Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan's Vet Visit

krdahmer
August 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Went well. The lump although still there is becoming more fluid and seems to be getting smaller so the vet said that is good and maybe Fagan just needs longer than most to heal. She even took an xray (for free:thumbs up ) to check and see if it was the microchip with a granuloma around it... and nope, the chip is fine. I LOVE my vet because she really cares about my Fagan. He was a little shaken up after they took him into the back without me, but I don't blame him last time they did he had to stay a whole week! But we're home now and he had some of his favorite food, and is back to bird watching out the window. :lovestruck: My little dude.... he's such a trooper! This makes like almost 40 visits to the vet in 18 months, he is so good in the car and everyone at the vets loves him. I'm so proud to be his 'mom'!:D

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I'm glad his visit went well. It's so nice to know that your little one is loved by others too.

LOL, my vet's office adores Oksana, and they all have a lot of um...respect for Vlad LOL.

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear that Fagan's lump seems to be improving, krdahmer! :thumbs up Sounds like you have an excellent vet, too. :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
:highfive: glad to hear Fagan's doing well :goodvibes:

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM
What great news for little Fagan ~ glad he's on the mend. And hang on to that Vet ~ she's golden!

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Dahmer that's great news for Fagan and you,Vinnies lump is totally gone,wish I had a vet like yours:cat:

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Well I think she'd do that for all her patients.... the way she looks at it is the lump is due to something they did to him, so why should I have to pay for it? It would be different if it were something that would have happened anyway. He is still having problems with his legs though, which I'm affraid will be a big deal later. His left knee still goes out once in a while and now his right too (more because he puts more weight on it we think). She thinks he'll most likely develop arthritic problems in both hind legs when he's a bit older.... but we'll deal with that when it comes and treat him the very best we can!:lovestruck:

Hubby wants to move away from here and other than family she is the next closest reason to NOT move... it took me 4 years to find her and don't want to look another 4!

She also has started a charity for cats to help find them homes called The Catmobile, and volunteers much of her time with the Animal Assistance Society that I worked with to rehome several of my strays.... they are both great and really doing some good around here.... in fact here is a cute little story from one of the local papers....

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/article/116754

(Lucy and me actually went together to wrangle some stray kittens in Dunneville last year... that was quite an adventure, I ended up in emergency.... not that I can blame the little guys, we must have scared them silly.:o ) Lucy gives almost all her time to the stray and wayward kittens and cats of the Niagara Region... she's such an :angel: !

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
That is a nice story and your vet with the Catmobile,great !!
My vets always has cats/kittens in the waiting-room for adoption,last week there were 3 kittens only 6 weeks old 2 orange ones and one calico,I just about died,soo cute.
I feel sorry my vets(4) always recommend declaw:yell: so sorry for those babies,hopefully they'll go to people against declawing.
I also always leave the clinic with a really heavy heart every time,especially when they have adult cats,I hate it,but hopefully they have a better chance to be adopted at the vets:pray:

My old vet Hazel,who was the lone vet at this same clinic,would not declaw,no matter how much money she made,but she went back home to Scotland,we both cried saying goodbye:cry:

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Aw... sorry she had to leave...:cry:

And sorry about the vet recommending:eek: declawing!!!:frustrated:

I know what you mean about the waiting room kitties, my vets office is covered in them, she always has a few kittens and some of the older cats out front, but you should see the back, she actually started the Catmoblile for more space so that she could save more from being euthanized at the HS!!:angel: :lovestruck: I used to go in the back to visit Fagan when he was there for a week last summer and I could not get over how many are caged and kept there to avoid the horrible alternative:cry: , mother cats nursing up to 2 litters (for mothers that passed away or couldn't nurse.... )older cats, kittens by the dozens... she is my cat hero! :thumbs up And I just wish all vets were so dedicated to the animals.

I like that I don't have to wait long usually or I'd fall in love and end up that crazy cat lady with 12 cats!!!:o

I think that vets adopting out is such a good idea though, because it stands to reason that the vast majority of a vet office visitors are animal lovers and some of them are bound to have room to add another furry family member, or know someone else looking. They even hold cat and kitten adoptions at the clinic on Sunday afternoons where they bring in even more from the foster homes! I just can't express enough the respect and adoration I have for these people with the vets and the rescues (heck all vets and rescues- and you folks too!;) ).... I really just wish I could do more. ( I have found it really hard to volunteer, because if I was to bring home even one flea I could start all over again with Fagan.:shrug: ) But I will do what I can by donating food and money, and as soon as we have a house I plan to have a cooled and heated shed or outbuilding to convert into a place to house cats that need homes. (I actually even have plans drawn up.... if hubby gets his big truck workshop, I get my cat house!)

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
:cry: :sad: My poor little man.... Buddy the big brute knocked him out of the cat tree and his right leg went out again!!!:frustrated: He is sleeping under the spare bed and will not come out.... I'm gonna wait and see how it looks when he comes out, if he's still hobbling (with the left knee, he usually comes out alright after an hour or so of resting- vet thinks its the cruciate ligaments due to all the depo-medrol shots he's had) we will have to call the emerg # for the vet and see if she can take a look.

I am researching again about glucosamine and that, we have to try something to strengthen these joints! He goes along fine, running, playing, etc., then one wrong move and he's limping and hiding. :shrug: :cry:

I love him so much, I just hate that he goes through all this. It's like a cycle, he gets the shot, hurts his leg, starts to bite the legs, needs another shot, hurts the leg, bites the leg, needs another shot.... we've been doing good with the holistic meds to control the biting, but haven't figured out anything for the knees yet.:sad:

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hubby just checked and he wasn't under the bed so we went looking and found him in the top of our smaller cat tree.... so looks like it's back in place for the time being.... I gave him and extra dose of his hoistic meds and some rescue remedy so maybe that will calm him and keep him from getting rambuncous tonight. I really don't want to have to set up his cage, he hated it so much.

I think I'm gonna take him back to the vets next week and have her check his legs again and talk to her about some sort of supplements/meds. And maybe revisit the surgery option (although we may have to look for that elusive money tree to get that done).

Once again he is such a trooper.... just napping away like nothing happened.:cat: :lovestruck:

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Dahmer,I think Rocky too has a problem with his backlegs,I have the litterboxes downstairs and he kind of limps up the stairs,but otherwise runs around like crazy.
The vet wanted me to give him pain-meds,said the running around is the adrenalin working,he could still be in pain,but I opted out of giving more meds,he's already on the Thyroid-stuff.
:grouphug: to Fagan that he will be ok,which one is Fagan???

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
My orange little man.... with skin issues, food and flea allergies, anxiety, AND two crappy knees now...:sad: And the guy who humps me and his sister!:rolleyes: He is also my little snuggle bug!:lovestruck: And talks to me all the time, especially if I am grating cheese!:D

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Awww,what a little beauty:lovestruck: I never had an orange cat,but had all the other colours:laughing:
It's strange,My Rocky has caused me all kinds of problems,attacking me,spraying etc...but he is definetly closest to my heart.
If I cough he gets all worried,if I cry he is all over me,he is just a wonderful,intelligent cat:lovestruck:
He's like a dad to Vinnie,licks him,wrestles him,I just love him sooo much,had he been with anyone else,I am sure he would have been dumped.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I feel the same way about Fagan, I love all my cats but me and Fagan went through so much together in the last year I can't help but feel a special bond with him. :lovestruck: He seems to be getting better as the night goes on so I'm hoping if I keep him calm and quiet this will wait till Monday, that way I can avoid the emerg. fees. (He even humped me a while ago while I was watching a movie.... so the knee can't be that bad.:rolleyes: )

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
He's a handsome dude, krdahmer! Glad his knee realigned! :thumbs up Poor kitty! :cat:

krdahmer
August 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks Hazel! :D

It seems a little more tender than the left, and he has the slightest of limps right now.... but I can notice it. Of course the problem with the right only started just this past week, so I'm sure its a little raw. When his left goes out he just hobbles away and lays down for a bit... but today when the right went out he let out a yelp and hissed at Buddy. (I snapped at Buddy too, and then loved him up later.... I try not to raise my voice- I know they don't understand that and I prefer to use the water bottle, but it wasn't handy.... and I am rather perterbed when they pick on Fagan.:shrug: :sad: )

Thanks too for listening guys.... my hubby just tells me I'm over reacting and he'll be fine, it's nice to talk to people who understand how upsetting it is when your pets are in pain. I layed on the floor beside the bed he was hiding under and cried.... it just kills me when he gets hurt like that. Even though I know Buddy was just playing and it was all an accident. I just wish they understood when I tell them to go easy on him! :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Oh, ya! I can relate to that! :grouphug: How do you explain to them that some of their buddies can't play as hard? :rolleyes: We have two girls (Cass and Lil Belle) with spondyllosis--they tend to get stiff/sore backs...and the boys just can't figure out that the reason they're lying down or running away from them is that they're playing too rough. Sigh! Men! :frustrated: :o

I've had many a discussion with them about the problem, but those darn boys just don't wanna listen! :p

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 12:50 AM
He sure is a handsome fellow. :lovestruck: Glad to hear his lump is improving but sorry to hear of all his other troubles. :sad: :grouphug: