Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat suddenly growling?

Brat
August 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I have 3 cats. They are all brothers but from different litters. My eldest boy is 2 years old this month. His two younger brothers were born 4 months later. They have all been best friends for a year and a half.

From literally one day to the next, this has all changed and I have no idea why.

I woke up yesterday morning to the oldest hissing and growling at the two younger ones. He has not stopped since. They cant go near him. He's still very affectionate with us and he is still fine with my dog but his brothers are a no-no. I don't get it. They were BEST FRIENDS.. sleeping together, cleaning, eating together. All night I was awake listening to him growl at them. I walked into the kitchen to see one of the little ones trying to get to the food bowl and the older one growling at him.

My two littles ones are SUPER confused too. I'm sure in some "cat" way they are wondering what happened to their older brother.

The only thing I can think happened is this... At night I usually leave the front patio door opened a bit to let the cats come in and out. We're on the second floor and the doors lead to a balcony where they usually just chill all night long. I made sure it was opened a tad Thursday night and I went to bed. Friday morning I woke up and the inner door was shut. I couldn't understand why. I asked my boyfriend if he had shut it before he went to bed, he said no. It was also weird that only one door was shut and not both the inner and outer. This is all still a mystery to us. We have no idea how the door got closed but when I looked out on the balcony one of my little guys was there. I opened the door, he came in, said hello and rubbed up against me. He looked fine.. But that's when I saw the older one starting to growl. Oddly enough though, he was growling at the other cat who was NOT stuck outside. There was a huge thunderstorm during the night as well. Could this have affected him?

I'm really confused.. :confused: and my heart is breaking for the little guys who have no idea what's going on. :shrug: He doesn't look sick.. He's eating, still super affectionate with us humans, but he just HATES his little brothers now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

badger
August 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'm drawing a blank on this. Maybe the thunderstorm was more traumatic than you think. Could you have had an intruder :eek: ?
I think it's reasonable to take a wait-and-see approach, as long as Mr. Crabby is still eating and drinking. You could pick up some Rescue Remedy (Loblaws has it, some pharmacies, all health food stores) and give him 10-15 drops directly into his mouth every few hours. It works amazingly well for some cats.
But if the crankiness continues for more than a couple of days (ie the weekend), I'd take him to the vet. Animals show their pain and discomfort in so many different ways and aggression is certainly one. The fact that he is still affectionate with you is possibly irrelevant, although he is more dependent on you than on them, in fact he is fully dependent on you.
I'm assuming they're all neutered (three intact males in an apartment, naaaah!).

Brat
August 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah the thunderstorm was rough. I remember it waking me up in the middle of the night. It's weird though cause he's never had problems with thunderstorms before. Why all of a sudden would he start showing agression towards just his brothers. Not the dog, not us...it's soooo weird! hehe

We've been thinking about the whole intruder thing.. IMAGINE?! Doors were locked though and why would someone come into my apartment and just shut one of my patio doors hehe.. it's all very strange!

I will definitely bring him to the vet if this hasn't changed in a few days.

What is "Rescue Remedy"? I've never heard of that. And yes, they are all neutered :D

I'm drawing a blank on this. Maybe the thunderstorm was more traumatic than you think. Could you have had an intruder :eek: ?
I think it's reasonable to take a wait-and-see approach, as long as Mr. Crabby is still eating and drinking. You could pick up some Rescue Remedy (Loblaws has it, some pharmacies, all health food stores) and give him 10-15 drops directly into his mouth every few hours. It works amazingly well for some cats.
But if the crankiness continues for more than a couple of days (ie the weekend), I'd take him to the vet. Animals show their pain and discomfort in so many different ways and aggression is certainly one. The fact that he is still affectionate with you is possibly irrelevant, although he is more dependent on you than on them, in fact he is fully dependent on you.
I'm assuming they're all neutered (three intact males in an apartment, naaaah!).

badger
August 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM
RR is a herbal calmant. Very safe, good for emergencies, made for humans (I sometimes forget).

Dracko
August 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
It's a Bach Flower Remedy. They are all single remedies except Rescue Remedy, which is a combination of 4 or 5 of them. Can't remember right now and I have 2 cats on me and I can't get up. :loser:

ancientgirl
August 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
My two aren't related,but I remember recently I had to board them overnight, just while I moved. They were in separate cages overnight and part of the next day, and I bought them home in separate carriers. Oksana wouldn't let Vlad near her for several hours. She'd hiss at him every time he went near her. They'd also had a bath at the vet's too.

Maybe your guys were separated and big brother for some reason doesn't realize who they are.

Sorry, I'm grasping at straws. That's the only thing I can think of though.

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe he got upset with a strange cat outside and just takes his insecurities out on his brothers:confused:

Brat
August 26th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Well, the guy who is aggressive is not the one who was stuck outside.. It was one of his younger brothers and I'm on the second floor balcony so he wouldn't encounter any other cats.

Just a little (happy) update though! Everything is back to normal. Came home last night to them playing like they used to.

Not sure what happened to set him off but I'm glad it's over :)

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Love4himies
August 26th, 2007, 08:40 PM
It could have been a smell difference from the one that was outside. Very strange indeed, or something between the two younger brothers and the older one happened during the night to stress the older one out.

Good news that all is well now.