Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male dog post-neuter bladder control / incontinence?

Finnegan
August 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Hi - we have a 9-month old male beagle which was neutered last week. Prior to neutering, he had good control of his bladder and was housetrained to the point where if he needed to urinate, he would go and sit by the back door and wait until let out. He was also paper-trained to urinate in one specific area of the house on the top floor where he sleeps at night. Normally, he can hold his pee for up to 8-9 hours (as we both work during the day and we'd come home and find that his sheets are dry in the crate).

After surgery, he was on metacam pain-killer which we administered in the morning for four days. During these 4 days, he was still able to exhibit his usual housetraining. On the evening of the 4th day, however, he had a pee accident indoors, which we just attributed to a one-off incident post-surgery.

The next day, we noticed that he was "dripping" pee sometimes as he walked around the house. He drank more, and was urinating a lot more. What concerned us, however, is that he started peeing inside the house, i.e. he would not stand by the door as he normally would. We would also not get the usual warning signs (i.e. sniffing around) - he would be normally walking and then stop and pee (he normally pees in a semi-standing/squatting position). The dripping gets more pronounced at night, too. We actually took him out just before bed, and 15 minutes later he peed on his bed.

We took a urinary sample to our vet, but it came back negative. Nevertheless, he prescribed a week's worth of antibiotics just to make sure.

It is now four days after the first accident, and what we've noticed is:
(a) that in the morning, he does not drip (much).
(b) he drinks a lot more often than he used to.
(c) he has wet spots in his bedding overnight.
(d) dripping becomes more frequent at night, and so is the need to urinate.
(e) most of the accidents (1 to 2 a day) happen at night.
(f) he hasn't peed on his papers at night but instead pees on his bed (this morning at 3 am we actually saw him licking up the urine where he peed on his bed).

Other than the above, we haven't seen any other change in behaviour. What makes me curious is that this all started as soon as he came off the pain-killers. Coincidence? Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated! I just hope that we did not make a mistake in having him neutered.

jessi76
August 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
oh dear, it certainly sounds like something is going on. Have you consulted another vet for a second opinion? At this point, that's probably what I'd do. I'm so sorry to hear of your beagle's troubles, but please know you did not make a mistake by having him neutered. Having your dog neutered was the responsible thing to do. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Finnegan
August 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply....I guess that's why I posted in this forum, so I can get some second-, third- opinions :)

Finnegan
August 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Update: Puppy seems to be doing better lately - the dripping at night has scaled down quite a bit and there are no more "wet spots" in his bed after he has slept overnight. He still urinates frequently at night though - I'd say once an hour then maybe every half-hour just before bedtime at 10:30 pm. In the morning to mid-afternoon he now goes every 3-4 hours. We continue to watch him like a hawk.....wondering if part of all this was behavioural?

mummummum
August 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I doubt that it's behavioural myself because of the steady improvement of bladder control. It's more likely that he had alot of internal post-surgical swelling/ site trauma and his brain wasn't receiving the usual signals from his bladder and urethra. It sounds like he's definitely on the mend.