- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Dog has been to VET, still has Issues, back legs giving out, etc.

August 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I have a Chi/Mix. She is 6 years old, spayed. Recently she has had twitching on her back legs/hip area when she sleeps. 3 Weeks ago she started yipping for nothing and became very scared, thinking we had done something to her. She was limping, and sometimes back legs just would give out. Took to Vet, said she had a blown knee, needed surgery, but to wait. Gave med of Deramaxx oneX a day, which is an Arthritus med. Nothing happened, pain worsened, started having seizures; took back to Vet, said she had epilepcy, did blood work to confirm organs were fine. Blood work came back fine. Put on Phenobarbital (sorry for any mispellings) started her on that, took off of Deramaxx, lost total control of bowel's and bladder, did it anywhere anytime, in her sleep if she slept. Doc said to leave her on it, that it would work out in about 5 days. Dog didn't sleep, all she did was whine and pace. She did not sleep, at least I couldn't tell that she was. I took her off of the meds completely....for a week, she was normal other than some limping with her obvious knee problem. Back to her old self. Then the other day she started the yipping again, and now she does nothing but pace and cry, doesn't sleep at all. Nothing works, and no seizures either. The vet has cost me quite a bit of money so far with both resulting in false diagnosis. Can anyone tell me what to look for or what to mention to the vet when I return her?
I have given her a small sliver of Advil, which helped, she became herself, but Advil causes problems with dogs, so don't want to give it to her. She has muscle spasms in her back legs/hips, her back legs/hips go right out from under her, she is constantly pacing mostly in circles. I just don't know what to do, and none of us can sleep, because she isn't sleeping....
Please Help!
Thanks to anyone! Joy

August 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I think you should ask your Vet to refer you to a neurologist ASAP.

August 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Did your vet not mention anything about a pattella luxation?

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

August 26th, 2007, 04:18 PM
yes if your vet seems unsure what's wrong and doesn't refer you to a specialist or another vet I would go for another opinion somewhere else just in case!
:fingerscr it's nothing too serious

August 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Did your vet not do a basic X-Ray of back and legs - and I am emphasizing back here. Blown knee or patellar luxation, certainly, but could also be a serious issue with a disc in your dog's back - many of the symptoms you have described would fit with this. A visit to a neuro surgeon would be required a.s.a.p. I would not wait, particularly if there is a problem with a back disc.

August 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
DONT GIVE ADVIL TO YOUR DOG!!! you can give ascription but you dose by weight. also like the last post did you have x-rays taken? amber

August 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Well we have an appoint with a specialist today. I went back to the vet yesterday and actually charged at them with false diagnosis; The vet this time stated that she didn't present herself with the issues she was having now, yet I told them she did. Guess our perspective doesn't matter, same as with human doctors.
She has put her on Pepcid in case the advil slivers I have given her has caused issues with the stomach. I didn't give her the advil every day, and usually when I did, it was once a day. The thing that stands out about the advil is that it actually works, and works good. They gave us 25 mg of Tramodol twice a day, and that is not doing anything for her at all. She moves, she yipps in pain. I am so hoping it isn't something as serious as a tumor. My husband and I both are very troubled as to how we are going to pay for this, but she is our family and we have to figure something out.

I will let everyone know what happens at the specialist today and thanks very much for all the suggestions and kind words.

August 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Sorry, I also forgot to mention, that NO, not one of the vet visits would do an X-Ray, except yesterday, but she stated that it may not show anything and she would rather her go to the specialist with the CT Scan and MRI capabilities. I chose to go that route instead of having them do it, and then have to have them done again.

August 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: with you appt. today. What kind of specialist are you seeing?

September 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Well, it has been exactly a week from picking up Tinker from the Referral Critical Care clinic. Doc decided it was bulging or ruptured disc's and wanted to try the Prednisone route and confinement first.
It saved us thousands of dollars that we were willing to spend. She is doing extremely well, and I threaten her to take her off med's and make her hurt again if she doesn't stop trying to jump or go up and down steps. She is back to her old self again and we are loving every minute of this nuerotic dogs self!
Thanks for all the advice, as we know this isn't over, as with an adult with the problem, surgery is inevitable, but this gives her time to be her, and we will deal with surgery in a year or two!:thumbs up

September 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM
That is good news that you found the problem!

Take care and keep in touch.

September 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
You are really going to have to watch your pup. I am concerned though that she keeps trying to go up and down the steps - frankly (since I have been in your situation a few times) she should be in a crate, keeping still, so that access to stairs is not possible. I know how hard it is but worth it in the long run and it sure doesn't take much for a relapse. I wish your regular vet had done the general X-Ray the first time you took her in. Mine would have - if nothing else it shows a problem with the back/neck discs and the decision can be made right then to refer to a neuro - and your vet would make the specialiast appointment for you. The neuro would then do the MRI etc. In some cases, immediate surgery is necessary so time is of the essence. Be very certain that your pup does not jump up on the furniture, bed etc. Ramps are readily available these days at pet stores and if you are handy you could probably fashion one yourself. Always be on the lookout for any sign of a dragging leg - and then to the tripping the foot test to see if pup rebalances on her own. Any sign of a problem, please get to vet very fast.

September 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Hmm, that sounds like invertebral disk disease, which my girl has. There's a good post on it here:

My Vet does not like prednisone for dogs. My girl was on Dexamethasone (dextabs) for two years but has now been switched to depo-methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol). I have a post on it too, think it is not the best thing for a dog as young as yours though. Ask your Vet about it.

Under no circumstances should you stop giving your dog the prednisone, cold turkey. She must be weaned off it slowly. I think you were joking but just in case, don't take her off it without consulting the Vet.

My girl has been dealing with this for two years now so if you want to PM me I'll tell you anything I can that might help. YOur girl is much, much younger than mine but other than that their conditions sound similar.