Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coughing Kitty

Calico7
August 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I am a newbie here. I've never used one of these sites but thought someone here may be able to help give me advice about my very elderly, beloved cat, Sophie. She is almost 18 years old. She's recently developed a dry hacking cough. She acts as though she's about to throw up but never does. Just coughs. She is eating and drinking well and doesn't act in the least bit sick. She's happy and content the rest of the time. Albeit, a little arthritic. I, of course, will take her to my vet but it seems like the last three or four times I have taken her in for something he runs a very spendy blood test on her only to tell me she's old and won't last much longer. Duh, I already know that. Don't mean to slam my vet here, he's a good doctor. Her kidney levels at the last blood test were "elevated" I think he said. I would think that's pretty normal in a 17 year old cat. If she acted sick I would take her in but she's so happy and normal I just don't know what to do. Her coughing fits last a couple of minutes, then stop. She does this 3 or 4 times a day and once or twice at night. She's a 99% indoor kitty.

Any advice??

sugarcatmom
August 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM
First off, I'm not sure I like your vet's attitude! Many cats live into their twenties, I've even heard of some that hit 30, so to tell you that your cat "won't last much longer" is seriously unprofessional. I'd be finding a new vet, if I were you. The other thing is that there are things you can do for elevated kidney values to help prolong kidney function, such as feed a high quality protein, low phosphorous, CANNED diet (not sure what you feed now but something like Wellness is a good choice). There are also meds (like phosphorous binders or blood pressure drugs) that you can start giving, as needed.

About the coughing: it certainly is a concern in an elderly cat and could mean anything from asthma to cardiomyopathy to heartworm. A vet visit should be in the works, but I'd seriously consider taking Sophie somewhere else if you don't get a helpful response from your current vet.

Good luck, and do let us know what you find out. Oh, and welcome to pets.ca!

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Ditto what Sugarcatmom said. If her lungs sound clear, I would be concerned about a heart issue also.