Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog will not sleep at night

beth from balto
August 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
:dog: [I[/I]Hello,
I have a Finnish Spitz Mix, that was thought to be a little Pom.
My problem is he is about 6 years old and is a real Alfa, I'm the omega,He now nibbles the blankets pillows, any thing he wants, and he sleeps on our bed, so he is keeping us up all night.He will growl and bite me or my husband,if we interupte him.With age he does act better in someways,I do keep a leash on him in case I need to get him fast. Is there anyone else with this problem?
Been to the Vet, Dog is fine.
Please Help!
Thank you

mummummum
August 23rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
I think your problem is a teensy wee bit bigger than "he won't sleep at night" ! :laughing: It sounds like you and your dog need a good dose of "Nothing in Life is Free" http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
and to go back to the beginning with basic training. I would also not allow him to sleep on the bed at all ~ at least until you re-establish your respective places in "the food chain".

jessi76
August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
I agree w/ mummummum 100%! it definitely sounds like the roles need to reversed (you need to be alpha, not the dog!), respect needs to developed, and freedom needs to be EARNED. You should certainly look into doing some basic training with this dog.

clm
August 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
You can bet you're not going to get too much sleep the first few nights he's not allowed on the bed either. :laughing:

Sounds like he's been getting away with a lot, you have some training ahead of you. Let us know how you make out.

Cindy

beth from balto
August 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the replies.
I will try to train him.
:pawprint:

SnowDancer
August 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
How long have you had your Spitz? If you are in bed alone is he better behaved (i.e. won't growl etc.) - or if your husband is in bed alone? I guess what I am asking is if there is a jealousy issue here. I have had 2 extremely Alpha Dachshunds but sleeping was not an issue - their 10 lb. bodies just took up the entire bed - and they wouldn't let chewing interfere with their sleep. BUT I do have a form of a Spitz - a 22 lb., male, 3 year old American Eskimo - with very big teeth! He is not Alpha but is very needy. He is also a chewer - and has a particular love for blankets, duvets, pillows, sheets - you name it. But he doesn't usually chew when in bed - just during daytime when he gets into bed for a snooze. Since my dog is a boy, he prefers Mommy as so often is the case - and since my husband kicks, waves his arms about, snores etc. my husband often keeps us both up, so we retire to the spare room and there are no issues except for him moving about, scratching etc. I mention jealousy because the lady who home boards my dog - and he really loves her, and the Spitz breed often has a limited circle of loved ones - was not happy to discover that she now has a boyfriend. She has many male and female friends and he was always happy to get tummy rubs etc. from them while being boarded and especially liked one of her male platonic friends - then along came the boyfriend. He sensed the difference right away and while he has not tried to bite the boyfriend he keeps his distance and a watchful eye. It was funny, one night he had to stay with his assistant groomer due to the dog boarder leaving for vacation. He also loves said assistant groomer - but had never met her boyfriend who now lives with her. Well boyfriend slept on the couch - was easier after getting up to go to the bathroom - although the groomer could come and go as she pleased. The funny thing is that the groomer has now had several of her clients spend nights and in each case when the dogs were boys, the boyfriend moved to the couch. So something is up there. Definitely your dog needs serious training. The Spitz temperament can range from mild (I guess many consider the Keeshond to be the most even-tempered) to somewhat - okay - very aggressive) - just as my Dachshunds could be. My other 3 Dachshunds were very even tempered - guess I was lucky my Alphas were also benevolent. Training will also be life long. Try to anticipate a situation and stop it in its tracks - I do this my our guy - still trying to get my husband to cooperate. The Spitz are very smart - and extremely stubborn. It will take a lot of work - hope there is peace eventually. Nice to have another Spitz on the board.