Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello!

Calico7
August 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I am a newbie here. I've never used one of these sites but thought someone here may be able to help give me advice about my very elderly, beloved cat, Sophie. She is almost 18 years old. She's recently developed a dry hacking cough. She acts as though she's about to throw up but never does. Just coughs. She is eating and drinking well and doesn't act in the least bit sick. She's happy and content the rest of the time. Albeit, a little arthritic. I, of course, will take her to my vet but it seems like the last three or four times I have taken her in for something he runs a very spendy blood test on her only to tell me she's old and won't last much longer. Duh, I already know that. Don't mean to slam my vet here, he's a good doctor. Her kidney levels at the last blood test were "elevated" I think he said. I would think that's pretty normal in a 17 year old cat. If she acted sick I would take her in but she's so happy and normal I just don't know what to do. Her coughing fits last a couple of minutes, then stop. She does this 3 or 4 times a day and once or twice at night. She's a 99% indoor kitty.

Any advice??

crazyk1020
August 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the board Calico7. I don't know what to tell you about your cat :sad: . They only time I have had any experience with the hacking was when LittlMan had pneumonia. It isn't a hairball is it??...sorry I just don't know :shrug:

mummummum
August 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Calico ~ we'd love to see a pic of your 17 yr old beauty! Also, you may want to re-post your question in the Health forum where more people will see it. We have many cat-devotee's on this board!

badger
August 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
A chest xray might be your next step (which involves an anesthetic, she would have to be healthy for that). Was the vet not worried?
Did the vet say the kidney readings were no cause for concern? Even so, I would make sure her diet doesn't put any extra pressure on her kidneys (your vet can advise you) and see that she drinks plenty, otherwise add water to her food.
Poor Sophie.
Yes, please, a picture :)

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Hi, calico7!

I've got too many dogs to know much about cats, but I did want to say hello and welcome to the board! :thumbs up I hope you can find the answer to what is bothering your kitty!

And yes, I'd like to 'third' that request for pics! :D