Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yogurt

mika140
August 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'm planning to start adding about a tablespoon of yogurt to my dog's kibble each day. From what I've read, it should be plain, unsweetened, live-culture yogurt. I've been able to find that no problem.

My problem comes because I had also read in a book that it should be un-pasteurized. Anyone know if this is true? I've checked several stores, including an organic natural food store and have had no luck finding unpasteurized yogurt.

pitgrrl
August 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I've fed plain, active bacteria, organic (but pasteurized) yogurt for years with nothing but good results, so I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Tommysmom
August 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
I just use plain yogurt, I've never heard anything about the unpasteurized stuff. Sometimes Tommy even shares my activia yogurt too, LOL - I know flavoured isn't great for him, but he absolutely adores it and it's been amazing for his digestive issues.

mummummum
August 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Pasteurization is required pretty much everywhere in North America. In Ontario you can buy unpasteurized milk and milk products directly from a farmer for personal use only but it is not retailed in stores.

mika140
August 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Thnx for the info. Someone had e-mailed me a page from a book regarding feeding yogurt to dogs. Must be out-dated material or maybe the author was just confused....good to know though....guess I won't take the rest of the book for truth.

Mia101
August 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
If the dog is eating a good food like Canidae, do they need yogurt?

gomez
August 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Just as a heads up - some dogs cannot tolerate yogurt - Gomez had very bad side effects hen we tried the yogurt - so keep an eagle eye on any chnages that may seem untoward.

As for the unpasteurized yogurt, maybe the book was European?

mummummum
August 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM
If the dog is eating a good food like Canidae, do they need yogurt?

It depends on the dog. Some need the extra help to maintain a good balance of flora in their system.

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I agree. I feed my dogs Orijen and I still give both of them a tablespoon of plain organic yogurt once a day. :pawprint: