Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brown Patchy Rash on Dog's Penis

Spencer&Wesley
August 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi Everyone!

New here. My Yorkie Spencer (and his brother Wesley) have seasonal allergies and flea bite dermatitis (use Frontline, but still get a few).

We use Chlortrimeton, Benadryl, and Rescue Remedy to relieve itching. Two weeks ago, they both started chewing their paws. They never did that before. My husband and I check for fleas and wash paws after every outing.

It rained here in Central NJ for the last 4 days, so I kept them inside. I used Homeopet Skin and Itch, and it has helped.

We went outside today for the first time in four days. We did our grooming routine, and saw a brown patchy rash on Spencer's penis that was not there yesterday. It looks like big scabs. He once had tiny black dot scabs that came off in about a week. I used peroxide and calendula spray. It does not appear to be itchy.

They were coming along so well, and now this.

Has anyone else experienced this???

PS: they eat raw and homecooked, commercial bully sticks and Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw as treats.

Thanks so much.

mummummum
August 23rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Could it be the dermatitis? The skin is much different there and he may have been licking it raw hence the scabby appearance.

Winston
August 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Sorry I dont know much about the rash but I have a neighbour with 2 yorkies and the female had problems for a long time before they determined her skin problem to be sarcoptic mites?? (spelling??) Perhaps a place to start? what does your vet say?

Cindy

badger
August 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
I would hold off on the peroxide, even diluted, until you find out what it is. Peroxide is not 100% safe. The calendula spray is probably OK.

Spencer&Wesley
August 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you so much for your replies.

It was just so sudden. One day fine, next day big brown rash.

My guys have been scratching since I brought them home. They have been checked so many times by the vet, and we have done blood (RAST) allergy testing. Test showed no direct allergies, slight sensitivity to mold. Vet advised not to do blood work for food allergies, it's just not reliable. I have done so much research on food, done elimination tests, changed diet to raw and home-cooked (not at the same time), and limit treats and starches.

Skin and hair are very healthy. Never showed signs of generalized rash or hair loss. Vet said there was nothing to scrape. After over a year, vet and I determined seasonal allergies (babies don't itch or bite in fall and winter) and flea bite dermatitis. We are diligent about thoroughly checking. Vet said just one bite could cause itching for 3 weeks.

The raw, home-cooked, and limited starches diet has also helped alot. The Homeopet treatment has also helped. It's been 7 days of Homeopet, and they did stop chewing paws. They will lick them maybe once a day.

As far as the brown penile rash, it just has to be some kind of contact dermatitis I think. We tried hard to keep them off the grass on today's walk, but Spencer is a big "marker" on the outside. Perhaps he brushed against a plant or weed.

I will continue with the calendula spray, and keep a close eye on it. If it worsens, I will see the vet. My vet is "traditional", but keeps an open mind about natural remedies. I try to avoid medications whenever possible and lean toward homeopathics and herbals. I tried, last year, to go the natural way for flea prevention, but it just didn't work. My guys don't get annual vaccinations either, just titer tests.

It has been such a pleasure to post here and receive such good replies.

I am interested in everyone's experiences, and don't consider anything "right or wrong", whatever works for you. I can learn so much here, and look forward to reading and researching older posts.

Thanks so much.:thumbs up