Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Really, really strange foot cyst(s).

labgirl
August 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
We got Cruiser the week before last and we knew he had an infected toe right away. When he went to the veterinarian about his allergies the next day they made note of the infection and gave him antibiotics.

Said antibiotics were working, or so we thought. A couple of nights ago the infection just started to look, for lack of a better word... weird. It sort of reminds me of barnacles. Then as my parents were looking over his foot, they noticed that there is another cyst away from what we have since deemed the "mothership", on top of the foot, and there's also another nasty set of cysts, around four (contrasting to the twelve or so that have popped up on the other foot). My mom has read and read and gotten her panties in a twist because now she thinks it's cancerous and every picture she looks at of tumors she thinks is identical to what's on his foot.

Au contraire. We asked someone with an animal sciences degree last night and she hadn't seen anything like it, either. We're taking him to the vet tomorrow and hopefully they'll tell us what exactly this is, but right now I'm so curious I'm fielding suggestions... especially if someone has seen this before.

Please note that although there's no blood, it's sort of gross. So if you're squeamish at the site of abnormal growths, turn back :o

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/224/img0145ci3.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1903/img0147ia1.jpg

Thanks much!
... and I'm sorry I never really properly introduced myself. I guess curiosity seems to be taking priority over etiquette in this case.

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the board, labgirl. :D We don't stand on etiquette here...much. :p

As to the growths... Except that there are so many of them, they look like the histiocytoma we just had removed from one of our dogs' eyelid. But I've never seen them grow in a group like that. If they are histiocytomas, they're almost always benign.

:goodvibes: and :fingerscrs for a good outcome at the vet tomorrow! Please keep us posted!

:o And I don't suppose you have a picture of Cruiser to share that includes more than his foot? :D We like pics around here. :thumbs up

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Anything around the eyes or nose? Wondering if it's one of the pemphigus'.

labgirl
August 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM
He went to the vet this morning. They don't know. He's booked for surgery on Thursday of next week to have it removed for analysis - they doubt that it is cancerous because he's so young - but we won't know for sure until the results come back.

There's none around his eyes or anywhere off his face, although there was one on his side.