Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Natural Chew Foods/toys

gsdlove
August 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I've finally got my new German Shepherd puppy. He's 15 weeks old now and of course is teething. Ive made up cloths soaked in broth & frozen them but would like some other ideas for aiding him. I know it's not going to last long (thank goodness)! Thanks!

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I found anything nubbly like kongs, those little tires...my hands :D was well appreciated .

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think Kongs and frozen knotted denim are best. :pawprint:

Goldens4Ever
August 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
LOL. I had to read these posts twice because I've never heard of chewing on frozen cloths or denim).....I thought it was a typ-o or something. :laughing:

I know when my two were little, they chewed on rubber toys, similar to Kongs & such. We gave them something frozen, but I cannot remember what it was.

This is a great time to start massaging the gums with your fingers to start the desensitization process for brushing the teeth. You need to get the puppy used to your fingers in the mouth. Then, buy a tiny toothbrush & gently move it around in the mouth to get the puppy accustomed to the toothbrush. When the day comes to start brushing the new teeth, it will be a breeze. :thumbs up

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
This is a great time to start massaging the gums with your fingers to start the desensitization process for brushing the teeth. You need to get the puppy used to your fingers in the mouth. Then, buy a tiny toothbrush & gently move it around in the mouth to get the puppy accustomed to the toothbrush. When the day comes to start brushing the new teeth, it will be a breeze. :thumbs up

Excellent idea. :thumbs up