Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

5 week kitten is sick

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I am fostering a momma cat and her 7 kittens. One of them is sick, vomit, not eating, lethargic. He was the largest in the litter but is not gaining weight. Will be taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. No sneezing, eye discharge.

I am so afraid he won't make it through the night.

Does anybody know what I can do to help him through the night?

How can anybody ever want their cats to have kittens? Much to stressful!!!!

I am going back to check on him.

badger
August 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Can you bring yourself to force-feed him small amounts of water/sugar/salt (sorry, I don't know the proportions) or pedialyte? That's the only thing I would worry about right now, dehydration. Even if it's just a couple of teaspoons every hour or so, enough to hold him until tomorrow. No sleep for you, Love4himies!
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Good luck with the kitten Love4himies :pray:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I am so stressed right now. I tried to give him some formula that I had left over and he threw it up like he was going to spit up a hairball. He let out a few mews just before he was sick.

He seems disoriented and so weak.

Should I try just water?

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Of course I live in a small town so there is nothing open now. I don't have any pedialite on hand.

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Water couldn't hurt him , I think :shrug:

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Is there a 24 hours emergency animal hospital you could call and ask what you can do ? They usually give you advice over the phone.

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Here's a recipe for homemade pedialyte. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Not sure, if he was my cat he would be off to the vet right now, but he belongs to the Gananoque Humane Society so I have to as they instruct.

Maybe I should call the director back and see if we can get an emergency vet visit.

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Rainbow.

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Good idea...otherwise try the homemade recipe. Keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
He is off to the vet right now.

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
He is off to the vet right now.

Good luck ! :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM
awww poor sick baby :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug: :goodvibes: :pray:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Vet is not sure. Thinks it is a gastro infection but is concerned about him because we have no idea if momma has ever had her shots.

His temperature is a little high but not too far off the mark. His colour is OK, not too pale.

He got some subcutaneous fluids with electrolytes, gravol to settle his stomach, and some anitbiotics to start in the morning.

Poor thing.

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Did they do a Blood Panel to check FIP/CoronaVirus titers?

:fingerscr that it's nothing serious :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
No they didn't. If he is not better tomorrow he is to go back to the vet.

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM
:pray:ing for baby kitty to be all better before morning :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug:

How's he acting now? just sleeping or feeling a bit better/little more active?

poor :sick: baby :cat:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks Growler,

He is just sleeping right now. Won't play, barely stands, won't eat. Vet also mention Panleukopenia because we don't know if Momma was ever vaccinated. That could be disasterous for all the kittens.

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM
If you can try to keep him warm but not hot. And if possible separated from the others until you know for sure that may give all the others a better chance of not contracting what he has if it is FIP/CoronaVirus or Panleukopenia.

:pray:ers for the babies & momma :cat: too :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
The vet wanted the kitten to stay with his momma just in case the gravol settle his stomach and he wanted to nurse.

I am so scared he is not going to make it. He tries to stand and falls over, like he is so weak.

Poor guy. He looks at me like he is begging for my help.

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
of course, sorry I forgot :o just how young they were, they should stay with momma to nurse, how :loser:ish of me

krdahmer
August 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
:sad: So sorry the little guy is sick.... I'll :pray: for you both tonight!:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM
:grouphug:

:fingerscr and :pray: for the little tyke!

Crestedcrazy
August 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
:pray: good thoughts for the little one
what a stressful situation I hope that all ends up Ok with him

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Hope the little guy makes it. :fingerscr :goodvibes: Are all the other kittens okay? :fingerscr :fingerscr

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Bear made it through the night, but I think another is sick.

I WOULD NEVER, NEVER, NEVER allow my cats to get pregnant, much too hard on the mother and too stressful on me. They are cute, but breeding should only be left to the experienced person.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Woo hoo, just checked on Bear and he is nursing.

Another appears to be sick though :sad: .

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM
L4H,OMG how stressful and sad,glad Bears is doing better though,hopefully the other one will be too:pray:
I am surprised the shelter would give you cats to foster not knowing if the mom has been vaccinated or if she carries a desease,I would think they would have checked her before:confused:
:pray: the little babies will be ok:pray:

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Woo hoo, just checked on Bear and he is nursing.

Another appears to be sick though :sad: .

:fingerscr that's it's just something minor and they'll all pull through! Yay for Bear, at least! :highfive:

You're doing a great job, Love4himies! :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Back from the vets again. Bear was dehydrated and needed subcutaneous fluids again. He is still not active, but not vomiting anymore.

He nursed for a bit with Momma, I took away the other kittens so he could have any nipple he wanted but Momma got up and left him there:yell:

The vet suggested I take the other kittens out of the room for an hour or so and leave the two sick ones in with her so there will be no competition over nipples.

They mentioned Panoleukpenia (sp??) again this morning. :pray: that it isn't and that even though Momma's human was not responsible enough to get her spayed :wall: , that they at least ensured she got her shots.

Took a fecal sample in this morning, no parasites.

Asked about bloodwork and the vet said he is too small to get any blood from that would diagnose specifics. If he continues to get worse, they will admit him and try to get enough to get a WBC.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 09:38 AM
L4H,OMG how stressful and sad,glad Bears is doing better though,hopefully the other one will be too:pray:
I am surprised the shelter would give you cats to foster not knowing if the mom has been vaccinated or if she carries a desease,I would think they would have checked her before:confused:
:pray: the little babies will be ok:pray:

They did have time to give her first set of shots, but did not have time before she gave birth.

Yes if they are going to foster, they should have had blood work done. The other issue is, there are two orphans in the litter that she is nursing and not sure if that momma was up to date on her shots either.

Crestedcrazy
August 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Oh I was so relieved to get up this morning and the little ones made it through the night!
here's hoping that things just keep getting better!:goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Aack he is vomiting again along with two other kittens:yell: . He ran across the room this afternoon so I am hoping that is a good sign and seemed to be steadier on his little legs. Yesterday he wouldn't move. He has gone from the biggest of the litter to the smallest kitten in a couple of days:sad: :sick: .

badger
August 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
so it's infectious. too bad. does the shelter cover their vet care?

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, the shelter is covering the vet care. Poor kitten. The good news is it has been 24 hours and he is not worse so hoping it is not panleukopenia. Bear has gone from the largest to the smallest and Speedy has gone from the fastest to the slowest.

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
L4H,I am sure these little guys could not be in better hands,but boy,this is a HUGE responsability and nerveracking I am sure,however you are doing a great thing:thumbs up
Lets hope these babies survive,they are so terribly fragile:pray:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you everbody for all your help and support, you guys are the greatest.

I now have three very sick kittens and have taken the whole lot to the vet. Third time for Bear. They all got subcutaneous fluid, shot of gravol and are now on antibiotics. This was an extremely healthy litter that got very ill within a 24 hours. Hundreds of dollars in vet bills, don't know how breeders deal with the stress and the bills.

If anybody is thinking about allowing their pets to have a litter, I sure have something to say now. What an experience.

Vet does not think it is Panleukopenia anymore because of the fact that Bear has not gotten any worse, but could be another viral infection or bacterial infection. Also, because these kittens have not come into contact with any other cats, and my cats have had complete bloodwork and vaccines up to date and are not carriers of this virus, they would only be able to get the virus from momma, and if she was infected or a carrier, the kittens would probably gotten the disease at a much younger age and have died before now.

Whew relieved when I heard that. :fingerscr that they are feeling better tomorow.

Frenchy
August 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM
:fingerscr for the kittens , hope they recover fast ! :goodvibes: You're doing a great job ! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
So relieved to hear they are doing better :pray: for more good news :goodvibes:

:grouphug:

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
They need you to clean their bottoms gently rubbing with cotton balls every time they are fed this gentle rub with a warm slightly damp cotton ball helps them eliminate your licking their butt with the cotton ball simulating what Mom should be doing but can't because she is too sick likely FIV or anemia don't let her nurse the kittens if you can nurse them when you feed them hold them and gently rub them to "burp" them they are a baby wash them with clean cotton balls all over very gently they need this stimulation and if Mom turns out not to be seriously sick try to build her back up so she can at least help she might take an interest in them if she returns to good health even if all she does is bathe them but make sure she has a health exam first in case she is sick but kittens aren't why pass something on to them if they do not already have it I suspect anemia that is what it sounds like or diabetes and either way you need to know

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:24 AM
use Murine until you get the cat to the vet or get some antibiotic ointment from the feed store , vet or pet shop, I have even successfully mixed up terramycin powder the kind you feed cattle in a very diluted formula and used Q tips on feral kittens that I rescued and it worked well to cure conjurnctivitis
Does your shelter have a county vet, if so they are far less expensive than tyhe local business vet. I get cats spayed at the shelter and health exams and if they say euthenize we do no sense in spreading a disease use common sense on this, they can vomit if you are not u1si65cat formula and if your not rubbing their butts with the cotton ball to help them eliminate trust me that is absolutely necessary.I have to keep editing because my rescued healthy from a feral Mom kittens keep walking on the keyboard Murine is a good temp solution it is sterile and has boric acid which soothes their eyes

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:39 AM
My kittens come from a feral Mom who followed my neutered cat home for dinner last winter and she deposited five kittens in my basement one died she is quite young herself and I need to trap her she has fleas and ear mites likely worms I bathed the kittens the vet said to bathe them for fleas and use cotton swabs to help on ear mites they are too young for treatment for either at this time but they do not know they are wild now or that they hissed at me and tried biting and spitting when I rescued them I adore them they are already pigs and litter box trained I revel in the fact that they seem to be very healthy but I did as the vet said I used a syringe and forcefed them a lot of pedialyte and water the key is keep them hydrated

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I am sure the vet will concur they need pedialyte or nursery water and rub their butts gently with those cotton balls if he is not poopinmg it is backing up and that will make him vomit it has to go somewhere if it does not come out the rear end where it is supposed to go then he will vomit it back out the front end and that can kill him because he can suffer from vomiting you can try also to add a drop of peppermint to his pedialyte to help his tummy ache but don't use much just soak a peppermint candy in his water and then give him a drop of that in an eyedropper.I seem to be giving out all of my kitten secrets but so many Mom cats over the years have left me their kittens, feral moms etcetra and most grew up just fine, does the Mom have fleas, anol infestation can make them anemicI wish these kittens would stop walking on the keyboard but they want to help so much

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
My cats and my ferals never seemed to get sick from baby formula but I never over did it either, I keep a cat box on the porch for the ferals and I observe through a window they seem fine even after drinking milk but I know some cats react badly to it maybe that is a tendency in a gene But i have mixed powdered miljk and formula in cat food with no ill effects I think it depends on your cat, I once brught a feral home from being spayed and she was extremely constipated and the vet said feed her warm milk for the constipation

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Sorry to hear that now it's 3, L4H. :grouphug: At least Bear doesn't seem to be getting worse--there's still a good chance they'll pull through :fingerscr
:pray: :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Bear is not doing well at all this morning. Won't move so I don't think this is a bacterial infection. I hope he hasn't given up.

Have seen 4 vets and none have any answers.

chico2
August 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM
OH no L4H,that's not what we were hoping to hear:cry:
It must be a very sad experience for you,they are such fragile little creatures,but I still hope they'll make it:pray:

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 08:19 AM
The vet has decided to hospitalize two of the sickest kittens. I am not feeling good about this at all. One of the technicians will bring them home at night to continue to care for them.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Good news, it is not Panleukopenia, tests came back negative. Why didn't the vets to this test to begin with???

Love4himies
August 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM
They are coming home. The sickest, Bear, tried some food on his own this morning (first time in 3 days), and Speedy is speeding around her cage and lapping up the food.

They will be put on a prescription diet to help their bowels heal.

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :) :) :) :) :) :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
WOO HOO :highfive: ....hope they have now turned the corner and are on the road to recovery. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
August 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM
:grouphug: Some good news... hope they continue to improve!:pray:

CyberKitten
August 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Just peeked in and saw this. You have already had good advice so there is not too much I can add. I would care for them yourself if mom is sick - it's not a good sign if she walked away. She may be too young to be a good mom even tho some kittens give birth and do well, it never should happen!

It may be too late now but I am curious as to why the vet did not recommend keeping Bear isolated - since it appears to be infectious. Even when it is not known for sure, many vets will do it just to be cautious. I am not being critical, just curious. You are doing are outstanding job with them - caring for ill kittens is so difficult and heart wrenching. You hate to see them ill. For me, it is akin to my working with infants.

I'd keep them warm, feed them at intervals and as was suggested, help them eliminate if mom is not doing that since that in and of itself can create probs (ie the lack of eliminating.) Even if mom does feed them, Bear and the others prob need added nutrition - not just Pedialyte but KMR. I'd ask the shelter for some. Surely they have some there!

Good luck. My thoughts are with you!

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
That's such good news, L4H! (I was almost scared to look back in this thread tonight :o) Much better news than I expected! :highfive:

Keep up the good work and make sure to keep us posted, okay? I'm looking forward to pictures when everyone is healthy and feisty again! :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
L4H so very glad to hear everyone is on the mend! Keep up the great work kitten :angel: !

Love4himies
August 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM
They are ALL BOUNCING FURRY PING PONG BALLS today :) :) :) :) .

Three are being fed prescription food that is easy on their bowels, not formula, as the vet feels they need some substance and are still nursing with momma anyway.

Bear still has diarreha, but has gained a couple of grams overnight :highfive:
He followed momma around for hours after he came home and nursed from her whenever she would let him (even while she was eating). Speedy didn't seem to miss her that much. Momma stopped her meowing when they were returned to her (do they know when some are missing) and gave them big, big kisses. I thought maybe she was going into heat, but she must have been calling for them.

The five kittens that were not hospitalized, did their sniffing and immediately started playing.

Cyberkitten,

I was thinking the very same thing about the vet, especially when he thought it could be panleukopenia. Only the last vet I saw immediately took the sickest ones away to hospitalize.

I think the only thing that saved Bear and Speedy was the daily trips to the hospital for fluids (2x per day).

I do have a picassa web album if anybody wants to view them. I haven't updated since the illness started because my priority has been taking care of them. My poor Jasper and Puddles have been feeling neglected :sad: .

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/debghislainroy/SweetPeaAndKittens?authkey=WEE9g7zWrNE

I love them all:lovestruck: , have to think of a way to convince my husband to allow me to keep momma. So far he has said no, three is too many.:frustrated:

Thank you for all your well wishes, it comforted me alot.

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/4.gif

Yay!!!!! for kittens doin' good :highfive:

Love the vids especially first climbing outta the box :lovestruck:

great cat stand :thumbs up

chico2
August 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM
L4H,LOVED the videos and the great pics:thumbs up
I am such a suck though,I look at these little innocent guys and wonder what is going to happen to them when they leave your good care,will they get good homes??
Will they eventually end up on the street???and mama cat,she is such a good mom and a beautiful cat,how long will she end up in a cage at the shelter??
Please,please try to convince your hubby to keep her,he was ready to take in the kitty that got run over,right??
Those are all things that go through my stupid head.
You are doing a wonderful thing,wish I could too but I would probably end up with an awful lot of cats and hubby would move out:laughing:

jowilson002
August 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Best of luck to you and your foster kittens...I would take them all to the vet; the mom and all of the little ones just to make sure that they are ok. If it is some type of virus they may all have it or be in the process of getting ill.

Again, best of luck and I keep you in my:pray:

I also have some sick cats. I recently lost one and it was very difficult. I hope that it doesn't happen to you. Maybe it's nothing serious. It is definitely a good sign that Bear is nursing.

Jennifer W.

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yay! Some very good news, L4H! :D :highfive: Woooohoooo!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get out to the pictures. hazel has some really frustrating connection problems :frustrated: But I'll try again when/if I get a faster connection! :thumbs up Meanwhile, I'm just happy to hear that things are looking up! :D

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm glad they are doing better ! :thumbs up I couldn't see the pics and videos , same as Hazel , I'm on dial up :sad:

CyberKitten
August 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Awwwwwwww!! I am absolutely thrilled :) :) :) :) to hear the kittens are on the mend. That is tremendous news and a testament to your careful and loving care!! Good for you!!! And them!! I hope it continues - as I am sure it will. They seem to have turned the corner. Wonderful news that the diagnosis was not anything serious.

As to your q, was it rhetorical re mama cats missing a kitten. Yes, they do indeed miss a kitten - they want to know where all of them are at all times. They will call to their kits as they age (ie weekly, lol) so they'll know where they are. I sometimes think mama cats are THE world's best mothers - of any species. They are sop determined and will g to any lengths. I think all species are good but cats are special.

This one sounds good as well - I wondered in hindsight (which is always so easy I know!) if she detected an illness sin Bear and that is why she was not feeding him. Cats always seem to know when something is wrong. It's good that you were there to bring them to the vet daily - and I agree with you that the subcutaneous fluids probably helped a great deal. You have done extremely well - I have seen so many kittens in distress and some - even with the absolute best care in remarkable vet clinics do not make it so you are GOOD!! I think attention to detail is not to be undersold in caring for kittens.

Thx for the photos and videos- they are soooooooooooo cute!!!! I too hope mama gets to stay with you!! She deserves it! While I have cared for my share of bottle babies (kittens whose mothers have died or are too ill to care for them), the first ones are ones still in my heart after all these yrs. I ended up keeping two - just couold not let go of them and after making an extra effort to place the other two, had people I know adopt them. These of course are not bottle babies but sick kittens are just as much work often and they do grab your heart!!

Good luck!!! You are their angel!! :angel: :grouphug:

krdahmer
August 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
So glad they are getting better.... and thank you so much for those pics and video...I got tears in my eyes remembering when I had Fagan, his two brothers and their sister at that age.... Too cute!!! I'm dreamin of kittens tonight!!!:lovestruck: :sleepy: