Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog won't "go" outside when it's raining

crazyforcats
August 27th, 2007, 12:22 AM
My 10-month old puppy is completely housetrained - we don't even crate her at night anymore. But today it was pouring rain outside, and she needed to "go" out. So I let her out, and she would stay out for minute before wanting back in. This happened a couple of times - it really seemed like she needed to do something. Then a few minutes after being in the house she pooped on the floor! My husband and I are sure that it's because she didn't like the rain, but for crying out loud - what am I supposed to do every time it's pouring raining and she needs to go? [FYI - she's been outside in the rain many times before, without a problem. But today it was coming down hard for most of the day.]

Shaykeija
August 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM
My two dogs will not go out in the rain. If I make them they will just stand still and get wet. So on rainy days I put pee pads down for them. I have 2 small dogs so no biggie for me.

LavenderRott
August 27th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Grab an umbrella, snap a leash on her collar and TAKE her outside.

Tommysmom
August 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM
My dog hates going out in the rain too. The last few days we've had a ton of rain and the only way to convince him he had no choice was to stand out there with him. As long as I'm there, he realizes he has no choice - if I just put him out he'll run right back to the door to come in.

clm
August 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM
My last dog Yogi hated getting his feet wet, one of my puppies, Baxter, also hates it. Like LavenderRott said, snap a leash on him and take him outside. If I waited for him to decide to go, he wouldn't, so I put a leash on Baxter and walk him around the yard until he goes. Even dewey grass puts him off, then the pathways are fair game to him. :laughing: Yes I get wet on rainy days (I can never find an umbrella), but I'm not made of sugar, I won't melt :laughing:

Cindy

kigndano
August 27th, 2007, 07:17 AM
you know its funny, i had this problem too..and i thought it was just my dog or soemthing so i didnt bother posting the question.

good to know some dogs just hate the rain!

Tommysmom
August 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM
LOL Clm, nice to know I'm not the only one who can't ever find an umbrella! I swear my neighbours laugh themselves silly when I'm standing out there, dripping wet and soaked to the skin, hollering 'go pee, mommy's wet and cold, go pee, pee pee, go pee' :laughing: :laughing: .

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Bailey(Cocker)is the same,I have to lift her outside and if she is not leashed,will run and sit by the door...once hubby starts running a bit though,she gets all excited and forgets about the rain:dog:

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Funny I should see this thread first thing this morning... We have 8 setters. Setters are notorious for NOT being water dogs. :laughing: I'm still dripping!

Our time outside was limited--ground strikes with some impressive thunder :eek: Still, I got 6 of the 8 to poop outside, and all 8 to pee...but I had to clean up two messes inside (in their defense, though, they are both recent adoptees, and both from a kennel situation, so they aren't totally housebroken, yet). On days like today, we use little mistakes like that as learning opportunities, clean up the mess, and just be relieved that we no longer have to keep such an eagle eye on the newbies because they've already eliminated. :shrug:

The housebreaking will come eventually :thumbs up And so will willingness to pee and poop in the rain. Just use patience and consistency--and get yourself a good rain hat--and it'll happen! hazel isn't worried :p

crazyforcats
August 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Grab an umbrella, snap a leash on her collar and TAKE her outside.

NEXT time I will do this. Unfortunately when this happened it was 5 minutes before my daughter's 6th birthday party was about to start....

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM
NEXT time I will do this. Unfortunately when this happened it was 5 minutes before my daughter's 6th birthday party was about to start....

:grouphug: :rolleyes: Yep...don't they always just have the greatest timing!? :o Just be grateful it wasn't while you were cutting the cake! :D

want4rain
August 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
HAHA yep, this house too!! he absolutely freaks over a thunder storm. has to glue himself to my leg... makes for awkward potty time i tell you!! (i ALWAYS have my umbrella handy!!!)

-ashley

Longblades
August 27th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Movement usually helps to stimulate the urge to "go" so it should be walks as usual. Longer than usual if necessary, and longer than one minute for sure. At 10 months you are allowing your puppy to rule you in this matter. You can buy a cheap rainsuit for yourself. And unless it is a delicate small breed dog and cold, cold rain, a little wet won't hurt at all.

Boy, I wish it would rain all day here.

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Boy, I wish it would rain all day here.

:eek: Careful what you wish for, Longblades! :D We've had quite a bit of that arund here lately...it's getting definitely soggy after over 9 inches of rain here so far this month! :p But I'll send some your way if you give me a general direction in which to direct it! :laughing:

:sorry: :offtopic: :o

SnowDancer
August 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
My Eskimo loves the rain - except of course for doing his business, then he objects. Probably would help if he would lift his leg, but he only does this about 10% of the time - and only when he has a perfectly flat service to balance himself on so that he can do a perfect 90 degree left lift. Someone on the street asked me where his tutu was. So I guess he doesn't like to squat in the rain. I have been tempted to put shampoo on him when it is really pouring and try to accomplish to things at once - clean up his white fur as he frolics in the mud and hopefully wets. We went to Halifax in May and I found a long, yellow heavy duty rubbery raincoat with a hood. That is now my rain attire. I lurk on an Eskie specific board and many of the Eskies won't "go" in the rain either - mud is great fun though.

clm
August 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM
To top it all off, hubby won't go outside if there's even a remote chance of thunder or lightening, so if the pups have to go during a storm, and we haven't had many since we got the puppies, I have to go out with them. Maybe I should snap a leash on hubby and drag him out too :laughing:

Cindy

mspeas
August 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM
:laughing: I own two Shelties, one loves the rain the other hates it. For goodness sake they are built for the rainy weather as their fur repels the water. Anyway, I take them both out on their leash when it's raining so one runs in the puddles and splashes (the female) while the other hangs his head and pouts (the male). Finally both will go potty, I let them off leash and see who makes it home first! Needless to say, I get wetter than they do. :D Gotta love them.

glitterless
August 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I wish I had a picture of this, but I'll do my best to describe it.

Spike has never liked mud. He'll stand out in the rain, but avoids anything mucky at all costs.

When we lived in the suburbs, we had a deck off back of the house with steps leading down to a patio. The deck took up almost the whole width of the house and yard, and the patio went maybe 3/4 of the length of the yard. It was bordered by 4x4" boards or whatever they'd be for that purpose. At the end of the patio (halfway down the fence) was a garden shed. It took up the width of the patio and there wasn't any room to walk on the patio stones unless you could do the balance beam thing!

I let Spike outside one rainy day and watched him wander out to what was left of the lawn. He actually tip-toed along that wood boarder beside the garden shed -- maybe 4" wide -- then when that ended he tip-toed right along the edge of a little garden, as far out of the mud as possible until he found a decent spot to go.

It was so hilarious! He's quite the character.

Sasha just won't go out when it's raining. I don't know how she holds it. And Echo, whose from rainy British Columbia just doesn't mind wet weather in the least!

Longblades
August 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I can tell a similar story but it's about a horse. The owners told me she didn't like puddles. Soon enough, one day we encountered a lane way full of mud puddles and she stopped, would not go forward, took a fit, started getting really upset and about to rear and go backwards off the laneway which was along the ridge of a hill, so we were about to fall down the hill. So I did major huge NO NO of horse back riding and got off her. You generally have much more control of a horse while on it but away I went to the end of the reins and she followed to the mud puddles and came behind me as I wound my way between them. Now I had on my good leather boots and no way was I going to step in mud puddles. I stepped on the little bits of ground in between them and the mare stepped exactly in my footprints. She followed so closely behind me I could hardly move my feet out of the way in time for hers to fall. Obviously she just didn't know there was safe ground under the puddles and horses are very cautious of where they put their feet and she was only three and recently backed. You got it, back and forth we then went, me in my good leather boots in deep muddy puddles and her happily splashing along behind me. Horse no longer afraid of mud puddles. Boots dried out but never looked quite as good after. :)

glitterless
August 28th, 2007, 11:39 PM
That's a cute story! My gelding is "scared" of water when we're heading out on a ride, but he'll happily plod through it on the way home. Can you say "BARN SOUR?" :laughing:

Animals are big babies sometimes. I don't know if some of them could ever manage to survive without us!

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I must have the only lab in the world that hates to get his feet wet. :yell: I have to drag all 90lb. of him out even after the sprinklers have been on and the grass is wet. :rolleyes:

glitterless
August 30th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Good thing he's not a working dog, Rainbow ;)