Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Restless Golden Retreiver

Mackinzie
August 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Mac is a 7-yr old Golden - beautiful build, coat, etc. But he cannot settle down. He paces and pants around the house. Sometimes he won't even come in at night to sleep - stays outside all night. He barks at anything that moves or any sound he hears. He is also dog-aggressive (never people). Could he be Hyperthroid, or have some other disorder making him stressed?
please help me figure this out!! Anyone want to adopt him?

crazydays
August 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hi MacKinzie-:shrug:
You definitely sound frustrated. A friend of mine has a golden retreiver that does the same thing.
Could you answer some questions please-
1) Has he always done this? Are you his only owner?
2) What kind of exercise does he get?
3) Has he had obedience training?
4) Have you had him assessed by your Vet?. Does your Vet know this?
5) Has something traumatic happened in his life? Has he lost a dog friend etc.

coppperbelle
August 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Mac is a 7-yr old Golden - beautiful build, coat, etc. But he cannot settle down. He paces and pants around the house. Sometimes he won't even come in at night to sleep - stays outside all night. He barks at anything that moves or any sound he hears. He is also dog-aggressive (never people). Could he be Hyperthroid, or have some other disorder making him stressed?
please help me figure this out!! Anyone want to adopt him?

I am involved with golden rescue and have had goldens myself for 30 years. Before anyone can answer your questions there are a few things you need to fill in.
Is he neutered?
How long have you had him?
Does he get regular exercise?
Has he been checked at the vet recently?

I will agree that you sound frustrated and hopefully we will be able to help you out.
If he is not neutered he could be smelling a female in season which is stressing him out.
If you have just recently adopted him then he could be stressed and need time to settle in.
If he is not getting enough exercise he can become frustrated thus the panting and pacing.
Lastly I would bring him to your vet and have him checked out. Without doing a blood test it is impossible to know if he is hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. Panting is sometimes a sign that a dog is uncomfortable or in pain.
If you are serious about re-homing him I would suggest you contact a local rescue group. In Quebec you can visit the www.goldenrescuequebec.com web site for contact information. If you can't find a rescue group in your area let us know here and we will try to help you.

Good Luck

Mackinzie
August 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi, thanks for your help!
He was adopted, 2 years ago. We got him from a woman who "was going to be working more & couldn't keep him". Needless to say, I'm suspicious that his dog-aggression was her reason!
I did talk with my vet about this and his response was that some dogs just have more energy than others.
He doesn't get much exercise, I admit. He's outside a lot, in our yard, but he doesn't run much. He always HAS to be on a leash to walk or run, so it's when I can. It's kind of sad, really, that he doesn't ever play or run free.
He was neutered as a puppy. And, the owner told me he went to school. He is very obedient - will sit, stay, come, etc. Not Lie Down, though!
Thank you again for your help.

crazydays
August 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hi again McKinzie-
I think you have to make more of a commitment to exercise. Your dog needs a minimum of at least 1 hour action-running, playing or even on leash per day. My understanding is that when any dog doesn't get proper exercise a whole wealth of bad behaviours occur. Is there a reason for not getting him out? You mentioned you were suspicious he had aggression issues- what kind of behaviours tell you this? It is very possible this all relates back to exercise. You asked if anyone wants to adopt him. Was this for real or did you mean just to show your level of frustration?

Mackinzie
August 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Mac is dog-aggressive, so we have to keep him in our fenced yard (1/2 acre), or on a leash, so he probably doesn't get enough exercise. I walk him when I can, but not every day. And he cannot run free. Ever. Because he's a threat. We got another dog -- who suffered through many attacks from him before they "worked out" his issues with her-- and she will play with other dogs, but not Mac. He's all business. Doesn't let down and play. Won't chase a ball. Yes, a Golden Retreiver! He will attack puppies on leashes that walk past our house. I'm just trying to figure out if someone may have an idea whether this could be a health issue that's treatable, otherwise we may have to put him down.

coppperbelle
August 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Have you had his thyroid checked? One of my goldens is aggressive towards otehr dogs and was to people as well. She is hypothyroid and along with medication and obedience training she is a different dog. Please don't put him down because he is dog aggressive. I know it is difficult and sometimes stressful but there are solutions. You don't mention where you are located but there are Golden rescue groups that may be able to help. They can help with referring you to a trainer or a behaviorist or may be able to take your dog and re-home it. In Quebec you can contact www.goldenrescuequebec.com

crazydays
August 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hi MacKinzie.
You have chosen very stong words to describe your dog. You believe he is violent and is a threat to other dogs. It would be beneficial if you could describe how your dog reacts when he is a threat to other dogs. Does your vet know about the threat/violent tendency the dog has, or does he think hes just hyper. There is a big difference between the two.

Jim Hall
August 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM
labs are smart dogs they need lots of stimulation and lots of exercise

remeber they had been greed to run around a woods all day long and retrieve birds