Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I get a kitten to keep my older cat company?

lunacatgirl
August 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I have a 12 year old cat named Goldie and I've had him for all 12 years, since he was 2 months old. Right now, he's suffering from major health problems and our vet said he has about 6 months to 1 year left to live. My family is thinking to get a kitten so that Goldie will have someone to keep him company while we are at work so he won't feel lonely and depressed. But I'm worried that he may feel jealous and that he's already being replaced. Do you think we should get a kitten or would this make him feel like we don't want him anymore? :cry:

kashtin's kin
August 28th, 2007, 01:06 AM
There are better-informed 'cat gurus' on this BB who probably will have some good input on this issue; my feeling would be that as an aging/ill animal, your cat might not really appreciate some young kitten bouncing around. It is good of you/your family to try to think of a way to make your cat's life better, but at this point he would likely benefit most from all the attention his humans can give him...he may also wish to be alone at times.

When I've had cats nearing the end of their 'earthtime', I've just tried to give them good food and treats, and lots of lap time; anything that seems to give them pleasure. The kitten idea makes me think of some senior in poor health being given a toddler 24/7...just maybe not the best timing. But it sounds like he's had a good life with you; just enjoy whatever time you have with him. I wish you both the best :grouphug:.

badger
August 28th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I agree 100% with Kashtin. Human company, quiet, good food, routine. When an animal is sick, this is what they appreciate. A kitten would shatter that - in the most delightful way, of course - but it would be very stressful, something he doesn't need right now. Don't worry about him being lonely, I suspect he's quite used to it.
I really hope he outlives the vet's prediction - many do. Just keep him comfortable and love him right to the end, whether he wants a game or to just cuddle, Later on, you can think about having a kitten experience or why not? a two-kitten experience (they're better in pairs :) ).

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 03:10 AM
He might get insecure about a new kitten thinking you are trying to replace him, consider his feelings at this time not your own many cats do not like accepting new family members like a new kitten.
Yio can test him out with a borrowed kitten to see how he reacts but be prepared to separate them if there is an issue your old friend comes first, get the new kitty after he passes on

Longblades
August 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Echo, echo, echo, agree with all the above. Let Goldie enjoy his remaining time without the stress of a new family member. As he ages and his illness progresses he may appreciate just sitting quietly with you and you will have a hard time doing that with a new kitten vying for attention.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM
He will not be happy with a new kitten to bother him as he ages and new felines introduced into a house always causes some degree of stress on the resident cat. He wants your attention, love, quiet and routine.

Think about when you are not feeling well, do you want to have children trying to get your attention to play?

~michelle~
August 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
a new kitten would def be unneeded stress. many cats are territorial and take along time to adjust to a new cat if ever esp after 12 years