Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broken tooth

pkrois
August 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
My lab-retriever has a broken tooth (molar). The vet tells me that what is needed is an x-ray and then an extraction of the tooth. The bill will be $700. Is a broken tooth that critical, or can it just be left alone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Peter

jessi76
August 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Well, you can always get a 2nd opinon from another vet.

If the tooth is broken though, I wouldn't just leave it. infection can set in, and become quite serious, rather fast. the last thing you want is for your dog to get an infection, this can prolong the problem, I'd imagine a course of antibiotics would be needed to clear it up before extraction. it could become alot more costly if you wait or leave it.

If you can't afford $700 at once, perhaps talk to your vet about setting up a payment plan for the procedure.

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yes if the tooth is broken it MUST come out, same with our teeth. Pieces of the broken tooth will continue to chip off, & infection will settle in then $700 will look like chump change when you're dealing with jawbone infection - full out surgery to remove sections of infected bone.

If you can't afford the extraction cost up front consult with your vet regarding setting up a payment plan.

good luck, let us know how everything works out

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Definitely needs to come out. In addition to infection at the site, the tooth if jagged-edged could also be tearing up the inside of your dog's cheeks and jowls.

SnowDancer
August 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Most definitely, broken tooth needs to come out. You definitely do not want an infected, abscessed tooth or the bill will be more than double.