Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

socializing an agressive puppy

allymack
August 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM
well the other day my puppy run out the door and took me on a great chase:mad: and of course next door to us there is a pit bull ( but he is very sweet and well trained, thankfully) my puppy(enzo) decides it would be a good idea to attack the pitbull. thankfully the pitbulls owner was outside and just called her dog back,( not like he was going to hurt enzo since he is so sweet) but anyways i just dont no what to do any more i wantt my puppy to get along with other dogs and not attacking them. by the way is he border collie. any advice would be a big help!

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I think we talked about puppy classes in another thread didn't we? Were you able to find a puppy class or a doggy day care? Do you have friends with puppy-tolerant dogs with whom you can arrange play dates? At that age dogs tend to teach themselves and each other acceptable social behaviour, the best you can do is create opportunities for learning.

allymack
August 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
haha yah sorry we did, but me being a genius i couldnt find the thread untill after i posted this one( even though it was right in front of my face!!! its been a long day) any thoughts on getting him a muzzle would it be a good idea untill i know he wont go after them for sure? and puppy classes are starting up soon(thanksfully)
sorry about posting it again!
thanks!

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't muzzle personally. He's not learning anything and he won't with a muzzle on. I think once he gets "the stuffing knocked out of him" in playtime with other puppies he will learn very quickly that his behaviour won't be tolerated. You can help that along by making sure he is well exercised before class so that he isn't rarin' to go and can focus a little more readily.

allymack
August 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
thanks alot for you help :) and sorry again about double threading this topic

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
No worries allymack ~ having dog's means we're all on a learning curve !

allymack
August 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
good news! i was up at the field playing ball with enzo and another dog came up( which we knew) and they asked if it was ok to let their dog off leash i said yes, as i saw it as a socialization opportunity, even though i was a bit nervous of what enzo might do. but he was totally different today they just ran around and he would ocasionally check in with me (which i gave him a treat for) and he even rolled on to his back and let the otehr dog sniff. so he might not to so agressive after all! thanks so much for your help!!

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
That's excellent progress. Keep up the good work ! (Have we seen a picture of Enzo yet?)

allymack
August 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM
no havent posted one yet, not sure how to, but still trying to figure it out

Ford Girl
August 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Bring him over, Dazy will knock the stuffing out of him! :laughing: :laughing:

allymack
August 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
:laughing: , were working on that with some other dogs now and it seems to be working pretty well. but thanks for the offer :P oh and i figured out how to post pictures so i will be getting some pictures tonight i should have them posted by tomoorw :)

allymack
August 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
all right here is my boy, not sure how well the pics will turn out(not really sure on how to resize with adobe photoshop...any help would be great:thumbs up )

allymack
August 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
sorry about the picture being so big!! guess i didnt figure out the resizing. but oh well thats my boy, nice and big :laughing: he is a 5.5 month old border collie, about 35 pounds, he is gonna be a bigg boy! but thats just more of him to love haha.

mummummum
August 30th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Well he certainly is humungous ~ at least in the picture. :laughing: And he looks terribly handsome with a good dose of wee :evil: in him !

Check the photo forum for good instructions on posting pix. :D

allymack
August 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
well there definately is a good amount of :evil: in him ahaha but yah i will check out the photo forum for sure thanks:)

chico2
August 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I have Adobe Photoshop,it's real easy to resize pics....just click edit and then image,choose resize,I usually resize mine to 550..

allymack
August 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
heres another attempt

haha allright, i got it :thumbs up so i will post more, i will make them a bit smaller though

allymack
August 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
here he is again, thats all i'll post for now, thanks for all your help!:)

mummummum
August 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
He's very sweet Allymack! But you certainly have your hands full!!

allymack
August 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
haha well thats for sure, he has so much energy, but taking him to the park with other dogs to run around has helped alot with that, and he thinks that the cat is his personal chew toy, although the kitty doesnt seem to mind, and the claws come out when he does, haha. but hes ful of love, with a bit of :evil: any ways thanks for all the help :)

chico2
August 31st, 2007, 07:40 AM
He's a sweety for sure:lovestruck: just make sure the kitty has a safe place to escape too,ok:cat: :dog:

allymack
August 31st, 2007, 10:35 AM
yah, the cat already has the whole upstairs floor to himself, the puppy cant go up there(blocked of the stairs)

allymack
August 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
now he is starting to become 'crate agressive' or maybe protective, either way its not good. i was trying to get hi out of his crate cause i knew he hadnt been out in a long while an di had to leave and wouldnt be home for a whle and he started growling and barking(agressively) and sort of snapping... and i didnt know what to do. any ideas on what to do?

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
I would tip him out of the crate with a "Come " command.

allymack
August 31st, 2007, 08:13 PM
ok thanks :)

allymack
September 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
is it possible for him to be more agressive with other un neutered males ( dont worry his appointment is booked...september 10th and i'm counting :P ) cause at the park today another dog came to the field it was an 8 month old male and i had a feeling he was un neutered cause enzo was more agressive towards him ( but he is fine with otehr neutered male dogs) so any thoughts!

mummummum
September 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I believe that's true of unneutered males Allymack. September 10th ~ here he comes !!

allymack
September 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
alright, thanks, i was thinking that but i wasnt sure,, i just wish sept 10th would get here! haha ii'm hoping he will calm down which i am sure he will

allymack
September 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
puppy classes started this afternoon! yay! in the first 10 mins of the class you could already see an improvement in enzos behavior....not that he is perfect now( or even close to it but he is already much better after just one class) and he goes in for his big surgery tomorrow...haha, hoping he is going to calm down and we also found out we were feeding him the wrong food ( which is the equivlant of feeding a child junk food all day everyday) so we are now switching his food which will make him calmer to ( he wont always be hyped up on "sugar" ) but we found out that apples and any food scraps from the table are ok ( which i was never to sure of ( just making sure we dont feed him form the actual table ) and we are making sure it doesnt have garlic or onion in it) so all is going well around here, you all have been uch a great help, i am sure i will have more questions later on though :)

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Oooo good ~ I get to be the first one to tell ya "I told ya so" :laughing: !!!!

Structure and consistency ~ you are on the right track !

What are you feeding now (I won't ask you about what the junkfood was :eek:) ? And btw, garlic is GOOD for people and is good for your dog (onions, no) just not in massive quantities. The amount that you would cook your own food with and the tiny cooked amount that he could consume in a left-over is not going to cause him harm.

Good luck tomorrow with the big SNIP. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

allymack
September 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
we are now feeding him iams food, but before we were feeding him puppy chow...which is the equivilant to junk food(dont worry i wouldnt actually feed him junk food!!)he is home now and he got a nice little banadna when he was there and everything went well, he also had his dewclaws removed, because if he is running at a high speed they could get hooked on something and rip which wouldnt be pleasent. he goes back in 5 days to get his little booties taken off his feet and then 5 days after that he goes and gets the stitches taken out, but he is feeling good and almost back to him self. :)