Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy host to strange parasite

Burdette
August 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
The vets here have not seen this sort of thing in this area. I discovered a nasty looking cyst-like sore on my 8 week old German Shepherd puppy's chest. Took her to the vet who began cleaning it off to get a better look. She found it had a definite "center" and thought it looked like a bug bite. It was weeping a bit and she sqeezed it and immediately exclaimed " O my gosh" as a larvae type something came out. It was about the size of a maggot but more "pointy" and a rather transluscent white. They had never seen anything like it in a dog before. The vet immediately destroyed it but I am concerned about what it was and where she could have got it. Has anyone out there come across this sort of thing before.

hazelrunpack
August 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I just did receive an email from a friend talking about something very similar. Something called a Cuterebra--a "warble" or larva of a bot fly.

Did it look like this? (caution...graphic picture):

http://www.bright.net:80/~bryanvet/Cuterebra.htm

The dog it was found on was living in New England...

Burdette
August 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
There certainly isn't that kind of "hole" in Jessie. We do have bot flies here and the vet, I'm sure would be familiar with them. But this really didn't look like the pictures of bot fly larvae that I have looked up although I was so grossed out that I must admit to not looking too closely. I've checked her all over carefully, scared that I might find more swellings but nothing thankfully. She will be on antibiotics for a few days and I have to keep her from scratching at it if I can but she seems none the worse for wear. We live in a rural area but not near any farms as such. I'm just worried about where this thing came from and are there more.

hazelrunpack
August 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
I can see why you'd be worried... Where was your puppy born? Could there have been a different species of bot fly there? The breeder might be able to help you identify it in that case. :fingerscr

Burdette
August 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I've sent an e-mail to the breeder but he is here in Nova Scotia too so there wouldn't be any exotic species at his kennel.
Burdette

Shaykeija
August 24th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Ugggg your poor puppy...would not mind getting one of those bugs though and sticking it on my x hubby's butt :laughing:

Hope you puppy feels better...

Dracko
August 24th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I just did receive an email from a friend talking about something very similar. Something called a Cuterebra--a "warble" or larva of a bot fly.

Did it look like this? (caution...graphic picture):

http://www.bright.net:80/~bryanvet/Cuterebra.htm

The dog it was found on was living in New England...

Unfortunately, I clicked! :eek:

coppperbelle
August 24th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Unfortunately, I clicked! :eek:

me too:yuck:

Last winter I remember seeing a news report of people who travelled to the Dominican Republic coming back with something very similar. It happened to a few people in the Toronto area.

Sorry I can't help you but thought I would share that bit of information for people going to the DR this winter.

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 09:09 AM
:sorry: Dracko and coppperbelle--but I did warn you! :o :p

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I've sent an e-mail to the breeder but he is here in Nova Scotia too so there wouldn't be any exotic species at his kennel.
Burdette

I hope he can give you some answers. :fingerscr Maybe it's not exotic--just uncommon? :shrug: I'm just glad you found it and got it removed!

krdahmer
August 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

EWEWEW.... Your poor puppy....just glad to hear it's gone now...hopefully no more will return!

want4rain
August 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
well i didnt look!!!

could it be black fly larva? i vaguely recall hearing they leave eggs under the skin and that they migrate.

-ashley