Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Noid's in the Hospital

Crestedcrazy
August 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM
My poor baby boy has been having a rough go of it this year first back in January we almost lost him due to that tainted food and now he is in with Cystinuria.:sick:

He went in today because of not being able to pee, it was just dribbling and he was having to go frequently but just not getting it out. We knew it was some kind of blockage and that of course is not good!

This is a genetic disorder, more common in Mastiff's and Scottish deerhounds and many other breeds not usually In cresties though!

He will have to go on a presription diet and this will now be something we have to watch for forever and be careful of but it is managable!

I know it's best for him to be overnight at the Vet hospital but I have never had him away from me before and am feeling a little lost! :sad:
I do get to pick him up in the morning and will get more info then as well but just hoping for some good vibes to be sent my lil mans way in the meantime!

Thanks for listening and if anyone has any info they could share about this please do as I want to do everything that I possibly can to get my guy better and keep him that way!

Thanks!
~Sheri~

jiorji
August 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM
oh geez i'm really sorry to hear this :sad: get well soon Noid we miss you little one :angel: :goodvibes: :cloud9: :pawprint:

Shaykeija
August 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
:sorry: your baby is sick. I get a real kick out of his pictures. He is a cutie..

((((:lovestruck: )))) good vibes sent directlry to Noid. Get well soon you little love bug.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Noid, big fella, get well soon! :grouphug: The Hazel Run Pack has 32 :pawprint:s crossed sending you good wishes for a quick recovery! :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Get well soon Noid :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Awww, poor Noid. :sad: Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

chico2
August 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
:pray: For sweet,funny looking Noid:dog:

Tommysmom
August 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Poor Noid... get well soon! I hope you get to pick him up really soon, I know how hard it is to be without the little guys... we're all thinking of you:grouphug: .

Lukka'sma
August 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Oh Noidy my little fella, I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well. My heart goes out to you Sheri as I know you must be so worried about Noid. Please know that both Lukka and I are thinking of you and Noid and want nothing more than to hear that Noid is well. Lots of well wishes, hugs and good vibes being sent to Noid. Please let us know how he did last night when you return home with him. Get well soon my Noidy.

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Poor little Noid :sad: get well soon little doggy :goodvibes: Sheri , you need one of those : :grouphug:

mummummum
August 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Noid you poor little guy, you really are having a rough go of it ! Sheri ~ try not to worry yourself too much :goodvibes: Is this condition a fallout of the tainted food or is this completely separate? :grouphug:

JanM
August 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Aww, little Noid - :pray: for you and your mom! Get well soon..

wdawson
August 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
ah poor little guy.....get well soon......this is manageable our cat had crystal and is on a special food. :fingerscr for a speedy recovery.

LynLyn
August 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM
oh no poor Noid!! sending warm fuzzies, and Bowser kisses your way!

Crestedcrazy
August 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Noid is back home and very very happy to be here too I might add!

He is fine, they cleared the blockage and it is Cystinuria which is very rare in dogs but apprently even rarer in this breed as it's not even on the list.
I always knew my little boy was special :rolleyes:

I have been researching food as he has to be on an Ultra low protien diet and after looking and talking to the vet today reallistically it will be Hill's Science diet prescription U/D only available at the vets.
Hope he likes it otherwise the only other alternative is a medication that the Vet doesn't know if she can get it here in Canada yet, she's looking into that or even how much the meds will be!
Which even with the diet he may or may not need the meds we'll have to see how it goes!

He is swollen a bit but able to pee, he is on metacam and Apo-amoxi-clav susp for a while in case of an infection because of the flushing, they had to go back and forth a few times to get all the grainy bits and the stones.

Poor guy is sore but he is resting now in his crate, probably didn't sleep very well last night as he has never been away from us before!

The vet commented that he's a spoilt one isn't he and I replied Yes, yes he is

woo hoo she gave us a leash that he was wearing she brought him out to us from the back. Guess she felt it helped take the sting out of the vet bill which was considerably more than we expected
however as the old Mastercard saying goes having a healthy happy Noid back is priceless

So Thanks for all the well wishes for the little man we will stay on top of this and he should live a long and healthy life.

Noid sends everyone big sloppy kisses xoxox

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
:highfive: good job Noid get well soon - no more cystinuria now ya hear!

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug: :goodvibes:

Crestedcrazy
August 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Oh and sorry forgot to add that this is not any fallout from when he was sick from the tainted food it's a genetic disorder so it's something he has and always will have:shrug: what do ya do tho he's my baby and will get whatever it is he happens to need!
:fingerscr the food does the trick and keeps it under control!

chico2
August 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM
That's great,I bet he's happy to be home,the Crested look like such delicate little guys,hope he will be ok from now on:pray:

Lukka'sma
August 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Noid is home and feeling better
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gifhttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gif

Crestedcrazy
August 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
That's great,I bet he's happy to be home,the Crested look like such delicate little guys,hope he will be ok from now on:pray:

me too:fingerscr

actually cresteds are pretty tough little guys I think they just seem delicate because they have the sighthound body style on top of being just little things and Noid is small even for his breed, not much but smaller!

Frenchy
August 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Hurray for Noid ! :thumbs up I'm glad he's feeling better. I hope he likes his new food ! :fingerscr

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM
WOO HOO for Noid. :highfive: Glad he's recovered and hope the food/meds keep him blockage free. :fingerscr

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear he is home!!!

JanM
August 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Good news about Noid is nice to hear. I'm glad he's home where he will be soooo much more comfortable and loved too!

cpietra16
August 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
great news, welcome back Noid:)

wdawson
August 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM
great news :thumbs up ....my cat is on the cd formula.....he is doing great,not sure if its due to the food though.....i'm just scared to change him to another.....noid will do good i'm sure:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Whew! Glad to hear that Noid is doing better! :thumbs up Keep it up, little guy! :fingerscr

punkyamberlea
August 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Hope your little one gets better SOON. Just alittle side note make sure once he goes on the u/d you ONLY give him that. NO TREATS, you may have to make your own treats from the can u/d. sorry just dont want your little one to get a problem again. amber

Crestedcrazy
August 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks Amber I had a long discussion with our vet this morning and she did explain the extreme importance of sticking to his diet to a tee
unfortunate for him in some ways but we do what we have to as his long life is much more important than a treat!

A lady I know makes her own treats from her canned dog food just one can dog food and 3 cups oats flour and a bit or water to bind then cut out and bake for 20 mins at 350f
so I'm going to try those for him.

I'm sure he won't like them the same as his chicken jerky but what do ya do :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2007, 12:22 AM
What about Niya? Are they genetically related (you said it was genetic so?)? Is there a way she can be tested for this as well - I know females have lower chance for having crystals or complication from crystals but it is possible. Plus they will have to be fed separately so he doesn't sneak what she has unless they are both on the same food. :)

Shaykeija
August 27th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Hi Noid
I bet you will like Hill's Science diet prescription U/D. You see Miss Tyra and myself have been on it for a while. Mom puts water in it an mushes it up, so we get extra water. As for treats, mom uses just the dry kibble. Hey tastes great. I hope you are feeling better soon.

HRH Missie the Poo :dog:

Crestedcrazy
August 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
What about Niya? Are they genetically related (you said it was genetic so?)? Is there a way she can be tested for this as well - I know females have lower chance for having crystals or complication from crystals but it is possible. Plus they will have to be fed separately so he doesn't sneak what she has unless they are both on the same food. :)

Noid & Niya are not related at all, we got Noid from Vancouver BC and Niya is from a breeder in Iowa however there is a test and I checked into it and it's actually rather reasonable so I am going to test Niya anyways.

Just not quite yet I still need to recover from the vet bill we just got :eek:

Shaykeija that is a good idea about using the kibble for a treat but it won't work very well for Noid as he can't eat kibble he has only his well most of his front teeth. This breed in the hairless variety have a tendency to be missing teeth, some more than other and some not at all but unfortunately my little mutant boy is one of the unluckier ones!

clm
August 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Noid & Niya are not related at all, we got Noid from Vancouver BC and Niya is from a breeder in Iowa however there is a test and I checked into it and it's actually rather reasonable so I am going to test Niya anyways.I would get the test done, there may be some common ancestor in their background regardless of where the breeders are located.

Just not quite yet I still need to recover from the vet bill we just got :eek:
Even when you expect it to be bad, it's really quite a shock isn't it. Hopefully it won't look so bad in a few days :laughing:

Shaykeija that is a good idea about using the kibble for a treat but it won't work very well for Noid as he can't eat kibble he has only his well most of his front teeth. This breed in the hairless variety have a tendency to be missing teeth, some more than other and some not at all but unfortunately my little mutant boy is one of the unluckier ones!I have a cousin with a cat and a few friends who've had poms with few or no teeth and they could eat kibble. The cat actually insisted on it, teeth or no teeth.

I hope poor Noid is much better soon.

Cindy