Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

toilet trouble

Mickm72
August 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone
I have just joined this site as last week i resuced a dog from a local rescue centre he is a three year old border collie and he is lovely i was surprised to find that at night he pee and messes on the floor as we have no problems with him in the day time could someone please advise me as to whether this is a problem caused by the change in his enviroment and will settle down or whether i this could be an on going problem and if so any ideas on how to stop him doing this...:thumbs up

mummummum
August 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Welcome to pets.ca ~ we would love to see a pic of your BC :lovestruck: (one of my tribe is a BC-Newf cross).

The indoor toiletting may have something to do with the stress of a new home as well as transitioning from a kennel environment to "outdoor" plumbing :D . Regardless, you should follow the exact toilet-training routine you would as if he were a little puppy with loads of positive reinforcement.

crazydays
August 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Hi.
Sorry to hear you have some potty issues to deal with. I need to ask a few questions. Does he cry to go out in the night? I am assuming he doesn't but just goes without your knowledge. Is he home all day with someone who regularly lets him out? Is he alone and for how long does he hold himself? Is he in a crate during the day? When does he get fed. Does he have activity after dinner allowing him the opportunity to go? Do you put his water up well before bedtime? Are you able to get any information from the rescue. How long was he in a rescue/shelter. Our local shelter closes the doors at 5 pm and the dogs go through the night till about 6-7am. The dogs have to urinate/defecate without going outside. His routine might be based on the shelter he came from-just a thought. This young dog may have to be re-established on a new routine.

Mickm72
August 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
would love to show you a pic of bounce but have no idea how to do it lol then yippee i worked it out lol isnt he lovely?
bounce does not cry to go out at night he is with me all day and most of that is spent outside playing and walking the doors are always open her in the day time and he will take himself out for the toilet when he needs it. He is never locked up here as if i need to go out i take him with me. I put paper down at night and he always uses it but i would love to break this habbit if as you say it one he has learned at the kennels. To answer you question i think that he has been in kennels for about 2 months and they also close up at 5 for the night.28344

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Aww...he's a darlin' !

You do need to go back to Toilet-Training 101. Regardless of whether he has free reign to go in and out ~ he may not differentiate between indoors and outdoors at this point.

This means you have to put yourself and him on a puppy schedule. Out first thing, out 1/2 hour after breakfast. Out at lunch if you can manage it. Out when you come home from work/ before supper. Out 1/2 hour after supper. Out before bed. You may need to sleep with one eye open for the first week or so into the new routine in case he needs to go out during the night. Everything else you do is "gravy". You need to be consistent in your scheduled times and you need to watch for the oh-so-subtle signs that he needs to go. The signs are there ~ you just haven't learned to read them yet.

You should lavish praise on him when he does his bizness outside and clean up the messes he makes indoors thoroughly to remove all staining/odour. Unless you catch him just as he is about to go or midway, there is no point in correcting him, scolding him etc. ~ he won't "get it".

As I said before, some of this may just be a hold-over from being kennelled and he will adjust quite and well to the new routine. But consistency and praise are the keys.

Mickm72
August 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
thank you very much i will start on this right away x:thumbs up