Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need a new Puppy food

Smiley14
August 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'm so bummed! I've been trying Innova Puppy for Belle for a month now, and her poops are just getting worse and worse. She's gone from loose to downright explosive watery mess now. Took her to the vet to rule out other causes and everything came back negative. Put her back on the crappy grocery store recall food the foster had her on and nice, firm stools within a day. Waited a few days and added in just THREE pieces of Innova to her 1/2 cup crappy food and back to runny messes again. Crappy food only, nice and firm. UGH! I do not want to feed this junk to my poor puppy! I'm so bummed that Innova obviously does not agree with her. It's one of the few kibbles I trust at the moment, and Petey has done so well on it with the raw mix, so I was hoping to get them both on the same diet eventually to make it easier.

So now I need to try a new puppy food. Any suggestions on what else is a good quality puppy food to try that anyone still trusts? I haven't tried Nature's Variety Raw on her yet, I've been waiting for her to get more regulated on the kibble first before introducing anything even richer into her diet (I think this is more rich?) I don't want to give her too much protein either, since I've read too much can be bad for puppies. She's 12 weeks old now. Growing so fast! Right now, I'm leaning towards Canidae's All Life Stages since they don't have anything specifically for puppy. Petey did terrible on it, but I know other dogs do very well with it. Any other thoughts or suggestions on what to try for round two? :) Thanks!

Mia101
August 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I chose Canidae so obviously that's what I'd recommend. But mines not a puppy and I haven't researched if the All Life Stages is OK for puppies.

Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, Solid Gold,,,,,there's a thread in here that lists several good foods.

Here's a site that will tell you names of all 5 and 6 star foods, and their analysis of them:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=innova

Are you feeding dry or canned or both?

Winston
August 24th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Smiley14..I am feeding Orijen fish formula and my boy loves it so far! I just switched him from the regular adult formula...I used the eaglepack holistic transition powder sprinkled on his food when I first made the food change about 4 months ago and we now have no problems with poops, and over all better coat etc..Winston used to never have a solid poop..now that is how they are all the time...I am impressed with the ingrediants too!

http://www.championpetfoods.com/

Cindy

luckypenny
August 24th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I chose Canidae so obviously that's what I'd recommend. But mines not a puppy and I haven't researched if the All Life Stages is OK for puppies.

It is recommended for puppies as well. I had several fosters who started on Canidae and all but one did quite well on it. What food are you feeding Belle now? Maybe there's something in the Innova that is not in the kibble that she does well on? High protein foods are not recommended for giant breed dogs but I haven't heard that it would harm small to medium/large breeds.

Riluke
August 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Luke is almost four months old now and I have had him on Canidae's All Life Stages since we got him. We have had no problem with it, he gobbles it up and looks for more. Just got back from the vet yesterday and she pronounced him healthy as a horse.

Lukka'sma
August 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Big vote here for Orijen:thumbs up

gypsy_girl
August 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I might try an alternate protein source, as if you are getting that reaction from a few kibbles, you may be dealing with an allergen.
You could try the Canidae Lamb and Rice
Orijen Fishy
Go! Salmon and Oatmeal

SnowDancer
August 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
When my Eskimo was a pup we all (groomer, dog boarder etc.) all began to think "digestive enzyme" for the little smooth operator. Despite varying opinions on corn in food etc., the bottom line in our case was that Eskies do not digest corn well - goes right through them, whereas back in the day our hounds never had a problem. We switched him to Fromm's Salmon A La Veg -Eskies do well on fish based diets and his digestion is much improved. He goes probably a bit more than the norm (guess he takes after dear old Dad) and said Dad does feed him overly large pieces of stuff he shouldn't. But all in all we are very happy with the Fromm's 4 Star. (Note I don't give this guy peanut butter in a Kong - never will!)

Smiley14
August 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys!

I don't think it's an allergen, but I could be wrong. Innova is chicken and turkey and the crappy food is chicken by-product and corn and other grainy chemicals and fillers. So both have chicken in them, unless it's the turkey in the Innova. I kept thinking it was just the richer food and higher protein giving her such loose stools, but since it's been a month and has been getting progressively worse, I don't know what that means??

Orijen's puppy food is also chicken and turkey. Their fish formula doesn't say if it's okay for puppies or not, but I would be interested in trying it out for a different protein source as a little test if it is okay for puppies.

Canidae's All Life Stages is fine for puppies, I know a lot of people that feed this to their puppies. It is also chicken, turkey, plus lamb.

The only food I know that is puppy safe and a unique protein source is TO's Ocean Blue. I could try that to test out the protein source theory?

I like Orijen's ingredient list the next best, but it looks very similar to Innova's, so fear I may have the same problem. I'm going to wander into the little pet store by my house that sells these higher quality brands and see if I can pick up some samples or smaller bags to do some more testing. Not sure what else to do or what else to look for! I'm one of those people who knows just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to fully know what I'm talking about. LOL!

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
What was Belle eating before you switched her to Innova? I know you mentioned it in another thread but I can't remember. :o

Smiley14
August 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM
What was Belle eating before you switched her to Innova? I know you mentioned it in another thread but I can't remember. :o

The foster fed her Iams Smart Puppy. :sad: I'm off to the pet store now to see what I can find! I love this store, it's a small Mom and Pop style store that carries all the good brands that the bigger chain petstores don't.

gypsy_girl
August 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
GO! Natural also has a one protein source the Salmon and Oatmeal. Higher protein, "richer food" should not cause progressively worse stools. Maybe your dog needs a higher fiber, maybe an intollerance, could be so many things.
I might try a different protein source entirely, as it is the easiest place to start :fingerscr

brianna079
August 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Well, we had a similar problem (my dobe is 12 weeks as well), where we switched him off his crappy Nutram (firm poops), and onto Chicken Soup for the Puppy lovers Soul which gave him serious expolosive poops. We put him onto Orijen puppy formula, and he LOVES it, and his poops are almost 100%. a big thumbs up for Orijen!! :thumbs up

TeriM
August 29th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Riley amd his brother never did very well on Innova puppy. I personally think it might just be too rich for a lot of pups. I actually suspect that the cottage cheese in Innova puppy is a likely culprit for your problems.

I used the TO Ocean Blue and had good results. I would definately look at the Orijen, Canidae and the Go Natural Salmon.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 02:15 AM
How is Belle doing? :fingerscr

Smiley14
September 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Oh sorry Rainbow! I just saw your question now! The vet and small pet shop owner that carries the higher quality food both recommended a bland protein source--lamb--for now since Belle is showing possible sensitivity to a turkey/chicken combination. They only had California Natural Lamb Puppy in stock for lamb-based puppy food, so I picked up a small bag to give it a try. Not my first choice of food, but better than the crappy stuff at least! So far, she's doing GREAT on it. It's got a very simple ingredient list, but at this point, it is what seems to work best for her. I still would like to try Orijen or Innova or even Canidae's lamb formula down the road, but for now, I think I'll stick with this food since it obviously agrees with her. Her coat is finally starting to get a beautiful shine to it and she has had nice firm poops since day one. I can't find any stores in my area that carry Orijen, but I did find it online. Once she's older, I'd like to give their fish formula a try. I haven't tried any fish based formulas with her yet, other than the salmon oil I've been giving her. Anyway, that's the latest! :)

crazydays
September 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Hi Smiley- Getting the right food is so tricky sometimes! My puppy is on Solid Gold Hund N Flocken puppy--lamb based plus Seameal.
This combination works wonders for her! I get compliments all the time about how healthy she looks and her coat is soft and very shiny. If you can help it avoid the grocery stores. I had a good luck the other day and did not find one that didn't have corn, corn meal or corn gluten-high in the wrong grains.

Good Luck!

Smiley14
September 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Oh I definitely avoid the grocery store foods and even the foods sold at chain pet stores. I buy mine online or at a smaller Mom and Pop pet store by my house that carries the higher qualify foods. California Natural is not my first choice, but it isn't too bad. It's made by Natura, the same company that makes Innova.

http://www.naturapet.com/

And this particular formula is made for puppies with sensitive stomachs. It's considered a hypoallergenic food because of the single protein source and very simple ingredient list.

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=4

Innova is a better quality food from this company, IMO, but she can't tolerate it. Which is why I'm feeding this one for now, but am still hoping to try switching her back over to another adult Innova formula or Orijen down the road.
I'm hoping her seemingly sensitive stomach will get better as she gets older. Since it was only one formula--Innova puppy--that she got so sick on, I can't even say for sure that she has allergies! That was the best guess, so we tried a different protein source, lamb, as our first attempt at switching, and it's worked really well. This just happened to be the only lamb based puppy food carried by the small pet store by my house. Canidae also has a lamb-based puppy food, but since this one is working and because I think (??) they are about the same quality, I'll stick with this one for now since I can buy it in the store instead of online. I have to buy Petey's Innova EVO RM online and it's very expensive for shipping. Makes the food cost almost twice as much! This store doesn't even carry Orijen at all, but I'm willing to pay shipping costs if she will tolerate it when she's older.

Anyway, that's the latest of where we're at! Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this food?

rainbow
September 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM
California Naturals is a good basic food.

Where in Minnesota are you? Orijen is available at these locations:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/Minnesota.aspx

It's also available online from these sources:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/OnlineStoreListing.aspx

One of the online stores carries EVO RM too. The large bag is $59.97 and shipping is free on orders over $50.

http://www.k9cuisine.com/m-17-evo.aspx

Smiley14
September 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
California Naturals is a good basic food.

Where in Minnesota are you? Orijen is available at these locations:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/Minnesota.aspx

It's also available online from these sources:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/OnlineStoreListing.aspx

One of the online stores carries EVO RM too. The large bag is $59.97 and shipping is free on orders over $50.

http://www.k9cuisine.com/m-17-evo.aspx

Thanks Rainbow!!! Those locations are all about 30 minutes or more from me, but that's not too bad and might be worth making a trip to once every few months if I buy in bulk. :) But that's more than I found in my search! Thank you so much!!! I'm going to check into the site with the free shipping because I'm already ordering Petey's online and wasting money on shipping! That is so cool! You just saved me money! :D Thanks!!!!

rainbow
September 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Steph, you are more than welcome. I hope it works out for you. :fingerscr :goodvibes: I also have to travel 40 minutes to the next town to purchase it as the pet store where I live can't get it in. :frustrated:

geisha
September 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
California Natural has done wonders for my senior samoyed. She is on the Herring & Sweet Potato Formula as part of a rotation of different food.
Remember it's what your pup does best on. :thumbs up
In the future you may wish to add other protein sources in the form of table scraps or kibble for variety.:cool: