except he was 28 lbs at the time of his death, he sounded like a chainsaw when he purred, thus the name "buzz".