Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canidae users please

Mia101
August 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Does your dog have soft stool?

Any good or bad things you have to report after moving to this food?

Thanks!

Frenchy
August 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I feed the lamb and rice and they all have nice poop.

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Does your dog have soft stool?

Any good or bad things you have to report after moving to this food?

Thanks!

What were you feeding previously and how long has your dog been on Canidae?

qhgirl1
August 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM
All good. Her coat became soft and shiny, skin improved, her pads became soft instead of rough, less poops, less frequent ear infections. She's been on it for about 6 months now and is 10.5 years old. Everything was noticeable within the first couple weeks, other than the ear infections.

mika140
August 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Several weeks ago I switched my 9 year old GSD to the Canidae Platinum. She was on science diet before. She's always been very healthy, good coat, etc. So - I haven't actually noticed much difference, but it's still early on. At least I know I'm giving her better quality though. She also loves the taste, especially since I've began adding a little water to the food immediatley before I feed her. Her stool seems to have stayed the same as it was before (solid).....no noticeable difference.

Mia101
August 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Switching from Purina One. I tried to transition too fast. I went straight to 50/50. It's been 10 days, and her poo seems back to normal. It was really soft at first.

Now she doesn't want the mix, only the Canidae. It seems her coat is already softer, but really that can't be in so short a time.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I feed my foster nursing momma feline Felidae Cat and Kitten, which is the feline version of Canidae. She had some diarreha at first, but her stools became formed within a few days. She also had much less output in her litterbox than when she was on Royal Cannin (sp?) and her fur is much softer.

Trying to get my cats to eat it too.

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM
My cat went hungry for days rejecting the Felidae. I backed up to 10% in her Iams to try again.

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Stool is normal, she loves the Canidae (won't eat the old food even mixed) and she's eating literally half of what she did of P1, bringing the food cost down, and I was willing for it to go up for a better food.

rainbow
August 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Glad she loves the Canidae. :thumbs up The reason for the soft poop is because there is a period of adjustment while the body is getting used to a better quality food.

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I'm so excited! I had a feeling that P1 wasn't really good even before researching. But I had decided it was the best I could afford and promised myself not to get too crazy and go to premium foods.

At $6 more for 20 pounds, though, and eating less, food cost actually went down with Canidae!

The first food she chose was Nutro Max, which is pretty good, but not as good as Canidae. She naturally wants healthier foods. Would not touch Pedigree or anything else from the grocery store.

She was fresh from the pound, so I thought that was pretty funny. She knew upon entering here that she could demand better, I guess.:thumbs up

coppperbelle
August 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Mine have been eating Canidae since about January and they love it. I noticed a difference in their fur in a matter of weeks. Prior to that they were eating Natural Balance and before that Solid Gold. I still think the old Solid Gold was the best but they changed the ingredients and I wasn't impressed. I do supplement their diet with cooked meats and sardines.

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I always gave eggs and sardines and tuna, but I am wondering if she should still get eggs when it's in the food now.

Yes, I know, I don't give the tuna too often ;-)

She gets canned dog food OR sardines OR tuna once a week, sometimes twice (it's so expensive! and there's bones to provide too). Eggs I was doing more often.

Frenchy
August 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
(it's so expensive! and there's bones to provide too).

I make them salmon treats , got the recipe here , I buy the canned salmon when on special , 3 big cans for $5 :thumbs up

Salmon : 1 large can (15 1/2 oz) I leave the juice in and add bread crums
1 teaspoon baking powder
3-4 tablespoon flour

bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

Mia101
August 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I forgot about Salmon. It's no more than a can of dog food, and I would think better for them. I'm lazy, I guess, I just pour it from the can! No recipes! But she acts like it's crack, so she must like it alright.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 02:26 AM
The Salmon Snacks aren't added to their dog food....they're just treats:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25544&highlight=salmon+snacks

Mia101
August 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Glad she loves the Canidae. :thumbs up The reason for the soft poop is because there is a period of adjustment while the body is getting used to a better quality food.

How long, though? I spoke too soon. It's been mushy or plain runny for two days again :shrug:

Kristin7
September 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Have you tried feeding some pumpkin? Sometimes that helps solve the mushy poo problem. My dog was on Canidae for awhile, he didn't have any problems, except he didn't seem to like the taste very much. Well, one other thing is that he was licking his feet and legs a lot. I didn't think it was the food until he was switched to California Naturals Lamb and Rice. He stopped licking himself so much and actually seems to like the taste of it (he's picky). I suspect he has some sort of food sensitivity...

rainbow
September 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
The transition period can take a couple of months especially if the dog was on a brand that contained stool hardeners prior to changing to a premium/holistic food.

I agree with adding some pumpkin to see if it helps. Make sure it is the canned pure pumpkin and not the pie filling type. You can also try plain organic yogurt or buy prebiotics or digestive enzymes at the health food store.

Mia101
September 6th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I think she was eating too much, out of habit, I guess. When I backed her down on the amount, the stools were hard again right away, and have stayed that way.

She ate 2 1/2 cups or more of P1, but anything more than 1 1/2 cups is too much of the Canidae.

I think it's all good now.

mika140
September 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm glad you figured out the issue...or what it seems to be. Over the last week I've been going through the same issue with my older dog. She loved the taste of Canidae and everything was going great.....then soft stool/diarrhea. I didn't feed her for 24 hrs, then built up slowly. I wasn't sure if it was the amount, so I've kept her lower for the past several days and she's doing excellent (she took 3 cups science diet; she's at 2 now on Canidae Platinum...although I might bring it up a 1/4 - 1/2 cup....hard to guess the perfect amount). I still wasn't sure if I had the right issue though, so thanks for confirming what you've seen in your dog. After reading your post, I think I'll extend this to my younger dog too. I kept him on the same amount of Solid Gold BATM as he was on Science diet,pro plan,canidae (might have been part of the problem with Canidae now that I think about it). It makes me nervous to reduce the food cause he's already so lean, but after reading your post I think it will be worth a try to get the more stable stools.

Mia101
September 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I found that I had to back her all the way to only one cup, and a bit of something else if she was really doing the 'I am hungry!' bit.

Then I added 1/3 cup....everything was still OK, so I gave her 1 1/2 cups,,,,,she still pushed the bowl around the kitchen asking for more, so today we tried 1 3/4 cups.....if she wakes me in a few hours to go loosey-stool, I'll know to stick with 1 1/2, and give her a bit of something else for her hunger pains:thumbs up