Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amazing Grace comes to Hazel Run

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 10:43 PM
For those of you who haven't heard, the Seven Wonders of Hazel Run recently fostered young Amazing Grace. :dog: Gracie wanted to refine her house manners a bit and get some extra training before moving on to her forever home...

But it turns out that the Hazel Run Mama and Daddy just don't have the moral fortitude for fostering. They failed miserably. :rolleyes: It only took four days for their thoughts to turn from fostering to adopting. :o

This all seemed to be fine with Grace. She sorta liked it at Hazel Run--seven Pack members to play with, a stay-at-home Mom, and lots and lots of Kongs! :cloud9:

So the Seven Wonders have turned into eight...and the Hazel Run Mama is pretty sure Eight is Enough...but only time will tell :crazy:

Without further ado, let me present to you, Hazel Run's Amazing Grace:

28271 28273

Grace displaying what we call "way-back legs":

jiorji
August 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
hahahah i love "way-back legs" :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
She really is small, and she looks like a puppy...but she'll be two years old on November 8.

Like Brier, our other recent newbie, she took to Toys immediately. She especially likes Kongs.

28275 28276

And she's anything but a pushover when it comes to stealing her Kongs. :D

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=995554

breeze
August 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM
she is soooo pretty and "graceful" :cloud9: :cloud9:

I'm glad she found her forever home with you Hazel. She will grow up knowing what it is like to be love and loved and loved and loved and loved and love and love :D and 2 more loved for good luck

clm
August 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM
She's very pretty. I can hardly handle 2, next time I'm feeling overwhelmed, I think of you with 8.

Cindy

Frenchy
August 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
the Seven Wonders of Hazel Run recently fostered young Amazing Grace.

Fostered ? http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

I'm having computer problems since yesterday and now I only see half of the pictures :yell: :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
She and Brier hit it off right away. Although the Hazel Run Pack can be a bit overwhelming when she finds herself amidst a crowd of giants (http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1017581 :D), she's actually quite feisty when it comes to playing one-on-one with even the biggest of our boys. At 33 pounds, she almost exactly half the size of the Sheriff (65 pounds) and is dwarfed by both King Ember and Esquire Brier (58+ pounds). That doesn't stop her from playing...and playing hard :dog:

28277 28278

Grace playing with Brier outside...
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1004299

...and really taking it to him inside:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1017412

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM

I'm having computer problems since yesterday and now I only see half of the pictures :yell: :frustrated:

Want me to email them to you? They're all 90+ KB...but under 100KB in size...

Just say the word. :D

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
hahahah i love "way-back legs" :laughing:

Yeah, they all do that now and then. I wish hazel were that limber! :rolleyes:

breeze
August 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
so Hazel what color is her toothbrush going to be??? Is there another color that you don't have??

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM
she is soooo pretty and "graceful" :cloud9: :cloud9:

I'm glad she found her forever home with you Hazel. She will grow up knowing what it is like to be love and loved and loved and loved and loved and love and love :D and 2 more loved for good luck

Awww, thanks, Breeze. We're going to try to love her (and the rest of the Pack) as much as they deserve...though I'm not sure any mere mortals can succeed totally at that! :D

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
She's very pretty. I can hardly handle 2, next time I'm feeling overwhelmed, I think of you with 8.

Cindy

Actually, going from 1 to 2 is a 100% increase in work. We went from 7 to 8, so the workload only increased by 1/7! :thumbs up Hardly seems any different to ol' hazel...but she's been :crazy: for quite a while now so her opinion really doesn't count for much. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
so Hazel what color is her toothbrush going to be??? Is there another color that you don't have??

Now this is a sticky issue. Currently, Brier is stuck with a plain white one. The company that makes the toothbrushes dropped one color--red is no longer available--so we don't have any more colors to go to. However, they've also begun putting different colored bristles on the toothbrushes. So Grace's toothbrush is yellow like Lady (in Waiting) Ridge's is, but it has blue bristles instead if white ones! :thumbs up

So far, hazel hasn't forgotten whose toothbrush is whose... :p

Frenchy
August 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I see them ! woohoo ! I love the way back legs too ! And the playing with Brier :cloud9: You sure she's not up for adoption anymore ? Because for me , this size is only half a dog so I could afford her :laughing:

breeze
August 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
it sounds a little confusing to me, I guess I would have to put all of the colors on paper and pin it up in the bathroom :laughing: :laughing:

or wait does the toothbrush match the collars colors????

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM
it sounds a little confusing to me, I guess I would have to put all of the colors on paper and pin it up in the bathroom :laughing: :laughing:

or wait does the toothbrush match the collars colors????

The original Trio (Ember, Cass, and Cole) had toothbrushes color-coordinated with their collars: green, purple, and blue. When the Girls came, we got Macie an orange one to match her orange belton coat; Lil Belle, being a Princess, got a shocking pink one; and Lady (in Waiting) Ridge got a yellow one since yellow is the prefered color of psychotics. :eek: :laughing:

So some of them matched the collars :shrug: Since then, though, we've had to change out a number of collars and none matches the toothbrush anymore except Sheriff Cole's. Macie of course, will always match her brush, since it matches her spots! :D

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I see them ! woohoo ! I love the way back legs too ! And the playing with Brier :cloud9: You sure she's not up for adoption anymore ? Because for me , this size is only half a dog so I could afford her :laughing:

I'm pretty sure she's not up for adoption anymore! :o

But I think she'd have a ball playing with Nelly, even more than Bailey and Sam (she likes her playmates really big!). Don't know what she'd think of Monsieur le chat and Paddington, though... :eek:

JanM
August 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I knew it - I just knew it! 7 just wasn't the right number... She is so pretty and so sweet looking! I am so glad that Grace has found her forever home - after, what's just one more, right?????

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I knew it - I just knew it! 7 just wasn't the right number... She is so pretty and so sweet looking! I am so glad that Grace has found her forever home - after, what's just one more, right?????

:laughing: Uh-oh, Jan--that kind of thinking will get you into trouble! Look where it got hazel! :o :laughing: :crazy:

But she really is a little lovey...couldn't pass her up. :D

And we now have a strict 'no fostering' rule in place...at least till we win the lottery. :o Eight is Enough!

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2007, 12:38 AM
The Pack defending Gracie from the Princess Lil Belle :lovestruck: stare down was so cute - they all ganged up to let Gracie slip away :cloud9:

Nose smudgies are the best :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I should have known better than to lean over her like that--the same morning, she greeting hubby's mom by jumping, all four paws off the ground, about 4.5 feet straight up :eek: The camera lens was much lower than that! :p Sorta mashed hazel's glasses into her face. :laughing: Ouch :o

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2007, 12:54 AM
but made for great video :thumbs up :laughing: :laughing:

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 04:21 AM
So ya lasted a whole four days eh ? Hey DubyaD ! Who won the pool ?:laughing: Amazing Grace is positively loverly Hazel !

wdawson
August 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
So ya lasted a whole four days eh ? Hey DubyaD ! Who won the pool ?:laughing: Amazing Grace is positively loverly Hazel !

everybody won:D ....we all knew gracie was no foster:laughing:

Smiley14
August 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Ohhhh, I love the video! Thanks so much for posting that!!! I can't get over how petite she is! :lovestruck:

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM

DITTO !!! :laughing:

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Cute videos......she sure is a feisty one. :D

And, about the toothbrushes, I would have to have to put their names on the handles. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Today she finally felt "at home" enough to have an honest-to-dog zoomie. It was so funny to watch! :dog:

I'm hoping to upload the video later, but right now our really bad lines are back. :frustrated: She is such a cutie, though. I think she's gonna apply for the Court Jester opening! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM

:o Yep, a whole four days...well, four days before we emailed for arrangements, anyway, so four days is the official Time of Failure. The actual Time was, of course, much shorter, as we'd both been privately thinking about adoption for at least a couple of days by the time we broached the subject with each other... :rolleyes:

hazel doesn't understand why none of you had any faith in her fostering abilities :confused: :p

:laughing:

Frenchy
August 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
hazel doesn't understand why none of you had any faith in her fostering abilities :confused: :p

I know , I'm very disapointed of all the members here :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I know , I'm very disapointed of all the members here :rolleyes:

:laughing: :p :laughing: :p :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM

we knew you couldn't resist that wee sweet face :lovestruck: :cloud9:

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I'm sure it was Madame Hazel that had a big influence on you. :rolleyes: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, yes...that madame hazel is a terrible troublemaker! :laughing:

otter
August 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Yipee, one more reason to schedule a visit to the Hazel Run Pack Homestead!!

And Grace would probably be small enough to sneak away with (and Hazel could easily be distracted by the other seven and ensuing chaos when a bag full of Kongs get unleashed in the yard)

Congratulations Grace and welcome to the family!:dog: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

.... i've missed sooooooo much around here, I must necessitate more pets.ca time in my schedule!

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 03:12 AM
:highfive: It's otter (and Molly, I presume? :D)

Yes! You must necessitate more pets.ca time! :laughing:

And I promise you, if you bring a whole bagful of Kongs, the Pack will treat you like Royalty! :thumbs up :D

TeriM
August 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Congrats Hazel, she's a real beautiful little girl and I love the fiesty attitude in the videos :cloud9: .

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM
She's getting even feistier. Today she body-blocked grumpy ol' King Ember, then had a zoomie around the yard and tackled Brier! Actually knocked the young upstart over! :eek: And she's only half his size. :D

TeriM
August 29th, 2007, 12:23 AM
She sounds wonderful :lovestruck: , you must be endlessly entertained with all of them :cloud9: .

Just curious, do you guys do much training with them? I think you said that hubby hunts with them but do they all do that?

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I do lots of yard training with them--the usual stuff: sit, stay, "hut" (a stay on point), back up, crawl, down, roll over, side (lay on side and wait for release)...stuff like that. The original three (Cass, Cole and Ember) know all the commands, the others are at various stages of catching on.

Cole invented his own unique 'trick'--a dance that only he does. When I teach a command, I use both voice and hand signal. The signal for roll over is holding my finger horizontally and moving my hand in a circle (if it were pointing at my temple, it would be the motion I'd use to indicate I was crazy :crazy:). One day, being senile, I accidentally pointed my finger down (oops) and moved it in a circle instead. Cole looked at me and did a very logical interpretation--he turned his body in a circle and then looked up at me expectantly. :dog: "Is that what you're asking for, Mom?" He's done it to that command ever since. It's his "dance". :D

Brier and Grace both have already learned to sit--Macie will probably never learn. None of the usual techniques have worked with her, so I'm trying to capture it by saying 'sit' whenever I catch her in the act. She isn't atuned enough to human words to catch on quickly, though. Macie learned most of what she knows by watching the other dogs respond to commands, not through anything I've done. Comes of her being isolated in that outside kennel she lived in before we got her. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Cole invented his own unique 'trick'--a dance that only he does. When I teach a command, I use both voice and hand signal. The signal for roll over is holding my finger horizontally and moving my hand in a circle (if it were pointing at my temple, it would be the motion I'd use to indicate I was crazy :crazy:). One day, being senile, I accidentally pointed my finger down (oops) and moved it in a circle instead. Cole looked at me and did a very logical interpretation--he turned his body in a circle and then looked up at me expectantly. :dog: "Is that what you're asking for, Mom?" He's done it to that command ever since. It's his "dance". :D

Okay where's the video of this one??????? :D

TeriM
August 30th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I second that :D .

breeze
August 30th, 2007, 09:30 AM
We want more pictures and vidieo please :D :rolleyes:
of all your beautiful doggies

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Likely I can get the footage...uploading it will be another matter :rolleyes: But I'll see what I can do. I only have 4 minutes of tape left so I'll have to do it quick. :laughing:

Misery's company
August 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;471025
Cole invented his own unique 'trick'--a dance that only he does. When I teach a command, I use both voice and hand signal. The signal for roll over is holding my finger horizontally and moving my hand in a circle (if it were pointing at my temple, it would be the motion I'd use to indicate I was crazy :crazy:). One day, being senile, I accidentally pointed my finger down (oops) and moved it in a circle instead. Cole looked at me and did a very logical interpretation--he turned his body in a circle and then looked up at me expectantly. :dog: "Is that what you're asking for, Mom?" He's done it to that command ever since. It's his "dance". [/QUOTE]

Misery does this one too, but now it is also her standby trick. If I have anything edible in my hand instead of giving me the beggar eyes, she will spin 4 or 5 times now. This behaviour is not (usually) rewarded but we are trying to work on a combo where she does the spin and then goes through my legs and then spins again. I have so many bruises!!!

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Misery must spin faster than Cole does, though--he progresses at a very dignified deliberate pace. :D Even if he walked flat into my leg, it wouldn't bruise me.

Must be something about the 'dancers'... Cole is one of those dogs who is eager to show off his tricks, too. It used to be that I'd give him a command, and he'd start off with the correct response, then without waiting for his reward, he'd start going through his whole repertoire! :laughing: Sounds like Misery is somewhat of a ham, too. Don't you just love it? :lovestruck: Dogs are such characters! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Cole is one of those dogs who is eager to show off his tricks, too. It used to be that I'd give him a command, and he'd start off with the correct response, then without waiting for his reward, he'd start going through his whole repertoire! :laughing: Sounds like Misery is somewhat of a ham, too. Don't you just love it? :lovestruck: Dogs are such characters! :thumbs up

Cally used to do the same thing. I would ask him to sit, speak, down stay, sit for a cookie & if he was in the cookie spot (near the cookie cupboard) - all I had to say was sit & he would do all the rest w/out my asking - so eager for a cookie he wanted extra points for more tricks!! :laughing: :crazy: :dog:

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
So I guess you don't train with treats ? I can see it , trying to train one of your newbies and all the other ones get around to get a cookie :eek:

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
So I guess you don't train with treats ? I can see it , trying to train one of your newbies and all the other ones get around to get a cookie :eek:

If the dog is food driven, we train with kibble. That's why the others have to wait in the kennel runs while we're training. :p (It's about the only time they're in there! :D ) Cole is the worst offender. He has the fastest mouth in the universe. Hand a dog a cookie and Cole's mouth is suddenly there between your hand and the target mouth. :dog: Travels at mach 7. :laughing:

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
That is much more easier to have the others in their kennels ! I've been meaning to teach Nelly some tricks , but I just hate to separate them. :sad: she does sit and come on command but I would like to teach her more things , as she is very smart :o :p

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hand a dog a cookie and Cole's mouth is suddenly there between your hand and the target mouth. :dog: Travels at mach 7. :laughing:

Cole = my Sam :D

TeriM
August 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM

:laughing: :laughing: That is totally Lucy! Whenever Riley does something she figures that she gets at least half the treat :lovestruck: .

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Another nice thing about the kennels is that all the dogs in the outdoor runs on the screened-in porch can see what's going on. And they learn so much just by watching :thumbs up Smart doggies! :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:

Course, they also bark a lot :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
:laughing: :laughing: That is totally Lucy! Whenever Riley does something she figures that she gets at least half the treat :lovestruck: .

That's because, unbeknownst to you, Lucy is actually the translater. She understands your commands, and speaks fluent labby so she can pass the command on to Riley! :dog: So she really does deserve half the treat! :D

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
So she really does deserve half the treat! :D

Yes she does ! She's mommy's little helper :dog:

TeriM
August 30th, 2007, 10:36 PM
That's because, unbeknownst to you, Lucy is actually the translater. She understands your commands, and speaks fluent labby so she can pass the command on to Riley! :dog: So she really does deserve half the treat! :D

Nice try :p .

It was hilarious when we were trying to teach Riley how to heel. She was totally off leash and allowed to be doing whatever she wanted and she just kept on squeezing her way between myself and Riley. She has never heeled so perfectly in her entire life :laughing: .

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
:laughing: good girl Lucy :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Today I had Grace out in the yard on a leash. I don't think she's had much leash training and she really hates to be held by the collar so I figured it would be a pretty good skill to teach her. She did very well, considering the other 7 were weaving in and out and around us the whole time! :rolleyes:

Tomorrow, the Seven Wonders are going to watch from the kennels. :p

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Okay where's the video of this one??????? :D

he he

Here's some footage I took this morning just for you guys (don't you feel honored? :laughing:)

In the first part, you'll see Cass and Cole doing their finest "roll over" imitations. :D Then you'll see hazel's hand demonstrating both the correct signal for a "roll over" and what she did that morning, lo those many months ago, when she screwed it up.

Picture the Sheriff on that long ago morning, head tipped to one side, thinking "What's that silly Human want me to do?" and then seeing the :lightbulb: in his eyes. It's the result of that :lightbulb: moment that you'll see in the last part of the video. He does it consistently, and invented it himself.

And Misery's company? You'll see why bruising is not a danger :laughing: It's the sedate action of a dedicated couch potato! :laughing:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1059638

growler~GateKeeper
September 2nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
so smart Cole!! :highfive: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Yes we feel very honoured our request was responded to in such a timely fashion by the Royal Pack http://bestsmileys.com/bowing/2.gif :D

rainbow
September 2nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Awww.......what a smart boy, Cole. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
September 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Yep, that's why he's the Sheriff! He's so smart! :D It takes brawn and brains to be in law enforcement. :thumbs up

No need to bow, growler...the Royal Court doesn't insist on formality :laughing:--except of course for the Royal pats, hugs, kissies, tummy rubs, and Kong throws! :dog:

:p