Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat mounting my arm

chefg
August 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I am rather new to this and I hope you take this strange question seriously. About a month ago, while going from one place to another, I noticed that there was a cat in my back seat. She was extremely emmaciated and appeared to be a stray so I brought her home to nurse her back to health. Her nipples were protruding, so I assumed she had recently delivered. I was unable to find any kittens. I noticed last week that her belly is getting very big. She has been eating a LOT. She helps our dog eat her dinner every night as well as eating her own food. I really think she is pregnant. Anyway, she is displaying some strange behavior and I am wondering whether it is due to pregnancy or if it is just her nature. She has been mounting my arm at night when I am going to sleep. She places her back paws on my arm and sometimes kicks while her front paws are wrapped around my arm. She then nibbles on my wrist sometimes. What the heck??? She is very affectionate and I have had many cats in my life, but never experienced this? Can anyone help?

badger
August 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
I would class this as harmless if unusual behaviour, like hair-chewing or pretend suckling. The cat probably had a miserable early life and finally feels comfortable enough to express her affection (and gratitude!), even if it is a bit weird. It will probably pass but if it bugs you gently shift her or distract her with a string or a toy. Poor thing, thanks for taking her in.
Please have her spayed after the kittens are born, she will come into heat again in a matter of weeks.
Got a picture?

Jim Hall
August 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
My cat blockejead used to do that all the time
i think he thought I was a body pillow

LynLyn
August 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
I think she's just showing you her (immense) gratitude, and I second the spaying.

chefg
August 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
The spaying is definately in her future. She is a beautiful cat and I am looking forward to many years with her, but no more kittens!!! I will be hitting you all up for info the closer she gets to delivering and after she does. I have never had a cat give birth before, so I will bea newbie at that too. Thanks for the welcomes!

krdahmer
August 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome! And thanks for taking this kitty in!:thumbs up

I have a cat that does this and it is more a play behaviour. It definitely means she is settling in with you, which is great. Good luck and would also love to see a picture!

Oh and I'm not 100% but I think dog food is bad for cats...:confused:

Love4himies
August 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Thank you for taking this kitten in. You will find it a wonderful experience to watch the interactions between momma and kittens and the fun of watching the kittens grow.

I have found out from fostering my momma kitty that pregnant and lactating cats should be eating high quality kitten food (wellness, felidae etc.) This ensures high quality, adequate milk production for kittens as well as keeping momma healthy. She needs the extra calories right now and until the kittens are weaned and should therefore have unlimited kitten food at her disposal. She should not be eating dog food as it does not provide her with the proper nutrients that she and her kittens need.

chefg
August 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I will get some of that food. How long before the kittens can be weaned? I want to make sure I can find them good homes while they are still small.

chico2
August 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Chef,thank's from me too for taking care of this girlie,it was her lucky day when she found you:cloud9:
Generally the kittens should be at least 8-10 weeks,I think:confused: my vet has 3 kittens that are 6 weeks old,waay to young in my opinion to be on their own,but they eat wet kittenfood already.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Ya I got some advice when I was taking in Fagan and his two brothers and sisters, I took them from the mother at around 5 weeks (she was a stray and was affraid if I waited longer I wouldn't be able to catch them- it was hard enough at 5 weeks!), although they flourished I think it would have been better to give them another couple weeks at least. And since your girl is calm and ok with you I'd definitely give them at least 8 weeks.