Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need to switch

crazydays
August 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM
My Standard Schnauzer is on Solid Gold-Hund NFlocken for 5 months now.:sad: Unfortunately she seems to have trouble tolerating the Lamb-mushy none formed stools. I contacted Solid Gold and they suggested I use d-zyme powder and if that didn't work that I would have to switch her food. My other pup is doing great on Solid Gold.

Need your opinions re where to go from here.
I think I need to go back to chicken based food ( she had been on IAMS).
I am pondering 1) GO Natural Grain Free 2) Innova EVO 3) Orijen Adult- I can't because shes allergic to kelp! 4) Barking at the Moon.
Things to consider-

Cagney is very active. She tends to be a sensitive dog. She lost weight on Solid Gold- Adult so I had to boost to 3.5 cups/day. I would love to get her on a premium 6 food that is easily tolerated--just don't want to keep switching her. A good protein level but appropriate for her breed.

Is it worth trying d-zymes?
Thankful to be able to ask this forum the questions--I find this very stressful!

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM
It may just be the lamb :o ~ Ceili can't eat lamb. I don't know that digestive enzymes would help if her poop is THAT bad but given that you're other dog is tolerating it well ~ and you don't necessarily want to switch his food (or have two open bags at once...) the enzymes might be worth a shot for a few weeks. Of the foods you listed and your "needs" description, I'd say the Evo is the best bet given it's higher protein content and higher quality ingredients.

Kelp allergy eh? That's unusual and a big pain as so many foods contain kelp now.

crazydays
August 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your opinion on foods. I have to be so careful regarding kelp. It causes Cagney to produce so much yeast in her bowels, the linings start to bleed. It was so bad that I couldn't see the stool-just congealed red blood:yuck:

Ok- so Innova Evo is at the top of the list. I like it because of the chicken base-at least I know she tolerates that.

mika140
August 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I just switched my 2 year old german shepherd dog to SG barking at the moon. I went through five other brands before getting to this one. His stool was always soft at best. I saw improvements within 24 hours on this new food.....and he loves the taste. He's a very active dog, which is why I went with the higher protein. I chose barking at the moon because I wanted a different protein source in case of intolerance. I also liked that it was grain-free and had pumkin meal & tomato pomace (figured they might help harden stools). I had heard great things about evo too, but needed to stay away from chicken and wanted to keep the protein sources to a lower number than their red meat formula because of my dog's suspected intolerance. Anyway, it's working out great so far.

crazydays
August 29th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Mika- I really appreciate hearing about your success with Barking on the Moon. It is supposed to be excellent food as well. Wow- making a decision isn't easy because I don't want Cagney to have to transition again. Hearing from people on the forum weighs heavily in my decision making process. Where else do you get advice free? One thing I have to think about is my pup Rio. She is on Solid Gold. When I transition her to adult food in 4-5 months, I am worried about the proteins in the 6 star premium foods. I would have to get advise on when a puppy could safely go that route. Or maybe I need to get a high quality middle of the road food 4-5 star that both Cagney and Rio an go on

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hearing from people on the forum weighs heavily in my decision making process. Where else do you get advice free?

If you check out www.dogfoodproject.com they also have a link to their forum.

crazydays
August 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the link! I went to Global Pet Foods where I buy the food. I got some really great help. For the next 2 weeks I am going to keep everything the same with Cagney. I will add ProZyme powder to her food and see what happens. If her horrible gas problem and soft stools improve great. If they don't then I need to get her off the lamb. This person has the opinion that she should go on a fish based food like GO Natural Wild Salmon and [/U[U]]Oatmeal. Many of the fish based food have kelp-i can't do this because of her extreme allergy. What do you think of going from lamb to fish based food. Her rationale was that I should have a total departure from what she had been on. Regarding the GO Natural Salmon and Oatmeal--I am not sure about the Oatmeal and Whole Oats.

I just heard from Solid Gold. They "do not recommend Barking at the Moon for a dog with intermittent stool issues unless we are suspect of a grain issue, because it is too high in fat to be appropriate for a dog with any GI inflammation,as this is often aggravated by fat in the food."

crazydays
September 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Well since the last time I talked in this thread, a few things have changed. I will be concise.

Vet- doesn't want Cagney on high protein 42%
- because of Cagneys Seameal and Kelp allergies she thinks it might be
risky to use a fish based food.
- feels Cagney should go on a chicken based food

I have no way of knowing whether Cags will be allergic to fish based food. I am going to play it cautious and do a Chicken based food.

I have done alot of research r/t her allergies. I wish I could find a mid range food that didn't cost over $60 bucks a bag.

She hasn't been improving with the addition of ProZyme. I told my partner I would give her another week so that a good trial has been given.

I like the following foods alot
1) Innova Adult
2) Wellness Core. They also have Wellness Chicken Super5Mix. The core is higher in protein-34%

I am pretty sure I will go Innova (unless I hear reasons not to) because the ingredients list isn't stacked with different stuff. I think Cagney will tolerate less product in her food-do I know for sure- not really.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com places Innova Adult Dog Food as a 5 star- works for me.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud during this process. I really do value your input and opinions!!!:thumbs up

crazydays
September 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Update- very discouraged. Three days ago I started to transition Cagney with INNOVA. Today Cagney is showing some blood in her very mushy soft stools. This may just be irritable bowel with the change of food-I am so hoping she is not having a major allergic reaction to the food. I am wondering if the little amount of herring in the INNOVA is causing the problem. She has never had herring before; she did tolerate fish meal in her IAMs before. I know that the only times in her life that she had bleeding from her bowels was -kelp and seameal.

I will be watching very closely over the next day. If anymore bleeding I have to abandon this idea.

Very worried about what to feed her-:cry::wall: I am almost thinking about going back to IAMS:loser: