Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you help?

tamiedu
August 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I have a 1 year old small dog. she is showing signs of pregnancy. I have notified the vet and they can't get her in for another 2 weeks, so I am now asking for your advice. The tissue has formed and the milk is coming in, but how long until she will give birth? thank you for your advice tami

erykah1310
August 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
1 year old :eek:
I would find another vet ASAP.
by tissue.... what do you mean???
When do you think she was bred?
and what size of dog mated with her?
The last question is VERY important for such a young girl.
I would be calling around right now to other vets, she may need a c-section depending on her size and the size of the pups.

tamiedu
August 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Thunder is a 1 yr old pit & rot, she was given to me by a co worker that drove truck and was going out of state. she is not very big I would say no bigger than a poodle. She was in heat from july 1st-12th. We had just moved to our new house and the dogs weren't seperated enough which was wrong on my part, but a miniture lab mated with her. I am not sure what day it was, because they didn't do it while we all were around. I also have 7 kids, and we all took turns trying to keep our eye out. she is now quite larger in the rib and belly area. tissue is forming under her nipples making them very large and there is milk forming making her sag almost to the ground. i have contacted the vets, one can't get her in for 2 weeks and the other doesn't take weekend calls.:sad:

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
The canine gestation period is 60-64 days. She does need to be checked by a vet asap. I would call the other one on Monday and get her in right away. Does she still have her appetite? Do you have a whelping box for her yet? And what is a "miniature" lab?

erykah1310
August 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ihope she doesnt go into labour this weekend, for her sake.
Try to get her in to a vet as soon as you can.
Its far better to have a vet who is aware of the situation in the horrible event something goes wrong. Honestly though if she was in heat around the 12th im not sure how long that gives her, probably to the middle (latest) of next month.
Be sure to ask your vet about good prenatal precautions and care for her until the pups arive. And do please talk to your vet and find out when the best time for a spay would be afterwards.
Try to keep us posted on how things go.
Pregnancy threads honestly dont last too long around here as this is a very pro spay/neuter board.