Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'Dogs neglected' at rapper's home'

Riluke
August 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/08/25/dmx-dogs-arizona.html

dtbmnec
August 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Well if his caretaker really wasn't taking care of the dogs then the caretaker should get it.

If he wasn't taking care of the dogs previous to the 2 months he was away (which could be shown/seen right?) then DMX should get it.

:shrug:

Who to believe though...

Megan

P.S. Good to know about the guns though......:eek:

Jim Hall
August 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
We had a caretaker that wasn't taking care, that's what happened," Richman said. "He loves dogs, he loves these animals. Those dogs are practically his family."

yu huh and i'm tinkerbell

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It makes me wonder why he would have a dozen pit-bulls anyway,maybe he too is involved in dogfighting,just for the record i HATE rap-"music"and all it stands for:evil:

mummummum
August 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yup...I'd say HUGE red flags are waving all over the place on this one... :mad: :sad:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Both the caretaker and DMX should be charged in my view. DMX had a responsibilty to ensure they are cared for and the dogs were in the direct care of the caretaker. And if DMX loved his dogs like they were his family, why has he not seen them for two months?????:frustrated: Why did he not care enough to check on them????

dtbmnec
August 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
And if DMX loved his dogs like they were his family, why has he not seen them for two months?????:frustrated: Why did he not care enough to check on them????

Are you saying that if you phoned home and asked the caretaker if the dogs were ok you'd come back and make sure just in case?

DMX could have been on tour or something too. You can't exactly say "well I'm in Germany but I think my dogs are being abused so I'm going to go back home to check on them" you know?

We don't know all the details.....

As to why he needed 12 pit bulls...I don't know...:shrug:

He still gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Until he's proven that he was "in town" (think within a few hours flight time) and that he was told that his dogs weren't getting the care, I'm going with benefit of the doubt.

Megan

Riluke
August 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I don't know if he is involved with dog fighting. But I do believe that if you are the type of person who has a job that keeps you away from home for months at a time, then perhaps a dog...or 12 dogs really aren't a good idea. That alone in my mind doesn't make him a very responsible pet owner.

Ultimately, even if the caretaker didn't do his job, the owner is still repsonsible for their welfare. I feel bad for those poor dogs.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Are you saying that if you phoned home and asked the caretaker if the dogs were ok you'd come back and make sure just in case?

DMX could have been on tour or something too. You can't exactly say "well I'm in Germany but I think my dogs are being abused so I'm going to go back home to check on them" you know?

He has money and really could bring his dogs with him if he really wanted to. He could take a trip home between concerts to check on them, he can get a private flight. Also, if you can't be with your dogs for months at a time, why have them?? If they are like "family" as quoted, then treat them like family. Do you leave your children with a babysitter for two months at a time???

He could afford the best of caretakers for those dogs, he should ensure that he hired the best one possible.

I could never, would never leave my cats for two months straight unless I was being hospitalized. They are loved like "family".

dtbmnec
August 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
He has money and really could bring his dogs with him if he really wanted to. He could take a trip home between concerts to check on them, he can get a private flight. Also, if you can't be with your dogs for months at a time, why have them?? If they are like "family" as quoted, then treat them like family. Do you leave your children with a babysitter for two months at a time???

He could afford the best of caretakers for those dogs, he should ensure that he hired the best one possible.

I could never, would never leave my cats for two months straight unless I was being hospitalized. They are loved like "family".

My point was more to play a bit of Devil's advocate.

We don't know how many caretakers he looked at before choosing this one. For all we know he could have appeared great on paper/in person/on the phone and turned into a real "piece of work" after having to care for the dogs that long. Or the guy was supposed to take care of the dogs for two weeks and DMX was gone longer than that. It's like hiring a caretaker for your kid. They could seem fine in person and on paper, but as soon as you're gone to work they start being real idiots to your kids.

I just meant that we don't actually know WHY he's been gone for two months. For all we know he COULD have been overseas doing concerts where even a private flight back home would cost a hell of a lot; physically and financially . I mean a 15 hour flight back home, stay a few hours, and then another 15 hour flight back to wherever you are just wouldn't be something I could do; maybe not something he could do either. :shrug:

My cats are like family, but I don't think that they should be uprooted every time I plan on going on a trip either. I'll either have a friend/pet sitter look after them or board them.

People do make mistakes and unfortunately this mistake was a hell of one.

There ARE red flags all over this story. There are some things that are fishy.

But as I've tried to point out, sometimes there are logical reasons for the actions people have taken. There are so many unknowns at this point that its really hard to KNOW what happened. We only know of the results.

Megan

want4rain
August 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
i keep hoping to find out that he is really working with a PB rehab and rehome type organization. hope hope hope and thats WHY he had so many of them....

-ashley

punkyamberlea
August 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
What he desided he LOVED dogs after he was charged with animal neglect in 1999???????????????? something was going on at that place. 3 burned looking dog bodys were found like 10 cars with plates on them that didnt match the vin #. and this comes from a man that beat his Mother! Amber:pawprint:

Riluke
August 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I decided to have a look on what was written on his criminal past and it is hard to believe he really loved his dogs considering this is not his first offense. I had to just quote the related areas as to put all his charges would have been way to long. This man should not be allowed to own any animals ever!!

Police later raided Earl's home and filed animal cruelty, weapons, and drug possession charges against the rapper and his wife; he eventually plea-bargained down to fines, probation, and community service.

In 2002, he pled guilty to animal cruelty for having 13 neglected pit bulls in his possession. [9]

On 24 Aug 2007 Acting upon an animal cruelty tip, Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies reported to having removed 12 emaciated pit bulls from Simmon's Cave Creek home. Deputies also found the bodies of three dead dogs. Simmons was not at home when the raid occurred. Sources reported the deputies also removed a large cache of weapons in addition to drug paraphernalia and a large quantity of suspected drugs. At this time, DMX has not been charged with animal cruelty.[1]

chico2
August 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM
OMG,when will it ever end:yell:

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I decided to have a look on what was written on his criminal past and it is hard to believe he really loved his dogs considering this is not his first offense. I had to just quote the related areas as to put all his charges would have been way to long. This man should not be allowed to own any animals ever!!

Police later raided Earl's home and filed animal cruelty, weapons, and drug possession charges against the rapper and his wife; he eventually plea-bargained down to fines, probation, and community service.

In 2002, he pled guilty to animal cruelty for having 13 neglected pit bulls in his possession. [9]

.[1]

I wonder if these were also dogs that he claims to love as "family"???? I would hate to be part of his family. Hope he doesn't have any children.

dtbmnec
August 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Well I didn't know that....

*sigh*

Alright no more benefit of the doubt...

Megan