Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there a 'freaking crazy' stage at 12 months?

Tommysmom
August 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Tommy will be 12 months old September 1st. Is there some kind of strange little stage they go through at this age?

He is suddenly sometimes terrified of EVERYTHING. Open the door to go for a walk and OMG there's a Sears catalogue on the doorstep - the world has come to an end! Not to mention the stress of the large item/furniture garbage pick up night... or heaven forbid, somebody else walking on the sidewalk 6 blocks away. One minute he's walking down the road just fine, the next minute cars scare him senseless. He sees the neighbour's dog and is terrified (turn around the block and that same dog is his best friend and he can't bear to leave him). A random plastic bag floating in the wind scares him. Bunnies hopping in the yard scare him (toads are still yummy though, and butterflies are the best fun!).

When he's not terrified, he's terrifying, lol. He has started humping my hubby's arm, something he hasn't done since he was a very little pup and even then it was only a couple of times (hubby used to work overseas, so Tommy tended to do it when he'd return home, kind of like trying to show hubby his place in the pack, hahahaha).

Then... darling dearest sweetheart dog of mine walked past the open back door today and headed upstairs. I thought nothing of it because he loves to snooze on the bed when he's not in his crate during the day. A few minutes later I headed upstairs and he'd pooped in the hallway:eek: . I mentally kicked myself for not making sure he'd gone outside long enough (and thanked the doggy spirits for finally having SOLID poops :laughing: )and went to flush it in the toilet... when I stepped back into the hallway two seconds later he'd pee'd there too!! This is not normal behaviour for him - even when he was terribly ill he never had a housebreaking issue, and he's adjusted to the backyard of the new house beautifully.

We had a lot of changes here - moving, my husband starting a new job - but that was all a couple of months ago. He adjusted beautifully after a rough first week or so and loves his new home, seems fine with his new routine.

Is it the age? Are we at some kind of stage where everything he's learned is suddenly vanished and he's half terrified, half planning world domination? This has really only started in the last week or so. It's been so long since I had a puppy I just can't remember if there's a final pre-adult type phase they go through that makes you want to strangle the sweet little loveable balls of fur.

And... most importantly... DOES IT END?:laughing: :frustrated:

jessi76
August 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
ROFLMAO! (not AT you, WITH you of course!)

my dog went through that "idiot phase" around 10-11mths, so perhaps Tommy is going through that now. certainly sounds like it! and yes, it does end! it doesn't "magically" disappear though, I had to be really dilligent about routine and training during that time. I enforced commands, rules, and manners every chance I got. once he realized I was not backing down, he finally gave in and stopped trying to challenge me on everything.

this is not to say my dog doesn't act like a total LOON every now and then.. he's over 2 and believe me, he can still be a weirdo at times. just the other day he was afraid to go by the side of the couch... who knows, maybe it smelled weird, maybe he got stung by a bee, maybe the cat yelled BOO! at him, I'll never know, but I did lure him over there to confront the fear, and rewarded him for it. he was over it in about 2 minutes. plastic bags have freaked him out too - I just continue on, ignore the scary item. he generally picks up on my energy... so if I meet the fear w/ confidence, he generally follows suit.

as for the accidents in the house... was it just a fluke? or is it happening alot? if it's a fluke, I wouldn't worry too much, clean up, perhaps make sure he does his business outside next time, praise him, and forget about it. if it's becoming habit, and you're sure it's not a health issue, I'd limit his freedom until the rules are re-established and respected.

Ford Girl
August 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi, yes, there are stages of development including a second fear stage and an adolecence stage. Just google: puppy stages of development

You will find all kinds of info on it, and keep in mind that it is a guideline only - they all develope at different rates, so even tho your pooch is a year old, he may show signs of the stage below or above that.

I know this cuz Dazy went thru and is still developing, she's almost a year old - every single behavioral stage you could imagine, from cocky to scared to disobedience to "deaf" to bully to submissive to eager to ignoreing me to the best dog in the world to the biggest brat all in the same week!!! LOL! I try to adjust my expectations and training around these guidlines but boy o boy does it test you!!! hahah! Good luck! :laughing:

:thumbs up Jessie76 has been there done that and has good tips and suggestions to try when it comes to training and working on the stages, it's helped me when I post things like this...:thumbs up

Tommysmom
August 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
LOL, good to know I'm not alone! Thanks guys! I was just wondering if I'd walked into the twilight zone this week or something... everything was pretty much normal until one day BAM, somebody replaced my dog with a crazy beast:laughing: .

I had looked up the development stages but most sites I found left off around 8 months and just said 'now your dog is an adolescent'. They forgot to mention a completely moronic adolescent sometimes, lol.

I think the accidents in the house are a fluke, but I'll be doing my best to ensure that the fluke doesn't become habit just in case. And maybe a few extra walks daily and a bit more training work is in order these days. We already knew hubby was going to have to work a bit more with him, since he never humps me, just hubby, lmao. Since he started his new job the dog just doesn't seem to listen to him as much, hubby misses being with him so he tends to do a lot more playing when he gets home and not as much work on his manners - he'll have to work a bit harder and stop just being the fun parent:laughing: .

I kinda knew it must be a stage, but it's nice sometimes to vent and hear you're not alone... thanks again!

Frenchy
August 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hi, yes, there are stages of development including a second fear stage and an adolecence stage.

Yep that's right , Tommy is a teenager now. Good luck mmmwwaaaa :evil:

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
:laughing: good luck from me too and have fun. :D

Tommysmom
August 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Good luck is right:laughing: :laughing: . My little clown has developed so many different personalities I don't know who I'm going to wake up to these days:laughing: . (Today is apparently personality #143, the 'I don't have to listen to you but I'm gonna stay glued to your side allllllllllllllllll day' type, LOL).

Good thing he's such a cutie pie:laughing: .

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Thank's for the laugh:laughing: :laughing: