Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This time, I just can't do it...

Raumas
August 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Everybody,

I was just contacted by our county's animal shelter about an Akita female with 4 puppies they want to put into rescue.

I've rescued and fostered Akitas in the past. (Working in cooperation with the local Akita rescue group, of course.) They evidently remembered me from the last dog I worked with.

But the idea of bringing a Akita female with 4 pups into my own Akita female's home would be inviting disaster. I should also admit that I have doubts about my own ability to maintain some emotional distance where babies are concerned. In the past, I worked with 1 and 2 year olds. That was hard enough.

I am doing footwork for them. (Notifying my contacts...etc.) I'll probably wind up doing the initial evaluation on the dogs.

It just doesn't feel like enough.

Raumas

Jim Hall
August 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I know that feeling every time i volunteer at adoption days I always feel a liitle pang of guilt because i can't take all the cats the deserve a good home back with me.
YOu do what you can and that's all any one can expect from you.

Frenchy
August 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
It just doesn't feel like enough.

Raumas

I know the feeling ! But you are doing something , talking about them , asking for help , sometimes it's all we can do , but it does save some animals ! :goodvibes:

mummummum
August 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Don't beat yourself up Raumas ~ you're doing far more than most and you are doing the right thing for your family.

erykah1310
August 23rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
gawd... If i were closer I would be up for it.
I have been on an Akita search for some time now... however looking for show quality, but in reality... just an Akita would be my dream come true enough.

Putting the word out will help... dont be too hard on yourself that you cant do more, we all have limits.
:grouphug:

Raumas
August 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks Everybody,

To follow up:
I stopped by the shelter and did a quick evaluation on the dogs. This confirmed my initial concern that trying to bring these dogs back into my own Akita's house wouldn't work at all.

The mother dog was growling and lunging at everyone who came close to her pups. (Not a big surprise.) Though to her credit, she calmed down pretty quickly when she saw me assume nonthreatening body language and voice tones. She even backed off a bit and let the pups come check me out.

To make a long story short, I got the sense that the pups had been bred for fighting. (They looked to be half pitbull.)

I passed on my information and suspicsions to the local Akita rescue group. They were able to dig a little deeper.

The dog's owner had been arrested, and the dogs were taken into protective custody. When it became apparent the owner wasn't getting released anytime soon was when I first got called.

The mother had spent her entire life on a chain, with no socialization whatsoever. The pups are already showing signs of abnormally high aggression. Although there's no tangible evidence the dogs were intented for fighting, the rescue groups (there's two involved at this point) tend to think my earily suspicsion was correct.

It doesn't look good for any of the dogs, but nobody's entirely given up yet.

I guess I don't need to explain my feelings on unethical breeding.

Raumas