Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat corneal ulcer scar

pravalgi
August 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
My beautiful 6 year old Tortoiseshell Persian had surgery for a deep corneal ulcer ("black body") several years ago. Ever since, she has had a huge scar on her eye. It is white and cloudy and looks like a huge cataract the covers almost her entire eye. I was told this was to be expected and she would have it the rest of her life. It does not seem to bother her at all. The stain tests done by a regular Vet (not an opthomologist) show her eye is otherwise fine. She also seems to still have great sight, altho the Vet. says the scar is probably blocking some sight. Is there anything that could be done about this scar?

sugarcatmom
August 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
If it's just a matter of cosmetic appearance, I'd say leave it alone. As long as she's otherwise fine, I don't really see what difference it makes if she has a scar or not (I'm sure SHE couldn't care less).

pravalgi
August 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Dear sugarcatmom:

thanks for your reply. No, my cats scar doesn't bother me from a cosmetic point of view. She's still gorgeous! I always worry if it is bothering her- altho it doesn't seem to. I think I will just leave it alone as you suggest. I hate stressing her out needlessly. She's had some minor kidney problems which have so far been corrected by perscritpion food. (Her blood work is now normal) But that is obviously of much greater concern to me. Kidney problems are not uncommon in Persians. So far the Vet says she's doing great. Clarice is my first cat and I just love her to pieces. She got me through some very lonely times! She'll be 7 years old on Sept. 1st!