Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Boxer went away with another family

Sato
August 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hello everybody!

Due to lack of room in new appt we've decided to look for a new family. He is a 5 yrs Boxer. Could you help us to understand what shall he feel and how to improve the process to help him in preventing anxious conditions, if any?

His new family loves Boxers and we know he will receive much love and good care. But, could he suffer due to this "divorce" from us. What do we have to do to help him when we say say goodby and what to do his new family to facilitate his adaptation

Thank you all of you
Henri & Jean
:candle:

russte
August 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know your circumstances but I don't think I could give my dog away because I didn't have room....:sad: Sorry you had to make that choice..russte

mummummum
August 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
When I brought my dogs into my life, I became their guardian for the duration of their lives. Dogs are not disposable ~ period, the end. Were I to simply give them away as you have done ~ because it's inconvenient ~ I'm quite certain they would be terribly confused, deeply depressed and feel entirely abandoned.

mafiaprincess
August 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
If you are willing to adapt your life.. Indoor space really is irrelevant. As long as you still do stuff with the dog things should be fine. And at 5 years old the dog should be decently calm indoors as long as it is still getting exercise..

My roomie discarded her dog. I took her home. In 2 years she's never called once to see how she is doing.. Cider moped for a while but go over it. Not sure after 5 years your dog will 'get over it' very quickly.

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Please do not get another pet until you are ready to look after it for its lifetime. :pawprint:

Longblades
August 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
You are so lucky to have found a good home for your dog. I have never gone through this but do have some ideas. I suggest you allow your dog to have a complete break from you. By all means contact the new owners to check on how he is doing but do not see or speak to the dog. Yes, he probably will miss you but if you continually reappear in his life he won't have an opportunity to get over you. I think "cold turkey" for him is best.

I say this because of the wonderful boarding kennel we use for our pets. Newcomers are sometimes dismayed by how the owners are rushed out but it is a fact that prolonged goodbyes distress the pets more than a quick leave taking.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Boxers, as long as they are not barkers, should have zero problems as apartment dogs. They do not care how big their house is since they just want to be in the same room as you.

want4rain
August 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
hi Henry & Jean,

sorry you had to make that decision, im sure it was a hard one or you wouldnt be on the net looking for advice on how to make his transition easier. i wish i had advice for you but i dont. im glad you found him a new home instead of putting him to sleep(as some people would have).

i feel Longblades has very good advice. its hard for YOU to just cut ties but in the long run its easier on your pooch. i would imagine if the new family could keep the same routine as you have now to change slowly over time would also help. take whatever bedding he has, any of his things... and again, change those over time if they wish.

im sorry you had to make this decision. its never an easy one.

-ashley

clm
August 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'm glad you found another family for your 5 year old boxer, but I can't tell you how much the reason you are parting with the dog bothers me. It's a weak excuse at best.
I hope your boxer has found a forever home with this new family and that he adjusts well to his new home.

Cindy

Jim Hall
August 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well I wish you luck I know the situation your in.. when we had to move due to cicumstances we couldnt controll to a city apt, my dad decided to let our boxer go to a new home where she could still be outside and active
It broke my dads heart but he had lily's best interets at heart

A boxer in a city apt would be miserable at least lily would have been
Best of luck for your boxer and you >