Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you think is best to feed your dog?

LOVELITTLEDOGS
August 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I recently started feeding a small chihuahua canned chicken, cooked lean ground beef and scrambled eggs to keep her eating. I have been struggling with her liver condition for some months now. She weighs about 3 lb 4 oz but she use to only weigh 3 lb 8 oz and she is 4 + years now. I was tricking her into eating 1 SAMe pill a day but it was hard. I wasn't suppose to break them up but I had to resort to that till she got wise to that also. She can sense them stuffed in her food and she screams like she is doing to die if I try to put it in her mouth. I gave up trying. The last two days, today 8/24/07, gave her a couple drops of milk thistle (for dogs) in her food and again at night in her food. I don't know if this is going to help her. She does better when she eats the food I prepare as described. She eats real well. She has been diognosed as having liver disease. She had a simple blood test. She wasn't eating at all until I gave her this cooked food. Hear health is much better. She is still skittish, things spook her easily, she will scream and usually urinate and sometimes poop also when she does this. She doesn't act natural though she still has quality of life. Any suggestions or comfort thoughts? Thank you!

erykah1310
August 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I dont personally have any advice, and I am sorry to hear you are having these problems.
:grouphug:
Milk thistle is a good suppliment to add, and have you considered apple cider vinegar as well??
I dont know much about home cooking, but have you considered raw feeding?

NoahGrey
August 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I would contact your vet. They will probably be able to give you some suggestions.

ACO22

badger
August 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Definitely talk to the vet. What you feed her is crucial.
Also, if she is pooping and peeing involuntarily, could she be having a seizure? or is she just spoiled rotten :) Does she thrash around, bite (without meaning to), etc.? The vet should hear about this too.