Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stessed - Sick Dog was put down :(

Tazette
August 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry.....this'll be a long one, I need to vent :cry:

My mom called me at work crying yesterday, her dog (collie, shepherd mix, 13 years old) was in the middle of having a seizure, I left work instantly and was at her house within 5 mins. At that time Bandit seemed fine but was a bit wobbly on his back legs due to the seizure. My husband came over shortly after and we loaded Bandit into the truck and brought him to the vet. At the vet clinic, they did a blood test and checked him over and said there was an obvious lump in his stomach area. We weren't prepared to do anything at that time so we got medication for the siezures and took Bandit home. I left my mom and dad's place and went home only to get called at 6pm; Bandit was having another siezure, my mother was a complete wreck, Bandit was pacing and didn't want to be left alone. We took him to the vet again, they had the results from the blood test and told us his liver levels were 10x higher than normal, they took him in for an x-ray to see if they could see the tumor that they said they could feel...I don't even know what the vet said about the tumor when he came out, as we were in shock knowing that, that was it for Bandit. The vet told us they could observe him over night and give him something for the seizure's but couldn't guarantee they'd stop.

We knew something was up with Bandit quite a while ago, as his breath started to really smell and nothing had changed in his diet, when I researched on the internet, it mentiond liver problems, but I didn't read too much into it because I find alot is exaggerated on the internet sometimes (and I didn't want to believe it may be Bandit's last year with us). Bandit stopped playing with toys a few days ago and never wanted to be alone, if my mom would go outside, he'd pushe the door open and follow her, if she went in he'd follow.

Anyhow, my mom asked if it was best that Bandit was put down and the vet didn't say yes or no, but that if it was his dog he would. My mom was so upset, the vet couldn't even look at her. She decided to have Bandit put down as it was obvious he was pretty truamatized by the first siezure. We both went into the room, I had my head down and couldn't believe I was witnessing this (I had never before) and just before he was giving Bandit the needle, I wanted to scream "NO", but understand it's not my decision, we talked to Bandit the whole time, told him we loved him, he was the best dog ever and was never alone. The only thing I was happy about was that it was peacful and looked as though he was sleeping. The vet and vet tech left the room and we had a few last moments with Bandit. My mom told the vet tech she wanted him Cremated, so they told her they wouldn't bother her now with details, but would call her to pick out a vase/box when the time came. When we left the building she wanted to look at the adoptable pets, but says she never wants a dog again, as this was like losing a child.

I feel so sad for my mom, I called her this morning I could hear how upset she still was. I was a bit miffed as she's moved Bandit's kennel and pillow into the unused greenhouse, she asked me if I wanted his food dish for my dog, but I told her I wanted it to put away cause I bought the dish for Bandit and that I wasn't going to use it for my dog. She put his favorite stuffed bear away to keep and put his water dish and dish mat away. I know that's probably her way of healing, but I don't want Bandit forgotten, he was the smartest pooch I knew.

Last night she cleaned all his floating fur up and woke this morning to one right next to the bed...she was very upset.

I know Bandit is in a better place and I know we did the right thing because he started showing symptoms of liver problems at least 6 months ago, but I cant' help but think he could have had a few more days with us if we just left him overnight for observation.

These last 2 days have been pretty hard, we had Bandit in our family for 13 years and adopted him from the SPCA at 1 month (he was let go from his mom toooo early). He was definitley part of the family.

Sorry if some of the text doesn't make sense, I just needed to get this out and make sure we did what was right for Bandit.

:rip: little buddy, we will miss and always remember you, we'll meet again.

badger
August 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I believe you did the right thing for Bandit, as gut-wrenching as it was, he would never have regained the quality of life he once enjoyed, or if it was indeed cancer, not for long. You set him free.
But it is never ever right for us. We just have to live with the grief until finally its grip lessens a bit and is replaced by happy memories.
So sorry. :rip: Bandit.

BusterBoo
August 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
:rip: Sweet Bandit

I am so sorry for your loss, it is never easy to make the decision. Two weeks ago today, I made that decision and sent my Harley Dude to the Bridge. I still question whether the timing was right, but Harley had started seizures and went blind.... he would have been 5 yrs old on September 7th. The Vet's best guess was a brain tumor, I chose to send my poor baby's suffering.

There is nothing anyone can say that will ease your Mom's (and your) pain and feeling of loss. You had 13 wonderful years with Bandit, he was and always will be a part of your family.

Take care

glitterless
August 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to both you and your mom. Bandit sounded like a wonderful dog. You guys definitely did the right thing for him.

Give your mom time. My grandmother was the same when my grandfather died. She bought new furniture, renovated -- the works. I guess some people think that erasing all of the reminders is the easiest way to move on. I'm sure that in time, your mom will be able to remember all of the good times that she shared with Bandit. The memories are what matter most.

Jim Hall
August 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have done the same thing as your mom, I still have memories and pictures but I dont wantet to be constanly reminded of my loss like that righ then..
I would still think about stoner or sherbert or gimpy, But I didnt need the to what was to me only physical stuff.:candle:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry for your and your Mom's loss, Tazette. :grouphug: It's never an easy decision to make, but second-guessing the decision will only make you crazy. Would making Bandit linger another couple of days when he was sick have been good for Bandit? You did the right thing.

What's more--you did it in the right way--Bandit knew you loved him right to the end, and that's the best gift you can give. He'll wait for you at the bridge and the bond of that love will draw you together again. Meanwhile, the sad memories will slowly fade and the happy ones will make you smile again. :grouphug:

Give your mom some time--remember that everyone grieves in different ways.

Bandit was a very lucky dog to have found his way to your family.

:candle: Bandit

Lukka'sma
August 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
So sorry about Bandit. May he rest in peace

clm
August 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I believe you did the right thing. He would have got much worse very quickly if the tumor was that large. He sounds like he was a wonderful dog and he was a lucky to have you and your mom as you were to have him. Give yourselves some time to grieve in your own ways. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cindy

Frenchy
August 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You have to believe that it was Bandit time to leave your family. Waiting a couple of days would have prolong his suffering , your mom made the right decision. As for your mom putting his things away , we all have different ways to deal with this. I know it took me a long time to take away Daisy's dish. But you will always have the memories. :grouphug:

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I am very sorry to hear about Bandit. :sad: :grouphug: Like the others said though, you and your mom made the right decision to end his suffering. My deepest condolences to you both. :grouphug: :candle:

shredy
August 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I know the pain you and your mom are both feeling. Remember that everyone grieves in different ways and give yourself time. We just lost our sweet girl last week and had decided to put her down only to have her pass in her sleep two night before. It was a hard decision for us and I wrestled with it, but I do believe it is the last gift we can give our furry children. They do not understand why they have pain, or that it will or won't stop or how they can make it better. The people on the forum have been so helpful during my time of grief and I hope you will find the same support here :grouphug: :grouphug:

Bandit will live forever in your memories:pawprint:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom did the best thing for Bandit and now she is dealing with the grief of the loss of a loved one. Please be there to support her, you need each other right now.
:rip: Bandit.

:grouphug: to you and your family

Tazette
August 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate it. It's only been a few days and it's still very hard, even though I have my own fuzzy boy now, it's hard to believe Bandit is gone. I brought him to my mom as a 1 month old 13 years ago. My mom is still extremly upset, she made stew for supper yesterday and had a bowl aside for Bandit until she realized he was gone. :cry: It's so sad, but reality. The vet should be calling this with with regards to Bandit's ashes, I told her if we were able to put his ashes in 2 urns, I'd like to keep one as well. Everytime I talk about him, read your wonderful posts, etc....I get upset. My husband keeps telling me it just goes to show how much Bandit meant to all of us and how well he was treated.

Poor little guy :rip: I can't (and don't want to) get the image of him when we left the vet clinic on Friday. I'll miss him SOOOOOOOOO much.

kashtin's kin
August 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Tazette, all us critter people grieve with you and your mom (and family) over your loss of Bandit; you can tell how we BB folks care, and that we know how you feel...as much as that is possible. Most of us have and will again, face what you have.

As most everyone above wrote, it did indeed sound like it was Bandit's time, and you folks gave him the last and hardest-for people-gift...you let him go before he could really suffer, having given him a great life.

When your pain isn't quite so fresh, you WILL be ready to appreciate the good memories you must have-to look at pictures, to talk about Bandit. The first dog I had to say good-bye to as an adult was so difficult; I truly felt my heart had broken, and it took a while to get my balance back.

I had the same reaction as your mom, in that I put most of my dog's belongings away. I didn't put her out of my heart and mind, but the objects were too hard to look at. Other people do want everything left as it is...and both reactions are very normal and right for the individual.

One vet/friend once told me that our animals are perhaps more fortunate than we humans, as it is considered more acceptable to 'let them go'. At the same time each animal's passing puts another crack in one corner of my heart, I feel another corner open up a space where that animal will always live on.

Again, so sorry to hear your story-my keyboard got a few tears on it-but endure the first hurt as best you can (posting here was a good thing), and time truly will heal.

crazyk1020
August 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I am so sorry about Bandit :grouphug: I believe you did the right thing, by setting him free from his pain and suffering :angel: :candle:

Tazette
August 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yesterday went ok, I thought about Bandit frequently whenever I had quite times to myself, but didn't get upset. I know it's only been a few days, but I'm slowly forgetting about how he looked at the vet minutes before he peacefully went to sleep and remember all the cute quirky things about him. In about a week and a half we should have his ashes, my mother will have most of them in an urn and I will keep a small amount as well.

After all of this happened, Sprocket got sick Sunday morning, he vomitted after his breakfast, lunch and 2ce after supper (at this point we had fed him rice and ground beef). In the middle of the night we woke up from a loud noise outside, as I was stepping onto the floor, my husband told me to watch my step as Sprocket got sick in the night. I took Sprocket outside for some air and my husband cleaned up. Once inside, we "attempted" to go to sleep but Sprocket vomitted again, by the sounds of it (and a dog being a dog) ate some and instantly got sick again, this happened about 4 times. We cleaned up again and he seemed fine after that. We didn't feed him breakfast or lunch that day and got him into the vet at 230. The vet asked us if we were missing clothing or any other objects. I couldn't think of anything he'd get into because we're always with him, as we don't have a fenced in yard. I guess he got a virus of some sort. We got pills and were on our way, we were to feed him this morning for the first time, but I fed him boiled rice and boiled ground beef that night; it was too hard to not feed him. After that meal he seemed fine, he also seemed fine after breakfast htis morning, here's hoping he's still fine when I get home in the next 1/2 hr for lunch.

Anyhow, I don't want to go off topic from sweet little Bandit. I when we got to the vet with Sprocket, they had a big dog on a stretcher and just put it down, it was old and couldn't walk...I finally broke down thinking of Bandit and told my husband this was too many visits to the vet in too short of a time.

*sigh* what can you do but deal with what life throws out at you, go with the flow I guess.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Oh man, you are having a bad streak. Did the vet do any bloodwork to confirm his suspicions of a virus?

Its OK to cry, does a body good to relieve the sadness.:grouphug:

Tazette
August 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah it kinda sucks at the moment, but things are getting better day by day. She didn't do any blood tests at all, she felt around, checked his temperature and grilled us an aweful lot on things he could have potentially ate without us knowing. She asked alot of question on how often he got sick, what came up, asked if he was having normal bowel movements and what it looked like. I just came back to work from lunch and he seemed fine, he didn't vomit again and was alot more interested in his food at lunch. When we went out for a walk he was jumping all around, playing like he normally does and attempted to "herd" me when I walked up the stairs. Looks as though he's back to normal.