Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats x2 with single small round hairless spots - same location

K-J
August 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Both of my cats (M, F) have small (pea-sized) round hairless spots on almost the exact same spot on their bellies, "belly button" area. I haven't noticed any other spots and don't remember them both having this before, though I'd love to be mistaken.

Both cats are indoor, eat high quality Urinary SO (something like that) Medi-Cal vet food and don't interact with other animals. There's a 15 yr old male and a 4yr old female, both generally healthy. Lately they seemed to be acting more energetic and playful, but my boyfriend and I are on different/rotating shifts, so they do get varying attention and sleep cycles. I had been thinking about getting a dog, so I thought the cats might be trying to tell me that I didn't have time, they needed extra attention. :P

We just moved to a new house 2 months ago, but this spot thing is a newer development I believe. The new house has carpet on one floor and there used to be a dog that lived here.

I've thought about ringworm, but am confused about them both having the same spot location. The descriptions I read didn't seem to jive with that. The skin doesn't look broken and I certainly wouldn't say there's a lesion. I know it's not absolute, but it's a start.

For now I've washed them with a derma shampoo that I use on the 4yr old dandruff cat. She also takes medication for irritable bowel syndrome (like Chrohn's), metronidazole & prednisone. All that and she's the happiest cat I've ever seen.

Anyways, if anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Um... that is strange.... I have a female that has one small bald spot on her belly but it is from her spay... kind of like a scar. But for the male to have it too is very weird. Have you seen your vet yet about it? Sometimes they can see and recognize things we just can't. And there are no other symptoms at all? If they were pulling out the hair, it would irritate and leave the skin scabby. Is there a place they both like to lay? Maybe there is something rubbing the hair off (like why my dad's legs are hairless due to his wearing overalls for years).

K-J
August 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I haven't taken them to the vet yet. The last time I went I got suckered into $400 of tests that proved that my older cat didn't have diabetes, he just pees a lot. I also don't have a car this week, so it's an extra hassle. I just wish I could get a better idea of whether to be concerned, and so I can stop washing my hands all the time :P Little bit paranoid.

They both lay in similar spots, spare bed, couch, etc. Nothing that I can think of to explain this though.

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Well if the spots are not red or irritated or causing them discomfort, I can't think of anything life threatening going on, so it may be ok to wait a bit. As long as they don't get larger or start to look infected, you could probably continue to search web sites for a bit. I hear ya on the vet bills, they are a killer! I wouldn't wait too long though if they change at all or are still there at the end of the week with no noticable regrowth of fur. Do you have a digital camera you could show us what you are talking about? Maybe one of the vets on here could give you an idea of what it could be and how important it is to get to a vet.

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Ok.... I'm sure this will be a silly question:rolleyes: ... but are you sure they aren't boobies? Boys have them too and they have no fur in those spots, and it is possible for the boobie to be inverted and therefor look flat. :shrug:

K-J
August 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
uh, yeah :) no question. He deffinitely has those, and this spot is more between two. I'm attaching a pic

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Hm... ya I got nothing. Looks a wee bit pink but that may be skin colour.

P.S. I like how it looks like he is helping you point at it... too cute!

K-J
August 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
ok, on the other cat, the younger one, it seems like there's a tiny bump in the middle of the bald spot, but no skin discoloration or visible indicator of a bump.

punkyamberlea
August 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
are they lickers? my cat licked herself bald in about the same spot on her tummy. with ring worm you would normaly see little bumps around the outside of the ring (kinda forming the circle) amber

K-J
August 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Max, the older one can be. In the past he licked his wrist and knee fairly bald/broken haired. I asked the vet about it when I had him in and she suspected it was behavioral. I never actually saw him licking, but he is very cleanly. The younger cat, Metaxa, is actually pretty dirty for a cat. When I bathed them last night his water was clear and hers was literally Brown. She's always rolling around on the floor, under furniture, etc. She's very playful and kitten-esque though, so it's endearing.

K-J
August 28th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I keep picking the poor things up and sifting through their fur and holding them up to the light. I'm thinking that maybe the girl's spot is her "altered" scar, the more I look at, the more it looks like there's a tiny shiny scar there. It's odd that I haven't noticed before though.

Max's I've decided (see pic) is higher up, not quite the belly button area I originally thought. He has seniors' stomach, so sometimes it's hard to pinpoint height. Maybe I'm just being paranoid about this, if there's no relation between the two cats? Certainly changes the possibilities.

He has another spot higher on his chest, towards his underarm and top left nipple. This one is a bump, white, no hair loss, like there's one under the skin and one above. I think I'll be taking him to the vet for this one unless someone can explain it.