Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about cats and weight?

Winston
August 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I was so happy yesterday when I took my two cats Tabitha and Bomber for their annual check up..The vet gave them a really great report!! She was really happy that they were as good as they were for their age..(11)

What I am amazed about is that they have weighed the same amount each and every year since they were about a year old...Tabitha is 6.4 pounds and Bomber is 8.2 pounds...so for the past 10 yrs the exact weight? I thought for sure they would have gained some weight since I have had them on the Orijen cat food but no!! I was really shocked when the vet looked at their teeth because they told me before I should have them cleaned...well I guess the new cat food has worked because their teeth were really clean! They got a A+ for that!!

Does it matter if they always weigh the same?

Cindy

Love4himies
August 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I have had two cats from the time they were kittens, one was 14 when he passed away another is currently 11 years old. They never varied from their weight since they have been 18 months and they have/had unlimited food at their disposal. Until now, I have never had a weight problem with my cats.

I currently have a rescue who is approx 5 years old and am having problems controlling his weight.

Winston
August 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah it is funny...mine free feed too! My mom has a cat that has to have his food regulated as he will eat himself too death! He is 2yrs old and 13 pounds!! but a sweetheart!

Cindy

chico2
August 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
My Chico(16lb's) and Vinnie(17+lb's) have stayed on the same weight for a long time,Rocky went from 16lb's to 12lb's lost it all when he got sick,is not gaining any back:frustrated:

crazyk1020
August 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM
ever since my boys have gotten out of their growth spurt they have stayed at 9.3 and 9.8 pounds. They have unlimited dry plus wet food twice a day. On the otherhad my parents too had a cat who would hord food and eat himself to death if free fed.