Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is switching to a higher quality food always the right thing to do?

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I recently read up on what I've been feeding my pets, and was annoyed to find out that Iams and Purina One were not as good as they claimed (or worth the price they charge).

I made the switch from P1 to Canidae for the dog, but the cat is not liking switching to Felidae, and one person commented that perhaps I shouldn't, if she is 16 and healthy on Iams.

Iams is not a horrible food, but for the price they charge a better one can be bought, imo.

On principle, I don't wish to continue paying premium price for not-so-premium food, and it seems that better food must be better for her, but at the same time if she's doing so well on the Iams, it might be wrong to switch at 16 years.

Does anyone know of any studies on this, what nutritionists say?

Thanks.

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thing is, there is no studies done to say that higher quality foods are better, most of the pet food studies done are done by Purina and Iams so its a biased opinion.
However, just by looking at the ingredients and asking yourself " why, why is that specific ingredient in my cats food and what good can it possibly do for him/her" and doing a little research on the ingredient you will see that there is so much damageing things you are feeding your cat. Its sickening when you start to learn the "truth"

Cats are hard to switch from "crappy" food to "great" food. I had no luck myself with Felidae but mine are taking wonderfully to Orijen.:shrug:

Perhaps by doing a very gradual switch, VERY gradual so that your cat doesnt really notice the new food.

rainbow
August 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM
My cats also used to be on Iams. I switched them to Innova and then to Orijen with no problems. Orijen gets a big thumbs up here. :thumbs up

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Of course we never really know what's going on inside our animal's bodies without tons of tests but who knows, you may extend her lifespan by feeding her a higher quality food at this stage in her life.

crazydays
September 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Mia.

Your cat is incredible for 16 yrs! Personally, I wouldn't make any change if your cat is doing well- status quo. I would be concerned about the digestive system of the aging cat. Also- kidneys/liver issues could occur with higher premium foods. As much as there are excellent products out there, I don't know how much more at this point you aim to achieve. Your cat is healthy and getting up in age. I would only change if there were medical reasons for it- GI illness, malabsorption issues-nausea/vomiting/weight loss/ poor appetite etc

growler~GateKeeper
September 8th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Just thought I'd drop in my :2cents: here. My :cat: Duffy is also 16 years old healthy (except for a touch of thyroid level fluctuations from Radioactive Iodine Therapy to cure Hyperthryroidism) & I recently switched from Royal Canin to Evo canned & a mixture of Evo & Orijen dry. I have noticed she is a little more active, her coat is better, she has lost a bit of weight (which in her case is good she's a bit chubby) & her litterbox "deposits" are smaller better formed & hardly smell at all. For me & my girl yeah it was worth it. :)