Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pain Supplements for Cats

Radish
August 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Are there natural supplements you can give cats to help with joints/old tendon injuries/pain?

My cat Loki (yes, the same one who hasn't been feeling well lately) suffered severe nerve damage to one of her hind legs a few months ago (best guess the vet had was falling out of a tree :rolleyes: ) - there was no damage to the joint and it was hard to tell if there was any tendon/ligament damage as she couldn't feel the leg. Luckily, the nerves were just bruised and she was walking normally within a week or so. My vet says everything feels fine now but she still has days where she'll walk with a slight limp and I'm worried it might still be hurting her (probably when she over does it outside but try keeping her in...yeah right :D ).

Anyway, I'm a horse person and there are all sorts of natural supplements you can give them to help with pain and old leg injuries, are there the same thing for cats?

Poor thing has been through so much in her under a year of life - I've never had such an accident-prone cat before and it's starting to make me feel like a bad pet owner. :rolleyes: :laughing:

Thanks!

jessi76
August 28th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not a vet, so I can't advise on medication or supplements for pain. Did your vet offer any suggestions?

Sounds to me as if this cat has been through alot, and I agree, sometimes it's hard to keep an outdoor cat inside. But I do think that's exactly what you should do - perhaps a good compromise would be an enclosed cat run? you could build some basic cat trees w/ various levels, obviously, spaced for easy jumping. Have the run located on the outside of a window you don't use often (basement window? spare room window? etc...) there are plenty of home made cat-run ideas on the internet, i'm sure you could find one that suits your needs. this way your can let your cat "explore" and enjoy the fresh air safely. just a suggestion. ;)

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I believe glucosamine is very good for joints, not sure about tendons. A vet recommended this for my cat who could not go on meds for his arthritis because he was also in renal failure. Not sure what dosage but you could probably get that info from your vet.

satchelp
August 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
The homeopathic remedy Traumeel might help with that. You can get it in various formats including drops and ointment. I've had good success with using it in my dogs for injuries and for healing from surgery. See www.heel.ca for information.

Radish
August 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I will ask my vet about all this - not sure how "into" the whole natural thing he'll be though. :laughing:

Although being an indoor cat would be better for her leg, jessi76, I don't think it would be good for her mental health. She LOVES being outside and playing with her sister and I don't think she'd so well in or even in a run-out. If it really came to that, I'd do it but I think I'll give her a bit more time to get used to the leg and grow up. :)

Has anyone every tried MSM? It's a natural anti-inflamatory and pain killer - I've seen it work wonders on horses, not sure about cats. :D I have some at the barn but wouldn't want to give any to Loki without being sure.

The Traumeel looks interesting, satchelp, but how much would you give to a cat? It seems to be a human product?

Thanks so much!

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Some alternatives for feline arthritis are listed here:

http://www.valleypetnews.com/venerable_vet_i.htm

This site http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=nutritionalsupplementsforcatsanddogs
gives the dosage for MSM:

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), a derivative of DMSO, may help the body maintain adequate levels of cysteine in the body. MSM can be started at about 200 mg per 10 pounds body weight per day, and increased as needed. It may take days to weeks to see an effect. MSM is especially helpful in arthritis and other forms of chronic inflammation.

CyberKitten
August 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I would really stay away from natural elements for pain relief. I would ask a vet and find out what s/he has to say about the subject. I am a physician and was worried about one of my kitties when she had her spay surgery and since I do pain relief research in tiny babies and children, concocted my own mixture of a very low does of a narcotic pain med (cats do very well on narcotics, better than we do actually - they react to them in a different manner) but there are some excellent meds for pain relief available at your vet and I do not recommend doing this - I did in collaboration with my vet and even then, in the end, my cat required not very much of the medication. If you are concerned about cost, ask your vet to write a script rather than getting it from the vet.

Do not give a cat ASA or acetaminophen though - it can kill them! NSAIDs are also potentially a problem. Kitties have a unique body biochemistry and liver function that make the NSAIDs more dangerous for then.to them. Their liver does not have enough of a specific enzyme (bilirubin-glucuronideand thus, the NSAIDs tend to linger in the catís blood stream. So they must be given in very limited doses and less frequently.

The 2 best tolerated are meloxicam and ketoprofen. Vets have them in flavoured syrups. Even the Cox2 inhibitors are fairly safe for cats (think vioxx) even tho humans need to use extreme caution in using them - the potential for heart probs has been proven.

Ketamine as a paste is also sometimes used as a pain reliver - and not just as anesthesia.

Vets do not often give narcotics but cats tolerate them extremely well. Morphine - one of the oldest and best drugs on the market (yes I know it is addictive by people and animals in pain rarely become addicted!). The med I used was synthetic morphine and in an extremely tiny minute amount!

You could always check to see if a homeopathic(sp?) vet would use acupuncture. And of course, it really very much depends on what the pain med is for - what kind of pain is it, what is the cat being treated FOR!! Liver disease for example would be a special case.

Good luck!

krdahmer
August 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I use the Traumeel for Fagan and it seems to help when his knee goes out.(Luxating Patella)... it also works for Human soft tissue injuries as well.

Radish
August 29th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks so much everyone - I'm so glad I found this board...people are so helpful and friendly! :thumbs up

I will definitely discuss anything I would like to try with my kitty's vet (and probably with my friend who's also a vet) before trying it - I'm just curious about all my options (especially since I've seen so many horses do so well on natural supplements vs. meds).

CyberKitten - I'm curious as to why you wouldn't recommend the natural route?

satchelp
August 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Traumeel can be used in animals as well as humans; in fact, it is my vet that prescribes it and gives it to me for my dogs. Here is some info on the dosage for animals both in pill and drop formats.

Pills: http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10795

Drops: http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/GreenCanyon/questp418777