Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Cat Got Teeth Cleaned Now Wont Eat/ Swollen Tongue & Drooling

manzer75
August 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I recently was told by my vet that my cat needed his teeth cleaned because he was a diabetic and it seemed as though his teeth were bad where both infections could possibly be fighting off one another. Therefore, I scheduled an appointment to have them cleaned and the surgery went fine (as I was told) and they only cleaned his teeth and did not have to extract any. The surgeon also told me that the surgery was not necessary because his teeth just had a little tarter built up. (Basically the vet was wrong about needing them cleaned). They also told me that he should have been able to eat when he got home, yet he could not eat or drink, but he wanted to because he kept putting food in his mouth and then on the floor...couldn't swallow. We then waited it out because he is an older cat 13yrs. and in the morning his tongue was hanging out and swollen and he was also drooling. We then called our vet and wanted to talk with the doctor, but they only let me leave a message and so i asked for an appointment, but I told them that I could not wait... they were not helpful. Then I called another Vet hospital and they got me in right away. Currently, my cat has been there four days on an IV and I now have another bill of $500. I was told he was getting better, but now is worse and still won't eat. They now are telling me that he needs to be put under to see if there is any thing wrong in his mouth. Well, what if he had an allergic reaction from the first procedure and now they want to put him under again. Is this the first Vet's fault? I don't know what to do, I have a cat on my hands that was fine except for being a diabetic and now he can't eat on his own. I don't know where to go.

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I don't have much advice for you other than to go to the first vet's office and insist they tell you what they did to your cat. It sounds like he had a very bad reaction to something they did.

I wouldn't take him back there again either, since they didn't seem to care about the fact their patient was in distress.

I wish you luck. At least he's being taken care of now.

badger
August 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Wow, this is terrible. I would take your courage in your two hands and show up at the first vet's office, with a copy of the second vet's notes, and demand an explanation. Don't even bother to phone, just go. They have let you down badly; any vet worth his salt will do immediate follow-up if there is a problem post-surgery (and not charge a penny).

Tell them you are planning to write to the professional association to complain. Your letter will go on the surgeon's file but they probably won't take any action. You might have a legal case but that's for later.

Has anyone actually said that it might be a reaction to the anaesthetic because I doubt it, since you said his problem was mechanical - for want of a better word - which would indicate perhaps poor technique; maybe they nicked something they shouldn't have or were simply too rough. Did they send him home with painkillers? antibiotics?

I don't know what to say about putting the cat under again, do they say he is well enough? But they probably can't get a good enough look without a whiff of something. It's hard to trust anyone when you've been treated so shabbily, but maybe you could have a talk with the second vet (again, face to face) and find out what s/he thinks the problem might be. I mean there aren't hundreds of possibilities.

Did they draw the cat's blood before surgery or since? If so, were the results OK?

I just booked one of my cats for a dental cleaning and you have definitely given me something to think about...

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm so sorry you and your kitty are going through all this.:sad: :pray: :grouphug:

To me it sounds like maybe he is having a reaction to something the first vet used during the cleaning as it is localized to his mouth, if it were the anesthetic I would think it would be a more all over problem.

What is your gut telling you about this second vet? Do they have your kitties best interests at heart? Have they taken good care thus far?

It's a tough decision, and I would definitely follow up in person with that other vet.... any good vet would have seen your cat immediately if their surgery had caused complications (and would not charge you). And did you actually talk to the vet or just the secretary... definitely make sure that vet knows that you were given the run around and told you couldnt see him.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM
How horrible for you and your kitty to have to go through this. I would be going to the first vet and talking face to face with him. I think there is a tube that is put into the mouth when an animal is under anesthetic and perhaps that has done some damage to the cat's throat.

sugarcatmom
August 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Currently, my cat has been there four days on an IV and I now have another bill of $500. I was told he was getting better, but now is worse and still won't eat. They now are telling me that he needs to be put under to see if there is any thing wrong in his mouth.

It's imperative that a diabetic eat. Is your cat on insulin? Have they been checking his blood for ketones? It's hard to say what might have caused the reaction he's having (could be his throat was sore/swollen from the intubation during surgery?), but the fact that he hasn't eaten for several days is the most critical aspect right now. If they do put him under, you might want to ask the vet about installing a feeding tube at the same time. He's at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis if he doesn't get adequate nutrition, as well as hepatic lipidosis. You can try hand feeding him plain chicken baby food to see if he'll eat that (you are allowed to visit him, right?), but at this point I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying too many things. Please let us know what the vet decides to do.

Jim Hall
August 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
We then called our vet and wanted to talk with the doctor, but they only let me leave a message an


did u laeave a message and did they call back ?

i would be on the phone every 15 minutes to them until they told me what was going on

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
OMG,how terrible,your first concern right now is getting your kitty well again,then I would march over to the original vet,bill in hand and demand he covers it..
I've had my cats teeth cleaned regularly,no problems,even at one time long ago had a tooth pulled on a diabetic cat,no problems.
The first vet obviously did something wrong and I would raise hell,but first the kitty has to get well.

golden girl
August 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Your cat is still at the 2nd vet now, I know he is on IV is it just fluid and nutrients or is it an IV antibiotic?, does he have a temp?, The first vet admitted that he performed unessassary sugery!! and now your cat is unable to eat!! and is getting worse!! and the clinic would not get you in right away with post operative complications!! I would say get your cat better someplace other than the 1st vet, I would definately take the 2nd bill to 1st vet and if you do not get complete 100% satisfaction I would place a large article on the front page of your local newspaper. Maybe the 2nd vet could just sedate the cat to get a good look in his mouth rather than a complete general and intubation ?? Good Luck:fingerscr :pray:

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Any updates on your kitty?