Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food experiment over.

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
First the litter, and now the food.

For about a month now, I've been experimenting with different canned foods to see what brands Vlad and Oksana like best. While I want them to eat as healthy as possible, I also want them to like what they are eating. If they don't like it, they won't eat it.

So after many different foods, I realized they like best Pet Gold and the Friskies elegant gourmet foods. The Pet Gold has the chunks they like, with the tuna and crabmeat, which they love, and they also like the souffle type consistency of the Friskies. So their main diet consists of the wet, while I leave them some dry so they can munch on during the day while I'm at work.

I know Friskies seems like a cheap brand, but they like the taste, and they've been around since I was little, so they have to be doing something right.

I've tried Iams, Eukaneuba, Natures Old Mother Hubbard, and one other I can't remember the name of. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know, as I want to make sure I've tried as many as possible for them.

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Have you tried these ? Innova and Merrick's are very good manufacturers of dog food so I imagine their cat food is also high quality.

http://www.innovapet.com/products/default.asp?id=34

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=52&s=20250

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I've not seen the Innova or the other, but I did see they are sold near me. I'm going to give those a try. Thanks!

rainbow
August 28th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Since the pet food recall I would not feed any canned food that is chunks and gravy style. I will only feed the pate style.

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I started on the pate style, they would only pick at it. I've looked on several lists and I haven't seen Pet Gold or the Friskies on any of them.

clm
August 29th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I've tried all the good canned foods and mine will only eat friskies or fancy feast, fancy feast is the preferred. They get Orijen dry, but that's as far as they'll go. Mine hate the chunky kind anyway, so it's only pate style for them.

Cindy

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Oh Fancy Feast is what I meant. They love it! That and the Pet Gold is by far their favorite. I also found they like the Purina Complete and Fancy Feast dry as well.

Jim Hall
August 29th, 2007, 09:00 AM
yumm pet gold is wonderfull first thing in the morning to open a can and see a sardine head staring at ya

own under likes fish the smellier the better what I do is mix some pet godl in with some beef or chicken food so she eats it

she would eat fish exclusuly if i let her

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
The sardine one is the least favorite of theirs. I've tried all the flavors I could find at Petco, and they smelled it, took a taste and walked away LOL. Their favorite is the tuna and crab meat one.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I have tried my cats on many quality foods, but their all time favourite is Fancy Feast, pate only, fish flavours. Why can't they make the quality ones to smell like Fancy Feast????

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
LOL, they really do look pretty appetizing. I decided though, even though they don't seem high quality, these brands have been around for years. I remember seeing them when I was a wee thing. They've lasted this long because they must be doing something right, and I know a few people who only feed their cats and dogs these store brands and they are healthy animals. I know one person who's fed her cat strictly Friskies for 16 years and her cat has never had any kind of health issue.

krdahmer
August 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM
MY guys always ate the Friskies/ Fancy Feast stuff, until I introduced that Merrick's... man they go nuts for that now, heck it looks good enough for me to eat some days...:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Well that Fancy Feast gourmet looks pretty appetizing too! LOL, I was looking at the Wild Salmon with whipped eggs one and for a split second though, "Do I dare?" LOL, but I didn't!

I found a couple of places that sell Merricks here. I'm going to go by this weekend and pick up a few cans to see how they like it.