Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats x2 with single small round hairless spots

K-J
August 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Both of my cats (M, F) have small (pea-sized) round hairless spots on almost the exact same spot on their bellies, "belly button" area. I haven't noticed any other spots and don't remember them both having this before, though I'd love to be mistaken.

Both cats are indoor, eat high quality Urinary SO (something like that) Medi-Cal vet food and don't interact with other animals. There's a 15 yr old male and a 4yr old female, both generally healthy. Lately they seemed to be acting more energetic and playful, but my boyfriend and I are on different/rotating shifts, so they do get varying attention and sleep cycles. I had been thinking about getting a dog, so I thought the cats might be trying to tell me that I didn't have time, they needed extra attention. :P

We just moved to a new house 2 months ago, but this spot thing is a newer development I believe. The new house has carpet on one floor and there used to be a dog that lived here.

I've thought about ringworm, but am confused about them both having the same spot location. The descriptions I read didn't seem to jive with that. The skin doesn't look broken and I certainly wouldn't say there's a lesion. I know it's not absolute, but it's a start.

For now I've washed them with a derma shampoo that I use on the 4yr old dandruff cat. She also takes medication for irritable bowel syndrome (like Chrohn's), metronidazole & prednisone. All that and she's the happiest cat I've ever seen.

Anyways, if anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

golden girl
August 27th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Are these spots red, raised or sore looking ?? If you press on it with your finger do you feel a little bump inside??:cat:

want4rain
August 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
you can run a black light over the spot. if you see fluoresce than you know its ringworm. if it doesnt then its probably time to go to the vet to diagnose. your vet would know the best treatment for ringworm.

http://lbah.com/ringworm.htm

-ashley

K-J
August 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
No bumps or spots, some tiny brown spots that I'm not positive aren't his skin.

dtbmnec
August 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Could it just be their belly button? :shrug:

I know at one point one of my cats had said hairless pea sized spot, and since they were getting de wormed for like everything (a third cat had moved in and had passed it on) it wasn't ringworm. Least the vet took a look and said it was fine :)

Could be wrong too...

Megan

K-J
August 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I keep picking the poor things up and sifting through their fur and holding them up to the light. I'm thinking that maybe the girl's spot is her "altered" scar, the more I look at, the more it looks like there's a tiny shiny scar there. It's odd that I haven't noticed before though.

Max's I've decided (see pic) is higher up, not quite the belly button area I originally thought. He has seniors' stomach, so sometimes it's hard to pinpoint height. Maybe I'm just being paranoid about this?

He has another spot higher on his chest, towards his underarm and top left nipple. This one is a bump, white, no hair loss, like there's one under the skin and one above. I think I'll be taking him to the vet for this one unless someone can explain it.