Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

English Mastiff

Berkeley
August 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
We have an 8 month old English Mastiff. He is a beautiful, well mannered dog. However, he is acting strange. He will eat and drink and still run around the yard, but when he comes in the house he lays by the back door and whines. He is not whining to go out, because we let him out all the time. We notice nothing else wrong except that he will not leave the back door. We do not have any other dogs in the neighborhood, so I know he is not looking for a girlfriend. It just seems very strange. This has gone on for 24 hours now. I am calling my vet in the morning to have him checked over, I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. He is a very playful dog and is still wagging his tail, just something seems wrong and I can't put my finger on it.:confused:

Frenchy
August 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
He will eat and drink and still run around the yard,

Maybe that's why ? Dogs should not run around and play right after their meal , it can cause them to bloat. So maybe he has an upset stomach ? You should defenetly get him to the vet. And also , we do have a picture forum ;) .... would love to see pics of your dog.

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Some dogs are more vocal than others. My Ceili woofs, whines and whimpers for everything and I do mean E.V.E.R.Y. little thing whereas Declan might woof once a week and Bridie only vocalizes when she is playing or alerting me to the "clear and present danger" of a raccoon in the garbage. :rolleyes:

What happens if you call him into the living room to sit with you instead of by the back door ?

And hey, what's with the no pictures !!?? ;)

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Just a thought:confused: my son got a dog after the dogs owner passed,she would sit by the frontdoor crying for a long time,waiting for her owner to come and get her:cry:
But yours is just a pup,so I am sure it does not apply..pics please,we have very few Mastiffs here:dog:

Berkeley
August 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I would love to post pictures of my dog, however, that part of my computer is not working, will post some as soon as it is up and running again. I did take him to the vet and come to find out, we had a BAD storm the other day and I guess that has really freaked him out. We were all at work and he was home alone. The vet said eventually he will snap out of it and he is doing much better, he is starting to come in the house when we are here, but he lays by the back door if we are not here. And just to clarify, we don't have him eat and drink then run, I was just listing the normal things he would still do. He is 120lbs at 8 months old and not an ounce of fat on him. He is a beautiful dog and wonderful with our cat and kids :thumbs up

LynLyn
August 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
wow a mastiff, as soon as you can get pics up please do so. And I'm glad the whining is getting better.

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Glad to hear he is doing better. :thumbs up Looking forward to seeing pics of him. :cloud9:

pitgrrl
August 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
My one dog who is really freaked out by thunderstorms can act a bit off for a few days afterwards.

There are lots of things that can help with thunderstorm fears, and from my own experience it's better to start dealing with it ASAP as left unchecked it can just snowball and get worse.

I have a hard time dealing with a terrified 50lbs of dog, I can't even imagine the 100+lbs you have :laughing: