Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mother and 5 kittens

serf909
August 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forum!
I am fostering a litter of 5 kittens (about 2 weeks old), with their mother. I am a little worried about them, because the mother seems to have little interest in the kittens. I have only had them since Friday, but whenever I enter the room the mother seems to be laying down far away from the kittens. Besides the times I put the kittens near the mother while she was already laying down, I never see her feeding them. Tonight, they seemed to cry, ALOT, and the mother didn't seem to care.
This is my first time fostering, so I am not familiar with it. How often should they be nursing?
Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated, I am going to take a look around the boards now.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I am currently fostering a momma and 7 kittens. This is my first experience with a litter of kittens. A member suggested that I get a large box with a towel down to keep the kittens in. Are yours in a large enough box for Momma to lie down comfortably with the kittens?

Momma would only go in the box to nurse and clean them and then she would leave. She would nurse immediately after eating. I was feeding her Felidae Cat and Kitten mixed with Wellness Kitten kibble. Nursing moms need the extra energy to produce the milk and lots of water. She is eating about 3 times the normal adult amount. Also she should be cleaning their behinds regularily as that is the only way kittens can pee and poo. She did respond when they mewed and would go into the box.

Contact who you are fostering from or your vet to get any further instructions, possibly some kitten formula. Time is of the essence as kittens will go down hill quickly. Do not feed them cows milk.

serf909
August 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I tried contacting the SPCA, but there is no answer at the foster home section there :confused:
Now it is too late to go into the vet.
They are not going to the bathroom, the only time I have seen the mother clean their back end, is while she is feeding them, and she only did it to one kitten. My friend and I tried to stimulate them to go to the bathroom but nothing happened.
The mother is actually eating more now, so that's good. But I am very worried about the babies! EDIT:they seem full, and I have noticed growth since I have gotten them --> they do not appear unhealthy besides the lack of eliminating.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
A lack of eliminating can kill them quickly. My momma would only do one at a time, but did different ones through out the day. They need to be weighed by digital scale every day and should be gaining about 10 grams per day.

How about calling a Vet?

Are you feeding momma kitten food? She needs maximum calories and nutrition.

Good luck and keep us posted.

serf909
August 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Yes, thats what shes being fed.. and I bought some cat milk to see if she would drink some of that.. but she is hardly interested in anything I give her. She did eat more today than yesterday.

krdahmer
August 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
How old is the mother? Has she been feeding them up til now? If the mother is very young she may not know what to do.... I fostered a ferel once who rejected all her kittens, and except for one didn't even lick them clean after birthing them, it was like she had no idea what was happening to her and wanted nothing to do with them. They were all sick and died within a week or two. I felt so sorry for the momma cat. :sad:

Maybe whoever you are fostering for might have another mother cat who could feed the kittens, but if they are not eating enough and not eliminating you'll need to get them to a vet, and maybe bottle feed them. Some cats are just too young to have that mothing instinct, especially if its her first litter.

serf909
August 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
they didn't know how old she was, she was a rescue. the only time i see her feed is when we put the kittens at her belly to be fed.
I am bringing them to the vet tomorrow morning, I spoke to the vet and she said they should be fine for the night :confused:
wish them luck

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:54 AM
every two to three hours and get some esbilac formula for them, Mom might have a disease so don't force her to nurse them she might not nurse them because she is too ill or else too oldnurse them with bottles that come from the pet store or vet and try to mix their formula with nursery water that is sold in gallons for human infants because it has electrolytes in it or use pedialyte for the same reason they need to suck a lot if they don't get to suck then later they will suck on each other or on their owners improperly weaned it isn't good, a shelter would probably euthanize kittens that suck inappropriately so use that bottle a lot and get a birdcage or crate they need tpo go everywhere with you, the Mom is worn out try feeding her a high protein cat food and that might help her to feel better she might have FIV or something if so the kittens can be infected get a vet involved. I have never seen much good come from rescuing kittens when their Mother behaves like yuo described there is something very wrong here. Most Mom cats are excellent Mothers so this appears very unusual, how is her stool? is it runny, she could have a worm infestation that can run them down, fleas make them anemic try feeding her cooked chopped liver for three days and see if that helps any, the health of the mother can affect the kittens so before you get attached any further get her a vet health exam some vets do this free once initially, you cannot guarantee the kittens health at such a tender age but if Mom starts feeling better she might nurse them also does she even have much milk? How is she eating? they need a lot of liquid in order to produce milk, feed her well and a Mother cat can be given milk, I prefer to give them baby formula not huge amounts but say a saucer of it several times a day
Yuo can also mix powdered baby formula into her canned cat food and make sure she gets lots of liquid even soup you can make a soup for cats with a soup bone boil it add a roast garlic some grated carrots and no salt please then cool it entirely and feed in place of water the garlic should always be roast as fresh garlic can cause indigestion but they like the flavor
Also if you can simply add a spoon or so of Brewers yeast or nutritional yest from the health food store or the grocery stores to the Mom cats diet then if she is anemic those B vitamins will help her immensely they also make her not taste so good to fleas and other parasites, this is essential. Old Mom cats sometimes behave like this and very young ones do too

serf909
August 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
thanks you guys for the info and help, much appreciated. She is eating lots now and feeding them on her own and cleaning them.. it's as if she is a different cat, maybe she had something and isn't sick anymore? well they are going to the vet today anyways just in case.
Thanks again!

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
So glad they are doing better. Maybe momma was exhausted and undernourished and needed some recovery time :highfive:

Are you able to post some pictures??

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
She was probably too stressed out from being moved to new surroundings. Glad all is going well now and I second the request for some pics. :D

serf909
August 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13210&l=386bf&id=516967107

:)

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
OMG more adorable baby kitties :lovestruck: :cloud9:
glad to hear they're doing better :highfive:

krdahmer
August 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
:lovestruck: Aw what a pile of cuties! I'm on kitten overload tonight! I love it!