Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Accidents in the house after surgery

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I would just like to know if anyone has been there ? Bailey had surgery on his eyelid last Thursday. He has to wear a cone 24/24 for 7 days. From Thursday night to Friday evening, it was ok. Then I got up twice to let him out from Friday night to Saterday morning and still , he had 2 accidents, pee and poop twice, right in front of the door. I've been giving him some canned pumpking since and it was ok , until this morning , again , pee and poop but now in the living room. Can't be 100% it is Bailey , but it looks like it. Poo was soft but no diarya. It's been more than 4 days since his surgery ! Anyone ever experienced something like it ?

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
How is he otherwise Frenchy? Does he seem dazed or not thinking straight? Sleepy and lethargic? Eating and drinking okay? The only thing I can think of is that it's a carry-over from the sedation and anaesthesia. Tai, my last :lovestruck: dog, always had a hard time with anaesthesia regardless of what they used. She was out of it for at least a week after surgery. Slept or lay around most of the time, not interested in eating or drinking, had the odd accident. In fact, usually for the first few days she would have to be carried because she was so unsteady on her feet or just wouldn't get up. Hopefully Bailey will get back into routine soon :fingerscr

coppperbelle
August 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Frenchy, I have had the same problem with Chloe since her surgery last week. On Thursday and Friday she pooped on the stairs. It looks like she did it as she was either going up the stairs or down them and that she didn't have control because it was on 3 different stairs. Yesterday she peed twice in the house and pooped once. She was fine on the weekend so I thought it was because I started back to work last week and she was peed at me. Maybe it has something to do with the anesthetic afterall. She was quiet all of last week but I assumed it was because she was uncomfortable after the surgery.

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
because it was on 3 different stairs.

:sorry: but :laughing: ..... ahem , poor Chloe :sad:

Bailey is feeling very good but is limited in his movement because of the cone so he lays down more. I took the cone off earlier and I'm watching him like a hawk , I tought I would give him a break. He is now sleeping . So I guess it can happen ... I'm just so use to have fosters getting spayed and neutered , and they don't have accidents .... :shrug:

TeriM
August 28th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Awww, poor Bailey. Give him a big hug from me :grouphug: . Lucy has a tough time with anesthetic as well although she has never had an accident but I think that is likely the culprit.

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Is Bailey on an antibiotic, Frenchy? Antibiotics always make Lil Belle pee...and if they aren't tolerating an antibiotic well, all of our dogs have been known to have poops at odd times...

The bonnet can also do it. Sometimes moving around can be a bit of a bother with it on, so they'll try to not eliminate as often--it minimizes having to navigate with the bonnet on. Problem is, if they're holding it for a long time and finally get to the point of "gotta go gotta go" when you're not around to let them out...well...you get the picture! :rolleyes: actually, Frenchy gets a lot more than a picture, but hazel won't bring that up again :o :laughing:

He'll get back into a routine when he's all healed up! :thumbs up

:grouphug: for both of you! Also :dog: kissies! :D

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
No accidents since the last one :thumbs up I did take the cone off yesterday evening but put it back on when I went to bed. He is not on antibiotics , just ointment for his eye 3 times a day. Only 2 more days and he will be cone free :goodvibes:

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well THAT's good news Frenchy ~ glad to hear his eye is on the mend :thumbs up

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear there's been no more accidents. :thumbs up Hugs :grouphug: and good wishes for Baileys recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
:thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up

:grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Bailey and for you that things keep going well

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
How is his incision looking where he got at it that day, Frenchy? I hope it's healing nicely! :fingerscr

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM
How is his incision looking where he got at it that day, Frenchy? I hope it's healing nicely! :fingerscr

It does look good. But I think I saw something I didn't like earlier , the lump was outside his eyelid (like if you would put eyeliner in the inside of the upper eyelid) but it was inside too, making a bump on his upper eyelid . I think they didn't get the inside part out ! Hard to see right now. I will wait a couple of days....

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
:fingerscr that it's just a little swelling from the surgery!

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
:fingerscr that it's just a little swelling from the surgery!

I hope so too cuz I won't have him go thru this again.

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
If it was on the inside of his eyelid as well as outside would they not have had to stich in there as well Frenchy? Perhaps the swelling is simply a dissolving stitch.

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Perhaps the swelling is simply a dissolving stitch.

I am hoping that's the bump I'm seeing. They did get the more annoying part out anyway, could have scratch his cornea.