Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A cat's nose

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM
In my quest to want to know every little thing about the Dynamic Duo, I wondered about their noses.

My cats noses are cool to the touch and slightly wet. This is mainly in the mornings and at night. I've wondered if this is normal. They have no mucus coming out of their nose, and only now and then I've heard them sneeze.

I keep my apartment at 70 degrees. I keep it this cool because the ceilings are so high, its the only temperature that keeps the place cool. Anything higher and it begins to get warm, and I'm concerned it would get too warm for my two little ones.

Should I raise the temperature while I'm gone and just let the place be warmer? Are their noses an indication of how well they're doing?

I have to go to the vet this weekend, because I want to have Oksana's ears checked out and I'm a little concerned Vlad might be a bit inactive, so I'll be asking her this. But if anyone can give me some guidance until then, I'd appreciate it.

krdahmer
August 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I believe that in Cats and dogs a cold wet nose is an indicator of good health. I know all the noses here are cold and wet! :D

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Oh that's good to hear. I just kept wondering you know? LOL, its like I'm always looking at their eyes and the little gooky stuff they get, like morning gook we get. They don't even flinch anymore, they just let me wipe their eyes or face off when I see dirt or pieces of food. I just know Vlad is saying to himself "Aw come on mom!"

krdahmer
August 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I do the same with mine.... Buddy especially because of his weepy eye.... they look like annoyed little kids when I do it....:rolleyes: :laughing:

dtbmnec
August 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Funnily enough, Leo's nose is ALWAYS cold and wet (the ceiling has the body part dents to show it ;) ) and Pawz's is NEVER cold and wet. Its always warm and dry.

Both of them have been like this their entire lives...And so far as I can tell (and the vet) they're supremely healthy. :shrug:

Maybe my cats are just wierd.

Megan

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Well I noticed yesterday that during some times their noses are warm and dry. I notice its mostly wet in the evenings and early morning. That's why I thought it might have something to do with the temperature inside the apartment.

Wet nose, warm nose. Sheesh, if I'm not worrying about one end, I'm worrying about the other.

Longblades
August 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
70 is cool? Must be because I'm hundreds of kilometres north of you that I find 70 (about 20C) hot. :) I see you are in Miami though so do you have AC going? I find both AC and heat blowing through the ductwork dislodges bits of dust and this causes my crew to react sometimes and it certainly makes me sneeze. There can also be some pretty grungey mould in the ductwork along with dust and trapped animal hair; you might want to check that out for your own health too. I would expect they can tolerate temperatures considerably cooler than 70 but would be concerned if they are inside/outside cats. Just like us, the change from AC cooled inside air to hot and maybe humid too, outside air can be hard on them.

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, 70 is pretty cool for me here LOL. I do have the AC going all day, but I change the filter monthly, and before I moved in the vents and inner workings were cleaned for me.

Vlad and Oksana are indoor kitties. They only go outside when I take them to the vet or the rare occasion I bring them to work.

jenwatkins3
December 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I adopted my Orange Kitty after he was dumped off at an apartment I had back in Texas. Since I've had him he's always had a warm dry nose. Everyonce in a while he gets dark black boogers on the sides of his nostrils. I pulled them off once, and was almost sure that these "boogers" are actually part of his nose coming off. It's not big pieces or anything. I'm just worried. I've had him for about 4 or 5 months now and his nose is always warm and dry. I'm wondering if maybe it's the dry climate? I'm not sure what to do and any thoughts would be helpful!!!

thank you

*JEN*

krdahmer
December 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I get this with my cat Palomine, his nose goes through dry spells usually when I have the heat on in the house and he often gets 'boogers' dry crusted black boogers at the edge of his nostrils... I would say as long as there is no bleeding or trouble breathing etc, it's nothing serious, my vet didn't seem to think that was at all cause for concern.014

catlover2
December 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
My two cats' noses are always warm and dry. Usually any sort of runny discharge from nose is not a good sign. As for those boogers, one of my cat always has them, the other never does. Some of it may be due to shape of nostril at catching any dust from scratching around in clay-type litter.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah, mine for the most part their noses are dry. But I've noticed that in the evenings they seem to get cool and a bit wet. My vet said it's normal for where we live.:shrug:

Vlad and Maks get boogies, but not a whole lot. I've never seen that the girls get them though.

catlover2
December 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
My cats do get some discharge or crusts in inner corners of their eyes. The reason is that my two never wash their faces with their paws, but I have had other cats that used to do this and never had stuff in their eyes. These two don't mind if I clean them up tho! Slaves to my cats! :p