Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Family and Pets

want4rain
August 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
i know there was a poll about what kind of pets we all have but is there one about how many kids/spouses/other family living with us?

i think thats pretty important. there seem to be quite a few people who dont have kids. im interested in how that changes your views on your pets? or your pets change your views on your family members.

-ashley

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have one husband. And we plan on having kids. Our kitties are members of our family not pets. They are just as important as us and will continue to be.

Most of my family feels the same about their furry family members. They are given the same respect, consideration and love as any other member.:lovestruck: :grouphug:

mummummum
August 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM
No man, no children, 12 paws! I guess that makes me a sole-support :dog: Mum :laughing:

My dawgs past and present have always been treated as family members. When my mother was alive she always gave Tai (R.I.P) birthday and Christmas presents. Tai had and my 3 now have Christmas stockings handknit by my sister. If I was invited ~ Tai was invited.

Now, it's a little more complicated as my sisters have children and of course I have 3 dawgs instead of one. Their houses are far too small to accomodate everyone so I generally don't bring the dawgz along when I visit but we do Christmas dinner at my house and the dawgz continue to get prezzies and cards marking their b-days and the hollies. Bridie and Ceili both know the word "cousin" and get terribly, terribly excited when they come to visit. And we have always gone camping for one-two weeks as a whole family ~ now THAT'S "exciting" :rolleyes: :laughing:

want4rain
August 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
lol no one else has kids? or spouses?

-ashley

joeysmama
August 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
lol no one else has kids? or spouses?

I do ! I do ! My husband spoils Cooper even more than I do. My kids are 25 and 21 so they're not really "kids" any more. My son has been living at home this past year, since he graduated college, to save some money while he can. My daughter just went back to school yesterday for her senior year in college. So I suppose that's very different from having pets and young children. We had our cat, Thomasina, before we had kids and they grew up with her. But we didn't start with doggies until they were both in high school. We have a lot of time and attention to lavish on Cooper so it's worked out very well for us----and even better for him !! :laughing:

Jim Hall
August 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I had once lived in a house with 2 kids 2 women 1-2 dogs and 3-4 cats
plus at any other time ferrett turtle rabbit cockateil and oh yeah
othe rodents not guniea pigs the name escapes me

we had issues but nothing that couldnt be solved through human or animal training I was very lucky, all of the peeps loved and respected life.

i didnt care mush for the rodents though

erykah1310
August 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
We have a total of 10 chickens, 5 cats, 4 dogs and 4 rabbits.
By "we" i mean my boyfriend of 6 years and I.
Now, no we dont have kids, and the amount of trouble we will have to go through to concieve are just rediculous, so we have been talking about adoption... in the future.
We both love and respect all our animals, and by taking them into our homes, opening our hearts and sharing our lives with them all, nothing will change how we feel about our animals. They are not our "replacement kids" as I have heard it referred to once or twice by ignorant people, and we dont treat them like children, they are animals. Now, they do have things a lot better than most animals in our area but thats how we choose to do things. Our pets are a huge part of who we are.

If a child is one day added into our family, we will blend it in with the already established family we have and continue our adventures with one more.:lovestruck:

want4rain
August 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I had once lived in a house with 2 kids 2 women 1-2 dogs and 3-4 cats
plus at any other time ferrett turtle rabbit cockateil and oh yeah
othe rodents not guniea pigs the name escapes me

we had issues but nothing that couldnt be solved through human or animal training I was very lucky, all of the peeps loved and respected life.

i didnt care mush for the rodents though

2 women? dude, where do you live again?? :D :laughing:

-ash

rainbow
August 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Just me and hubby and two dogs and two cats. We've been together for almost 35 years and dogs and cats are the only kids we've ever had.

coppperbelle
August 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM
1 husband (married 28 years), 2 kids (24 and 20) both living at home and two furkids also living at home. :)

TMac
August 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
My husband and I have been married for 7 years (together for 14). We already had a labrador retriever together (:rip: Griffey ) and then we adopted Toby in 2005. and...now we have a baby on the way so our family is expanding!

Tommysmom
August 28th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Just me, my hubby and Tommy here! We've only been married just over a year, no kids (yet and/or possibly never, I'm older than he is and by the time we're ready the factory might be closed:laughing: ). Tommy's really our kid... we take him down to visit family every time we go. My sisters both have 2 kids each, so I think we have to get a second doggy just to be even with them:laughing: .

If we do have kids one day, it won't change the way we treat our pets. That's one of the things we share, our love for animals. We both grew up with dogs and cherish the memories we have of them and what they brought to our lives. We both knew that life would never be complete without a furry beast around to share it with us.

Bluedrake
August 29th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Single and just one cat. I think I'm missing something... :laughing:

clm
August 29th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Just me and hubby. Have been married for 24 years. No kids, 2 dogs, 4 cats, 1 cockatiel, 10 koi, 7 fancy goldies.

Cindy

Winston
August 29th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Myself......my hubby....1 dog Winston.....2 cats..Tabitha & Bomber.....no kids...only furry ones!

Cindy

jbsmomto1
August 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Just me and my daughter, the 2 boys (dogs) and loads of fish. We had a parrot up until very recently :cry:

krdahmer
August 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Nope you have a cat.... nothing missing:D :cat:

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM

I'll say it for Frenchy :D " Yes! Absolutely ! You are missing a beautiful, older Golden Retriever of course !!"

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'll say it for Frenchy :D " Yes! Absolutely ! You are missing a beautiful, older Golden Retriever of course !!"

Oh and I can see she lives in Gatineau ! We will have one up for adoption in your area soon :D

Me , 3 dogs , 2 cats , the fuzzbutts are my kids.

Jim Hall
August 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
2 women? dude, where do you live again?? :D :laughing:

-ash

lol actually we shared a two story house my g friend linda
shared a house with our friend vicky and her sister's two children
Her sister had died in a car crash so vicky took the kids in and raised them

we lived more pr less as a family unit and i am the godfather too the two kids now adults

Riluke
August 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I have a husband, a six year old son, a four month old puppy, and the 2 rat brothers. I am the only female in the house...but that's okay 'cause they all know who the ALPHA is in this pack!

I had my cat Wolf when I met my husband and he passed away at the ripe age of almost 14 due to health complications. My son loved the cat so much he still talks about him. We got the dog because....well what house isn't complete without a dog! We taught our son to treat animals with respect and the Luke (the dog) has become his best friend/playmate. It all worked out in the end.